Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What football team do you follow?
49ers 30 61.22%
Raiders 12 24.49%
Other 7 14.29%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:21 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil1212 View Post
Perhaps because my "observations" are based on numbers (aka facts)? All I'm trying to say is that based on the numbers, the 49ers have been the better franchise historically. Sorry if the truth hurts!

So here's the "back-up" to my claims:
Team Encyclopedias and Records - Pro-Football-Reference.com

More championships, more total wins, more wins since 1970 (year of AFL-NFL merger), more playoff wins total, more playoff wins since AFL-NFL merger, better overall winning percentage, more MVP's...do I need to continue? By all widely-regarded measures of success the 49ers have been better. What about this do you not understand? Sure, you win in the "diehard fanbase" category. Congrats on joining the likes of Cleveland.

I know it seems like I'm a diehard Niners fan...really its not the case. I just get exasperated in all facets of life when people refuse to acknowledge the truth.
1. Total wins is irrelevant because both teams did not start in the same year. The San Francisco 49ers first played in 1946, whereas the Oakland Raiders first played in 1960, giving them a 14 year advantage.

2. The Oakland Raiders have the better overall winning percentage:

- The Oakland Raiders = .550
- San Francisco 49ers = .549

http://www.profootballhof.com/UserFi...Start_2011.pdf

3. The Oakland Raiders have a .500+ record against more NFL teams:

- The Oakland Raiders = 24/31
- The San Francisco 49ers = 22/31
Oakland Raiders | The Team of the Decades

49ers vs. Any Team All Time Records

4. The Oakland Raiders is synonymous with football.

5. The Oakland Raiders are the only team to win a league championship in in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s. And thus far the only team to appear in a Superbowl in four different decades.

6. The Oakland Raiders are the 9th Most Hated Franchise in Sports History.

Top 20 Most Hated Franchises, Programs, and Teams in Sports | Bleacher Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 08:42 AM

330 posts, read 749,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
1. Total wins is irrelevant because both teams did not start in the same year. The San Francisco 49ers first played in 1946, whereas the Oakland Raiders first played in 1960, giving them a 14 year advantage.

2. The Oakland Raiders have the better overall winning percentage:

- The Oakland Raiders = .550
- San Francisco 49ers = .549

http://www.profootballhof.com/UserFi...Start_2011.pdf

3. The Oakland Raiders have a .500+ record against more NFL teams:

- The Oakland Raiders = 24/31
- The San Francisco 49ers = 22/31
Oakland Raiders | The Team of the Decades

49ers vs. Any Team All Time Records

4. The Oakland Raiders is synonymous with football.

5. The Oakland Raiders are the only team to win a league championship in in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s. And thus far the only team to appear in a Superbowl in four different decades.

6. The Oakland Raiders are the 9th Most Hated Franchise in Sports History.

Top 20 Most Hated Franchises, Programs, and Teams in Sports | Bleacher Report
1. Which is why I also included "total wins since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. Which SF is leading.

2. You are using old data. SF is now leading. Check the current stats, SF is now ahead: Team Encyclopedias and Records - Pro-Football-Reference.com

3. Okay, got me there I suppose. Kind of a random statistic.

4. This is subjective. Although it would be hard to argue the Niners and guys like Montana and Rice aren't synonymous with football either.

5. So what you are saying is, "The Raiders haven't won a Superbowl in almost 30 years"

6. Congrats on being in ninth place for "most hated". What an objective measure of success! Not to mention, the article you reference mentions your crazy owner and "constant scandals" as part of they reason they are hated. Is this something a franchise should aspire for?

This is too easy...

Old 12-09-2011, 04:33 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Who got it better then us?

Quote:
1. Which is why I also included "total wins since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. Which SF is leading.

2. You are using old data. SF is now leading. Check the current stats, SF is now ahead: Team Encyclopedias and Records - Pro-Football-Reference.com

4. This is subjective. Although it would be hard to argue the Niners and guys like Montana and Rice aren't synonymous with football either.

5. So what you are saying is, "The Raiders haven't won a Superbowl in almost 30 years"

6. Congrats on being in ninth place for "most hated". What an objective measure of success! Not to mention, the article you reference mentions your crazy owner and "constant scandals" as part of they reason they are hated. Is this something a franchise should aspire for?

This is too easy...

Old 12-09-2011, 09:19 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,744 times
Quote:

This is too easy...
1. You are cherry-picking facts to support your view, and ignoring the facts that do not.

2. The 2011 season is not over. Granted, it's close.

3. It's not random.

6. Swing and miss! I was alluding to the fact that the Oakland Raiders are synonymous with football, and the NFL.

The Oakland Raiders is not the average franchise, they are mavericks.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
1. You are cherry-picking facts to support your view, and ignoring the facts that do not.

2. The 2011 season is not over. Granted, it's close.

3. It's not random.

6. Swing and miss! I was alluding to the fact that the Oakland Raiders are synonymous with football, and the NFL.

The Oakland Raiders is not the average franchise, they are mavericks.
Raiders might not even make the playoffs this year and there is no way Raiders will match the 49ers record this year.

I have read in some place that Raiders are one of the worst franchises' in NFL.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:54 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
So Cal definately has more 'ghetto' folks out there then Bay Area.
thats understandable, but i hope the Raiders stay put in the Bay Area, don't bring them back to L.A.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
thats understandable, but i hope the Raiders stay put in the Bay Area, don't bring them back to L.A.
L.A does not have a pro football team though. You guys need one.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
L.A does not have a pro football team though. You guys need one.
yeah but I don't want it to be the Raiders, i prefer the Rams instead

Old 12-20-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
yeah but I don't want it to be the Raiders, i prefer the Rams instead
or a new team?

Old 12-20-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
or a new team?
yeah, overall, any team except the Raiders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland