Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 04:13 PM

218 posts, read 483,613 times

Advertisements

Is the usual yuppie casual wear of button down shirts, normal sized jeans, brown shoes and maybe a sport coat ok for SF? Or do I need to go out and buy skinny jeans, narrow ties, thick glasses with a wide frame, and a trucker hat in order to fit in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 04:16 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
Wear whatever you want. I don't think there is a particular dress code.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Wear whatever you want. I don't think there is a particular dress code.
True but I don't wanna look out of place either. When in Rome and all that good stuff..

Old 01-12-2012, 04:32 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post
Is the usual yuppie casual wear of button down shirts, normal sized jeans, brown shoes and maybe a sport coat ok for SF? Or do I need to go out and buy skinny jeans, narrow ties, thick glasses with a wide frame, and a trucker hat in order to fit in?
People don't really care how people dress here so what you described for yuppie is fine. SF isn't know for having a fashion forward populace. However, if you want to do the "when in Rome" approach then here is a list of typical SF wear:

Northface fleece and jackets or just about any outdoor brand jacket (i.e. Columbia, Marmot) instead of a heavy wool coat

Levi's jeans

Khakis

Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic

Lightweight scarves rather than heavy wool scarves

Boots or classic sneakers

Hoodies

Bicycles from Public or Bianchi, Trek, or Specialized

Some of the more common men's styles are hipster, West coast preppy (clean cut with wind blown hair like they just went sailing), or hippy/Bohemian, anarchist, typical business dress

Aviator sunglasses or Ray Bans - as I think is popular in all cities where hipsters reside

Old 01-12-2012, 04:41 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
Quote:
True but I don't wanna look out of place either. When in Rome and all that good stuff..
San Francisco has such a diverse population that I don't think there is any one particular type of dress code. You will find all kinds of clothing in SF as I'm sure I would find the same in NY.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:04 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
Quote:
You can dress the way you like as long as you keep your offensive and childish mouth shut.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
People don't really care how people dress here so what you described for yuppie is fine. SF isn't know for having a fashion forward populace. However, if you want to do the "when in Rome" approach then here is a list of typical SF wear:

Northface fleece and jackets or just about any outdoor brand jacket (i.e. Columbia, Marmot) instead of a heavy wool coat

Levi's jeans

Khakis

Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic

Lightweight scarves rather than heavy wool scarves

Boots or classic sneakers

Hoodies

Bicycles from Public or Bianchi, Trek, or Specialized

Some of the more common men's styles are hipster, West coast preppy (clean cut with wind blown hair like they just went sailing), or hippy/Bohemian, anarchist, typical business dress

Aviator sunglasses or Ray Bans - as I think is popular in all cities where hipsters reside
Sounds mostly like the rest of the country. Although thanks for the bike suggestion. I'm definitely going to buy one. That should be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
San Francisco has such a diverse population that I don't think there is any one particular type of dress code. You will find all kinds of clothing in SF as I'm sure I would find the same in NY.
Most people dress like yuppies here - the way i described. Although I do see a few hipster types downtown, for the most part they're in Brooklyn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
You can dress the way you like as long as you keep your offensive and childish mouth shut.
Very rude.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:57 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,046 times
> How should I dress in San Francisco?

Cross works . . .

Old 01-12-2012, 06:33 PM

291 posts, read 958,216 times
Dress code??? This is California! Where I work there's people in shorts/t-shirt and people in "yuppie casual wear" (as you described)...either way, just follow your heart's desire you will be fine.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:00 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,780 times
Just dress like a mousy yuppie with a slight hint of hipster--just make sure you don't stand out--and you'll fit in, don't worry.
Make sure the look is as conformist and boring as possible, and you won't be stoned to death.

Last edited by alexxiz; 01-12-2012 at 07:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland