Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,539 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

After living in NYC for years and thinking we had mastered the blood sport that is New York real estate, my wife and I are moving to the Bay Area and realizing that we need a "South Bay for Dummies" guide to understand the unique aspects of renting in the area. In particular, we have two fundamental questions:

1) Our jobs are in Mountain View and that seems like a reasonable place to live (a nice mix of walkable streets, downtown amenities, and two-bedrooms for less than $2,500). However, are there other communities close by that we should consider?

2) How do we go about finding an apartment? For instance, is everything Craigslist-focused or do people use rental brokers? And how far in advance do folks typically start looking before move-in?

Thanks for helping these two "Dummies" get up to speed! And do let me know if you have any questions about a move in the other direction!!!

Sincerely,
South Bay Bound
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:44 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybound View Post
Hi there,

After living in NYC for years and thinking we had mastered the blood sport that is New York real estate, my wife and I are moving to the Bay Area and realizing that we need a "South Bay for Dummies" guide to understand the unique aspects of renting in the area. In particular, we have two fundamental questions:

1) Our jobs are in Mountain View and that seems like a reasonable place to live (a nice mix of walkable streets, downtown amenities, and two-bedrooms for less than $2,500). However, are there other communities close by that we should consider?
Downtown amenities is the challenge here. There are plenty of walkable streets - from 280/85 to 101 it is almost pancake flat. But for the most part, it's a string of suburbs. University Ave, Palo Alto might work but it's far too expensive; perhaps downtown Redwood City might fit the bill for you better.

Quote:
2) How do we go about finding an apartment? For instance, is everything Craigslist-focused or do people use rental brokers? And how far in advance do folks typically start looking before move-in?
I've always used Craigslist and I spend a month or two looking for the right mix of stuff that I like. There's a lot of garbage apartments built in the '50s and '60s with no insulation and no updates, and finding anything else that's within a reasonable budget is a major headache, because the major complexes spam Craigslist mercilessly.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:28 PM

96 posts, read 299,872 times
Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks for helping these two "Dummies" get up to speed! And do let me know if you have any questions about a move in the other direction!!!

Sincerely,
South Bay Bound
1. Downtown Mountain View is cute and has some good restaurants, but aside from about a four block stretch, there isn't much else to walk to. There is a Caltrain station for getting up and down the Peninsula. If you haven't already spent time here, be prepared to find that you will need to get in your car for almost everything.
2. Craigslist is pretty much it, though I suppose it's possible some of the companies in the area might provide some sort of housing assistance.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
2) How do we go about finding an apartment? For instance, is everything Craigslist-focused or do people use rental brokers?
In addition to Craigslist pick up a copy of the 300 page free "Apartments for Rent" magazine. This can be found at major supermarkets like Safeway or Lucky.

Google maps can also be used to search for apartment complexes. Then use the Walkscore website to check the walkablity of the address.

apartment mountain view ca - Google Maps

Yelp can also be used to find apartments.

Apartment Mountain View

Apartment Sunnyvale

Old 02-09-2012, 11:11 PM

57 posts, read 231,058 times
I just went through this, unfortunately Craigslist is it. That means filtering through tons of JUNK, tons of APTS if thats not what you want, and tons of ANTI PET people. What I did find was that if the ad doesnt say "NO PETS" then try asking...3 our of 7 I asked via email, said they would consider it based ont he strength of my application. Be ready to showcase your strengths (factor of income over rent rate, job stability, credit score, etc). With all that said, i looked at over 200 ads Crisglist, narrowed my list down to 3 places to view, and just recently got one of those 3 places. The other two didnt show as well. Also, do NOT hesitate to offer a lower price, all 3 were willing to take less than the advertised price.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,324 times
I'm considering a move to the Bay area next year and have been using Padmapper to check out places to rent. It's a map-based appication that pulls from Craigslist ads (and other places too), so you can see exactly where the listing is. You can also sort by various preferences ($, sq ft, pets, walkability, etc.). It's a much more palatable way to peruse listings than just diving into the mayhem of Craigslist, I think. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:14 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Redwood City is THE value priced downtown area on the Peninsula.

BTW - Mt. View is not really considered part of the "South Bay" proper. Essentially, the "South Bay" is the 408, more or less.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:56 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Mountain View and Palo Alto are all very similar in terms of the type of apartments and the type of lifestyle. Pretty much just take your pick from these towns.

Quote:
People don't use rental brokers around here. There's two main ways to find an apartment:

First, Craigslist.
Second, driving around and stopping at the "Management Offices" of the larger apartment complexes. Many of these are open on weekends. Stop in, talk to the them, get a tour of the apartments, etc.

You should'nt need more than two weeks in advance to look. In many cases you can rent the same day or weekend.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:29 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
In addition to Craigslist pick up a copy of the 300 page free "Apartments for Rent" magazine. This can be found at major supermarkets like Safeway or Lucky.

Google maps can also be used to search for apartment complexes. Then use the Walkscore website to check the walkablity of the address.

apartment mountain view ca - Google Maps

Yelp can also be used to find apartments.

Apartment Mountain View

Apartment Sunnyvale
This is just me, but I hate those "for rent" magazines. They only feature corporate, cookie cutter apartments that gouge you on the rent.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:16 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
www.bayrentals.com is what we used to use (been a while since the need), but this is what many owners would use exclusively to fill their units and houses. Always worked, provided many possible places to look at every morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland