Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 PM

18 posts, read 109,015 times

Advertisements

Moving to bay area from east coast, and I'm working in San Mateo so commute should be doable from either place. Questions:
#1 Quake Risk. San Andreas fault runs near both cities, but isn't San Francisco prone to liquefaction? The only quake I've experienced was a 5.8, and it honestly terrified me, so liquefaction definitively worries me, as well as the overall risk (looking into SOMA neighborhood in San Francisco).
#2 Overall differences in lifestyle. San Francisco is more of a big city with all of the landmarks while San Jose is more of a suburb with a small downtown, if I'm right.
#3 Recreation. Activities, indoors in outdoors to do in each city
#4 Safety. I'm coming from Baltimore, so I'm used to crime, but I still would like to live in a very safe area.
#5 Your personal opinion.

Before I was certain I wanted to move to San Jose, but now I think I might be happier in SF, but maybe San Jose is still the better place.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 07:43 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingwest236 View Post
Moving to bay area from east coast, and I'm working in San Mateo so commute should be doable from either place. Questions:
#1 Quake Risk. San Andreas fault runs near both cities, but isn't San Francisco prone to liquefaction? The only quake I've experienced was a 5.8, and it honestly terrified me, so liquefaction definitively worries me, as well as the overall risk (looking into SOMA neighborhood in San Francisco).
#2 Overall differences in lifestyle. San Francisco is more of a big city with all of the landmarks while San Jose is more of a suburb with a small downtown, if I'm right.
#3 Recreation. Activities, indoors in outdoors to do in each city
#4 Safety. I'm coming from Baltimore, so I'm used to crime, but I still would like to live in a very safe area.
#5 Your personal opinion.

Before I was certain I wanted to move to San Jose, but now I think I might be happier in SF, but maybe San Jose is still the better place.

Thanks!

1 San Jose and San Francisco are both very prone to sustain massive damage from an earthquake--you cant escape that in the Bay Area.

2. Lifestyle is a matter of opinion, your summation of SF and SJ are corrent as far as SF being a big city, urban environment whils SJ, having been developed later is more autodependent and has a smaller downtown core. It all depends of the lifestyle your looking for.

3. I call it a tie as far as outdoor recreation-both have loads of amenities.

4. San Jose has a much lower crime rate(is routinely rated one of the safest big cities) but regular street smarts should be just fine in SF.

5. My personal opinion is a cross between 2--namely Oakland. LOLjk.

You should visit each and see which is best for you.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:50 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
1. Nobody can predict earthquakes. You might be asleep, at work, driving, at the gym, out of town, or doing God knows what when the big one hits. There's nothing you can do about it, so this shouldn't really be a determining factor.
2. Pretty much
3. It depends on your interests. What do you enjoy doing for fun? Hiking? Photography? Staying inside playing video games? There's plenty to do in both cities and if you have a car, you can check out other parts of the Bay as well
4. SJ has way less crime overall than SF, but you need to mention which specific neighborhoods you're considering for us to be able to help you
5. Personally, I hate San Jose. It's not a terrible place to live by any means, but I would be bored out of my mind if I lived there. Too suburban and bland for my tastes, but that's because I like the city life- warts and all

Old 02-11-2012, 09:10 PM

538 posts, read 1,191,153 times
First, the commute from SJ would be quite a bit longer than from SF to San Mateo.
Second, if you are leaning towards what San Jose has to offer, you don't have to limit yourself. There are plenty of places on the Peninsula or in East Bay that are a better deal in many respects.

5. Living in San Jose only makes sense if you work there or somewhere close.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:47 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,075,505 times
There is just no there there in San Jose, it's just really boring endless suburbia. If you really want a big suburban house with a picket fence then yeah it might work but prices there aren't cheap by any means. I'd definitely look at any of the towns up and down the Peninsula way before I looked at San Jose, they're suburban but they have a good bit of charm--in most towns in San Mateo County and in some Santa Clara County towns there's usually an old central downtown area dating from around the 1930's with a cluster of restaurants and shops and so on. San Jose kind of has some charm here and there but not enough for my liking considering how massive and sprawly and beige it is.

As for quakes they are just a part of life here and you either cope with it or you don't. The worst damage in a quake will usually happen in landfill areas, which are basically where soil was dumped into the Bay to create new land to build on. Areas like the Marina in SF, pretty much anywhere in the city of Alameda, and a lot of areas along the bay are like this, you can get maps showing where the biggest liquifaction danger is. The Hayward Fault has less of a chance of a major quake than the San Andreas, but it runs right under a very heavily populated area. The San Andreas also runs through or near a really heavily populated area all along San Mateo County. There's really no way to escape the danger of a quake unless you stay far, far away from quake faults, and even then you might get a freak quake somewhere like Chicago or NYC.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:55 AM

46 posts, read 225,980 times
In San Francisco, you mostly have to worry about property alongside the bay- the Marina District, the Embarcadero, SOMA, the Eastern part of Portrero and Bayview/Hunter's point. The Ocean side is much lower risk of liquefaction, and most of the middle part is pretty solid bedrock (hence all the hills). There are a few parts in the middle where its more of a problem, like the Mission District, which used to to have rivers going through it that were built over. Here's a liquefaction risk map for reference Earthquake Liquefaction Susceptibility and here's a good site for finding information on earthquakes and the Bay Area ABAG Earthquake and Hazards Program

I'd pick San Francisco over San Jose any day, but that's just my preference. If you want more land, hotter summers, easier parking, lower crime rate, go with San Jose (if not San Mateo, which you didn't mention so I'll assume there's a reason for it). San Francisco has cooler summers, hotter nightlife, better architecture, more to do.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,120,439 times
San Mateo has a pretty nice, walkable, downtown scene as well. If I were working in San Mateo, I'd live either in San Mateo or SF -- definitely not San Jose.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
he Hayward Fault has less of a chance of a major quake than the San Andreas, but it runs right under a very heavily populated area.
Actually the Hayward Fault is overdue for a big quake. Probably more-so than the San Andreas.
USGS Release: The Hayward Fault: America’s Most Dangerous? (3/20/2008 1:00:00 PM)

Old 02-12-2012, 02:00 PM

18 posts, read 109,015 times
Thanks for all of the replies.
I am open to living ins San Mateo. The only reason I'm wary of San Francisco is crime and liquefaction, as all the apartments that I can afford and like are in the SOMA area. I especially like SOMA Residences, which is in a liquefaction zone, and less than a block from 6th street, which I've heard is notorious for crime. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2012, 02:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,075,505 times
Liquefaction risk map:

Susceptibility Map of the San Francisco Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Actually the Hayward Fault is overdue for a big quake. Probably more-so than the San Andreas.
USGS Release: The Hayward Fault: America’s Most Dangerous? (3/20/2008 1:00:00 PM)
What I meant is that, from what I've read, a Hayward fault quake would be at max somewhere around 7 or less on the scale, while the San Andreas could create one up to more like 8 or so. But certainly if a 6.8 quake hit right under downtown Berkeley it would cause a lot more damage than a 7.5 quake in the remote hills outside San Jose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland