Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 04:37 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,037,262 times

Advertisements

This might seem like a stupid question, but it's actually not.

When I moved to LA from NYC several years ago, I was told that refrigerators (and sometimes stoves) were "optional" in the apartments and that most tenants supplied their own.

Of course I didn't know this when I moved. I came from a city where refrigerators and other kitchen appliances were a GIVEN no matter where you lived.

So....is this a statewide thing or only something concentrated in the southern half of the state?

Thinking about relocating if everything goes well, but I'd like to know this in advance. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 04:39 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,976,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
This might seem like a stupid question...
It's actually a fairly common question.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:42 PM

4,327 posts, read 6,294,834 times
I think this is much more common in Germany than here in the US. I've never heard of this in the Bay Area and every apartment that I've rented here has had a full set of appliances (some not in great condition though).

Its much more common to not have a refrigerator or a washer/dryer when you're buying in a new construction development vs renting.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
It's actually a fairly common question.
I only said it might be stupid, because until I moved to LA, I never knew such a thing existed.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:02 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,247,614 times
When we went looking for a rental last year there was one place we looked at (out of maybe ten) that had no refrigerator. Easily off our list - was a mistake to be on there but I never thought to ask about 'do you have a fridge'.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:40 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,087,016 times
It's not a thing in the Bay Area, landlords will pretty much always supply the kitchen appliances. Problem is sometimes they're so decrepit that you have no choice but to buy a new oven or fridge just so you can live properly, because the landlord is so cheap they won't do anything about it. So no, it's not a thing like in the LA area.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
It's not a thing in the Bay Area, landlords will pretty much always supply the kitchen appliances. Problem is sometimes they're so decrepit that you have no choice but to buy a new oven or fridge just so you can live properly, because the landlord is so cheap they won't do anything about it. So no, it's not a thing like in the LA area.
For the rents SF charges you would think the appliances would be up to date. Not cool.

I'm currently paying more $1,100 for my apartment and it didn't have a fridge. The property manager was nice enough to get me one. It's a used one, but it works really well and I'm not complaining.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:47 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,087,016 times
Yeah apartments in SF can be REALLY decrepit because a lot of the landlords do zero maintenance even though they're racking up tens of thousands of dollars a month, and paying tax bills based on what the price of the property was 30 years ago. One place I had was infested at one point or another with rats, mice, and bedbugs, and we had to buy a stove because the landlord refused to replace the broken one the place came with. And the walls looked like they'd been painted by a psycho, so we had to repaint them. Oh and there was mildew everywhere. When we moved out I realized me and my girlfriend had paid the landlord about $40,000 in rent over the years, just to live in such a dump.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Yeah apartments in SF can be REALLY decrepit because a lot of the landlords do zero maintenance even though they're racking up tens of thousands of dollars a month, and paying tax bills based on what the price of the property was 30 years ago. One place I had was infested at one point or another with rats, mice, and bedbugs, and we had to buy a stove because the landlord refused to replace the broken one the place came with. And the walls looked like they'd been painted by a psycho, so we had to repaint them. Oh and there was mildew everywhere. When we moved out I realized me and my girlfriend had paid the landlord about $40,000 in rent over the years, just to live in such a dump.
LMFAO!!!!

I'm sorry, but the last part was funny (even though it was meant to be I'm sure).

Wow! Didn't know it was that bad. At least NYC does major renovations BEFORE it charges you crazy rent prices. I don't know how I would handle roaches or mice today as I haven't seen too many in the LA area.

Don't get me wrong, they do exist, but I rarely see them and definitely no mice or rats (in the apartments). EWWWWWWWW!!!

Old 03-16-2012, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,195 times
Seems like it's a mostly SoCal thing.. When we moved from Berkeley to Anaheim 8 years ago, we had to buy a new fridge. When we moved to Downtown LA we found that most places included all appliances and sold it. Luckily the new place we're moving to in the Eastbay has appliances as well, but it's something we know to look out for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland