Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:35 AM

23 posts, read 21,573 times

Advertisements

I was wondering were to live in bay area any advice would help here are some info about me

25 years old strait Male
college graduate single
job will be in hayward beside san mateo bridge
making around 60k

things i want

young professional scene
bars/clubs
i prefer my crowd mostly caucasian and some asian
nice gym
attractive females
no more than 35 miles from work

things i dont want

not too hipster
lots of blacks or hispanics.. nothing against them just my preference in females

I am looking at san jose, rock ridge, mission bay, and marina (maybe too expensive). but im not sure what would fit the bill also let me know how bad my commute would be.. i would have my own car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
oh boy ... gotta get some popcorn for this.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,665 times
Where are you from? Nebraska?

You and NYCtoSF should get along juuuust fine.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:59 AM

i understand if you dont like my preferences to each his own... but any advice on what city or neighborhood is best match and advice for the commute?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:33 AM

457 posts, read 756,982 times
Hayward is a bad commute from San Francisco by car. The Bay Bridge is backed up crazy during rush hour. Easiest option would be to stay in the East Bay, somewhere in Oakland or nice areas of Hayward. You can also look further south in Fremont and Newark, but I wouldn't go further south to San Jose or Milipitas.

The commute on 880 is horrendous in the morning. Parts of San Mateo or Peninsula may also work if you can quickly get on to the San Mateo bridge, but then you have to pay toll.

Also, to your other questions. Check out the bay area demographics. None of these areas will be exclusively white or asian. I think if you go further to east bay suburbs like Walnut Creek, Pleasonton, Danville etc. you probably will hitting your sweet spot for demographics. The other alternative is San Francisco, which is heavily white and asian. Another thing to remember that "Asian" in Bay Area is very diverse and includes East Asians as well South Asian (Indians, Afganis etc.) So even through Fremont demographic data will say "Asian", I believe a significant portion of that will be Indians.

One more thing, I don't have a problem with your dating preferences. But you are moving to the most diverse area in the country, so stating your racial preferences in public will not be embraced. Also it is ok to state "I prefer dating x ethnicity", but NOT "I don't prefer to live where there are a lot of x ethnicity/race"

Old 03-28-2012, 11:39 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,081,480 times
I guess it's positive that the job market in the Bay Area has gotten strong enough that people are starting to hire racists.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:41 AM

109 posts, read 300,147 times
you should move to omaha or des moines. perhaps some cities in Texas would work too. but, if it's too late to turn down the job, I would recommend somewhere on the penninsula for you. plenty of dbag sports bars there and minimal hipsters. but, 60k a year won't make you too desirable, if i were to generalize.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 AM

180 posts, read 211,357 times
If you don't want to live around hispanic and black women, you'd want to avoid most of the East Bay. Marina District in San Francisco sounds like your best fit, but the commute will be awful. It might be better driving down 101 and cross the bridge there instead of the Bay Bridge. I'm assuming you have nothing against hispanic or black people, you just aren't attracted to them... However, you're thread comes across as if you just don't like hispanic or black people period, which explains the answers you've received so far. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here lol.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:56 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,793 times
You're going to have to compromise somewhere:

For the urban vibe you want, you have SF, Oakland, San Jose, maybe Palo Alto if you don't mind more suburban.

SF is way too far, the commute could easily be 2 hours.
Oakland doesn't meet your demographics.
San Jose might be OK, it's too small for my tastes but other like it.
Palo Alto is very white, very affluent, but the sidewalks roll up at midnight.

Anyways, you can't afford SF or the Peninsula. Not sure where you're coming from, but $60k here is like minimum wage in most of the country.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:40 PM

dmode and gone down south great advice.. yes the position makes 60k here in NC so i imagine it might be more like 75 there but i hadnt ironed out the details yet... is san jose a bad commute to hayward?

I have heard that Santana Row would be a nice area in San Jose with attractive females..with that commute to hayward be bad?.. google maps says its 30 min.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland