Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 06:08 PM

84 posts, read 143,274 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Berkeley this summer and trying to make some decisions about neighborhoods, schools, etc. We have visited for a very short time, but won't be able to get back down before we have to make some big choices.

In my conversations with school directors, etc., I have heard a few comments about (for example) how "inconvenient" it would be to live in north Berkeley and have to drive to south Berkeley for a school or program, etc. When I was in town, Berkeley seemed quite small and manageable, traffic-wise. Am I wrong? Are there some "commutes" within the city limits that I should absolutely avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 07:17 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Traffic in Berkeley sucks. People are terrible drivers- absent minded, slow, inconsiderate, indecisive, etc

For a relatively small city, it takes forever to get anywhere. You might not notice it at first, but if you drive around town enough, you'll quickly know what I mean...

Old 04-03-2012, 07:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
The freeway is only on the west side of town, so anyone who needs to get on the freeway needs to drive all the way through town. The main ateries are always clogged most times of the day. And the speed limit is 30 or less in the entire city. There are lots of round abouts, one way streets, etc.

If you needed to drive to let's say: Ashby and Telegraph from let's say Cedar and Sacramento, it would easily take 15 minutes with no traffic at all. But on Cedar, you'd need to contest with BART traffic, downtown Berkeley Traffic, Berkeley High traffic, Cal traffic, University Ave traffic, and Highway 13 traffic. It would likely take 30 minutes most times of the day.

I live about 4 miles from Berkeley. 90% of the time it is faster to go to San Leandro, 12 miles away than Berkeley from where I live in Oakland. And all of the traffic is in Emeryville and Berkeley. And I live by the freeway.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The freeway is only on the west side of town, so anyone who needs to get on the freeway needs to drive all the way through town. The main ateries are always clogged most times of the day. And the speed limit is 30 or less in the entire city. There are lots of round abouts, one way streets, etc.

If you needed to drive to let's say: Ashby and Telegraph from let's say Cedar and Sacramento, it would easily take 15 minutes with no traffic at all. But on Cedar, you'd need to contest with BART traffic, downtown Berkeley Traffic, Berkeley High traffic, Cal traffic, University Ave traffic, and Highway 13 traffic. It would likely take 30 minutes most times of the day.

I live about 4 miles from Berkeley. 90% of the time it is faster to go to San Leandro, 12 miles away than Berkeley from where I live in Oakland. And all of the traffic is in Emeryville and Berkeley. And I live by the freeway.
So, if I needed to drive from just north of the university (right around Hearst) south to Telegraph/Ashby, would that be a total nightmare, or pretty reasonable? Time-wise, I'm talking getting kids to and from school, etc.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 PM

Nah, that's probably 10-15 mins. But it'll be annoying as hell. Think lots of traffic lights

Old 04-03-2012, 09:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Nah, that's probably 10-15 mins. But it'll be annoying as hell. Think lots of traffic lights
I'd add a few more minutes, those streets can be congested! ~20 minutes.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:19 PM

Ok, 15-20 of the LONGEST minutes of your life

Old 04-03-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Ok, 15-20 of the LONGEST minutes of your life
Sheesh, really?

Ok, what about driving north from Hearst to the Grizzly Peak Park area? I assume that will involve fewer traffic lights, yes?

Old 04-03-2012, 10:19 PM

It's certainly more scenic, but it's really out of the way. There's also UC traffic to worry about over on the north side of campus. Plus if you get stuck behind a slowpoke or a trail of cyclists you'll probably be even more irritated.

I guess it's all relative though. My threshold for freeway traffic is probably higher than stop and go traffic in a town like Berkeley. For whatever reason, I find sitting on the Bay Bridge far less irritating than trying to make my way up University or College Ave. The only way you can be certain is to try it out during peak hours for yourself. If it's seems ok, maybe it won't be as big of deal for you.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:09 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Berkeley is small, like 2 miles from north to south. I've never found traffic to be that bad except around downtown which is easily avoided. Definitely way less cars than in SF. Berkeley does have a lot of side streets blocked off though so people can't go flying through them, which means more cars on the main roads instead of on the side streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland