Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:59 PM

74 posts, read 149,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegold77 View Post
Rbehs--I was wondering if I can follow up on what you said here. What did you mean by if you are comfortable living in Hyde Park, you can look farther from Rockridge, Piedmont, etc.

I was just curious when you said that because I live in Hyde Park right now and I might be moving to San Fran. I love Hyde Park and live in a very nice area (actually about 4 blocks from Pres Obama's house). Did you mean it has certain similiarties to Hyde Park?? Thanks.
I was comparing in terms of being comfortable with an urban environment. If you say you live in Oakland in the Bay area, certain people look at you the same way as when you say you live on the South Side in Chicago. But Hyde Park is much more dense than most of Oakland, and has a lot going on because of the U of C. I think Berkeley would be more similar in that way. But the problem is that an area comparable to Hyde Park or Kenwood in Chicago in terms of amenities is much, much more expensive here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbehs View Post
I was comparing in terms of being comfortable with an urban environment. If you say you live in Oakland in the Bay area, certain people look at you the same way as when you say you live on the South Side in Chicago. But Hyde Park is much more dense than most of Oakland, and has a lot going on because of the U of C. I think Berkeley would be more similar in that way. But the problem is that an area comparable to Hyde Park or Kenwood in Chicago in terms of amenities is much, much more expensive here.
Oh wow. That's great to know. I'm from Los Angeles but go up to the Bay sometimes to visit family and friends so I'm not as familar with all the different parts of Oakland. But thanks for the comparision because it's a great reference point for me.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Hyde Park feels really isolated to me, and really quiet--not many bars or restaurants, and I think only one grocery store was there when I lived in Chi but that was about 9 years ago. It doesn't even really have much of a college town feel. Rockridge/Temescal or Piedmont Ave or Lake Merritt are way more happening and more connected to the surrounding area, and are way more like Ravenswood or Andersonville or Lakeview in Chicago than Hyde Park.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:44 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,634 times
Does the Bay area have anything with a little more Logan Square type vibe? A little more gritty, yet hip, than the saline areas of Ravenswood or Lakeview?

Old 04-18-2012, 11:12 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
I don't think I ever spent any time in Logan Square, and when I lived in Chicago I don't think it was considered hip, just cheap and kind of seedy. If you want hip and seedy, definitely the Mission in SF, or even the Tenderloin, or downtown/uptown Oakland, or the Temescal.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,634 times
Does it look like this was a totally random attack?

Quote:
The gunman drove up in a car, got out and shot Smith in the head without warning Wednesday afternoon at the Lockwood Gardens complex, police said.
Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/04/19/2805776/man-pushing-child-in-stroller.html#storylink=cpy (broken link)
Man pushing child in stroller shot to death - California State Wire - fresnobee.com (http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/04/19/2805776/man-pushing-child-in-stroller.html - broken link)

Old 04-20-2012, 10:15 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Don't feed the troll.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:15 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peofessor View Post
Yesterday, a parent pushing a stoller was gunned down in Oakland. That never happens anywhere else. Police does not exist in Oakland.
I would not call a force of 800 +/- non-existent... professor

Old 04-20-2012, 12:29 PM

263 posts, read 529,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Does the Bay area have anything with a little more Logan Square type vibe? A little more gritty, yet hip, than the saline areas of Ravenswood or Lakeview?

Definitely the Mission. The Mission is a bit further along in the gentrification process than Logan Square though, and you'll pay dearly to live in the Western half of the neighborhood. Anything west of Mission St and you're looking at $2000+ for a halfway decent 1BR.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 629 times
I just moved here from Logan Square in March. I lived in Logan Square for 4 years, in which time the area went from nice to approaching Wicker Park levels very quickly.

Now I live in the Middle Richmond and the comparisons to Logan Square aren't exactly 1:1. There's more street crime for sure in Logan Square. There's a wider dining options in the Richmond. They're both very walkable neighborhoods, but Logan Square is a cinch to get downtown or to other places in the city thanks to a (much) better transit system. I can stay in Richmond area all day and not HAVE to leave (everything I need is within walking distance) but getting to work downtown blows.

The main difference (safety wise) I can tell between SF proper and Chicago is that Chicago has entire swaths of 'hoods in the west and south sides that you wouldn't really ever want to go to. Here, being a much smaller city dimension wise - not to mention being a lot denser - the areas can seedy or fine from block to block. As another user mentioned, it's not like there are blocks and blocks of burned out houses here, the way there are in Chicago, either. I haven't spent hardly any time in Oakland, but the places that looked shadier down appeared to compare to the area where Cabrini Green is now - just kind of run down, but not totally burnt out. Essentially, you wouldn't want to live there anyway, because it's just...crappy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland