Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:50 AM

109 posts, read 300,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Let's not forget that there are numerous pending lawsuits against the Oakland Police for what happened last year during the riots when they shot rubber bullets, and tear gas into a fairly peaceful protest on Jean Quan's orders. An pregnant women literally got thrown onto the ground by these thugs.

Oakland has paid out over $60,000,000 in settlement related expenses the past 10 years because of OPD. How many cops could they have hired with that money?
Are your posts on repeat? I swear I have seen this mentioned by you over, and over, and over, and over, etc... Seems like an interesting way to spend your retirement. and by interesting, I mean extremely boring.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:01 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times
I'm glad you spend your time reading and dissecting all of my post, and pondering my life in retirement, I'm flattered actually. Also I'm sure all this effort you're using to get my attention, and attacking me with personal insults, instead of discussing the topic at hand, will do a lot of good in fixing Oakland's problems.

Of course, the simple fact that you don't even attempt to deny, or address even, that the Oakland PD has acted like a bunch of thugs, and has cost the city TWICE their budget deficit in "lawsuit settlements" is very telling.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:07 AM

109 posts, read 300,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
I'm glad you spend your time reading and dissecting all of my post, and pondering my life in retirement, I'm flattered actually. Also I'm sure all this effort you're using to get my attention, and attacking me with personal insults, instead of discussing the topic at hand, will do a lot of good in fixing Oakland's problems.
My objective on this board isn't to fix Oakland's problems (or highlight them... you do a darn fine job doing that). I work towards that by serving as a mentor to youth in the community and raising money for local non-profits... my miniscule attempt at trying to fix Oaklands problems. You should try it sometime... every little bit helps. I am sure even Lafayette has its own challenges. unless, of course, armchair activism is working out ok for you.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:15 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlandbus View Post
I work towards that by serving as a mentor to youth in the community and raising money for local non-profits... my miniscule attempt at trying to fix Oaklands problems.
I think you should concentrate on that, as I think we'd both agree is a better use of your time than following some old guy around on a message board whose opinions you don't agree with.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:29 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Some of the property I managed in the 80's... around Highland Hospital was almost exclusively African American... about 50% of one building was leased through the Oakland Housing Authority...

Noticed a huge shift when Housing implemented the Voucher Program... within a couple of years all the African American families with Housing had moved... mostlt to Hayward or Vallejo.

Several other families decided to retire to the South... I still remember one gentleman... he worked for Highland and had planned his retirement to return to the area in Alabama where he was raised... showed me a picture of the small farm he had bought and I was amazed how little it cost...

In the 90's... almost every new family was of Asian ancestry and up to the time I left almost every new family was of Spanish heritage...

Real Estate is cyclical... last I spoke with the current manager... most of the new families were Caucasians that had given up on renting in San Francisco...

Oakland is a big city... everything mentioned is only anecdotal based on my experience in one small area...

A leasing agent I know in Hayward/San Leandro told me almost all his inquires are/were families from Oakland with Housing Vouchers...

Old 05-03-2012, 04:46 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
One thing about City-Data is that there is a lot of accepted racism. Anything that points this out is put on blast by non moderators and quickly jumped on by a moderator.
And yet it's still here, isn't it? As a former moderator, I can only when the moderation conspiracy theories start flying... LOL.

If there's one thing the mods here don't accept, it is racism - so if you see anything racist just hit the "report" button, as it's literally impossible for them/us to catch everything on here! Oh, but you're actually violating the TOS when you discuss moderation on the forum (as we're both doing now, hehe), so that's probably why other such comments were removed. Just FYI, now back to the original topic.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:18 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
So black people can't be "gentrifiers"? An increase in black population automatically creates "ghettoization"?
No, it just means that they give the neighborhood character and white people deplete it. Duh.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:36 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
No, it just means that they give the neighborhood character and white people deplete it. Duh.
We know white yuppies can be lame, but this^^ is just a wee bit simplistic, no?

We could always discuss what this word "character" means. But the way threads are going, it [Shatner voice] could...get...ugly.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:50 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
This thread has just turned into one big mess of bickering back & forth. Closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland