Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 05:15 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,794,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
You won't get a very nice place in a nice neighborhood for only $2,000/month for a 2BR in the South Bay
Wrong. You definitely can. I live in an apartment and neighborhood most people (everyone except snobs) would consider to be nice and desirable. It's a nice looking apartment complex, peaceful, safe, and a pretty area with lots of trees. It's also conveniently located. Almost everyone living in this complex and in the surrounding complexes are professionals, mostly IT/engineers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:06 PM

677 posts, read 836,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Wrong. You definitely can. I live in an apartment and neighborhood most people (everyone except snobs) would consider to be nice and desirable. It's a nice looking apartment complex, peaceful, safe, and a pretty area with lots of trees. It's also conveniently located. Almost everyone living in this complex and in the surrounding complexes are professionals, mostly IT/engineers.
Well, how nice can it be then? LOL

BTW, when was the last time you renewed your lease? Because rents have gone up a lot in the last 4-6 months.

And if you're sharing an apartment with a stranger, you'd definitely want at least 2 bathrooms. So a nice, luxury 2BR/2BA apartment in a great location and that's not much more than 10 years old, like those at Cherry Orchard in Sunnyvale, currently go for about $3,000/month. Thus, $2,000/month is not going to get you anything nearly as nice nor as desirable.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Well, how nice can it be then? LOL
You got me there

Quote:

BTW, when was the last time you renewed your lease? Because rents have gone up a lot in the last 4-6 months.
We renewed it in Feb. We're paying $1850 now. They're probably renting the same units to new people for $1950 or $2000.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
We renewed it in Feb. We're paying $1850 now. They're probably renting the same units to new people for $1950 or $2000.
Hmmmm....must be pretty small, with only 1 bathroom, no big swimming pools, fully equipped gyms, tennis courts, etc. and must be really old and not in a prime location? Maybe it's next to the train tracks, loud busy streets or highway, bad school district, sketchy neighborhood, low walkability score, etc.?

Old 05-05-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm....must be pretty small, with only 1 bathroom, no big swimming pools, fully equipped gyms, tennis courts, etc. and must be really old and not in a prime location? Maybe it's next to the train tracks, loud busy streets or highway, bad school district, sketchy neighborhood, low walkability score, etc.?
None of the above.
But if someone wants to pay $1000 more each month for a luxury apartment with a couple extra amenities that they may never use, that's cool.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
None of the above.
But if someone wants to pay $1000 more each month for a luxury apartment with a couple extra amenities that they may never use, that's cool.
So where exactly is this fantastic apartment in the great neighborhood that rents for such a low price?

Old 05-05-2012, 09:55 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,701,476 times
Yeah, either there's something seriously wrong with the apartment/complex/location, or you just got lucky and can't assume that other places will have similar rent levels.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Yeah, either there's something seriously wrong with the apartment/complex/location, or you just got lucky and can't assume that other places will have similar rent levels.
I've lived in a bunch of apartments in my lifetime and there's nothing wrong with it at all. When we moved in a year ago, we talked them down below market rate, and then when we renewed they didnt' increase it much, so I'm sure we're getting it for less than what other people pay, but I don't know how much less. I'm assuming only a couple hundred dollars, but I might be wrong.

If we're able to negotiate, I'm sure other people can too if they just try.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I've lived in a bunch of apartments in my lifetime and there's nothing wrong with it at all. When we moved in a year ago, we talked them down below market rate, and then when we renewed they didnt' increase it much, so I'm sure we're getting it for less than what other people pay, but I don't know how much less. I'm assuming only a couple hundred dollars, but I might be wrong.

If we're able to negotiate, I'm sure other people can too if they just try.
If it's a large, professionally managed apartment complex owned by a for-profit corporation, it would be VERY hard to negotiate much below market rates because they all share rental pricing information amongst each other several times a month, so they know exactly what the pricing should be for their "product". The leasing manager would be fired by the corporation if he/she were giving tenants "deals" well below market rates, especially in this current market of very high demand and low supply of rental housing. Any special "deals" would have to be approved by the corporation.

Is your apartment more than 10 years old?

Old 05-10-2012, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,456 times
Thanks everyone, I'm looking to share in Palo Alto/Mountain View/Menlo Park and so far 1.000 is just above minimum if you want to get a descent room in a shared house. South from there is the ghetto in East Palo Alto.
Someone commented that I didn't clarify what exactly I'm looking for. Well: safety is priority number one, quiet neighborhood would be another, easy commute would be the third.
So you think it's asking too much?

Thanks,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland