Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,114 times

Advertisements

Hello

I'm moving to San Francisco to join my fiancé in August.
He has been there one year and currently rents a studio but we are searching for a new place together.

My question is, if I am still jobless while we are apartment hunting, how do we approach this with landlords and on rental applications?

While I am job hunting he will support us both financially. His job and income shouldn't pose any problems on his own merits ($170K/yr).

He solely will be paying all rent and fees (until I have a job) but will it still put us at a disadvantage that I do not have an income?

We know how insanely difficult it is to find a good place so I'm wondering if others have been in the same or similar situation, if they were penalized for one person not having a job? Any tips or advice?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 02:37 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,011,218 times
There shouldn't be a problem. They usually just check combined income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktappy View Post
Hello

I'm moving to San Francisco to join my fiancé in August.
He has been there one year and currently rents a studio but we are searching for a new place together.

My question is, if I am still jobless while we are apartment hunting, how do we approach this with landlords and on rental applications?

While I am job hunting he will support us both financially. His job and income shouldn't pose any problems on his own merits ($170K/yr).

He solely will be paying all rent and fees (until I have a job) but will it still put us at a disadvantage that I do not have an income?

We know how insanely difficult it is to find a good place so I'm wondering if others have been in the same or similar situation, if they were penalized for one person not having a job? Any tips or advice?

Thanks

Old 06-06-2012, 04:22 PM

622 posts, read 1,146,665 times
If he's making $170k, I don't see why you'd that that would be a problem. Many people live together these days, especially in the Bay Area. It would be silly for a landlord to turn away an otherwise good new tenant because he or her partner isn't working. Beyond competing in the booming rental market here and finding a place, you've got nothing to worry about.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:19 PM

506 posts, read 1,155,089 times
Yep. No problem. You'll still go on the application of course so you're a legit resident. And they'll do a background check on you. But combined income is what they want to see.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:48 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,083,238 times
With that high of an income they won't care unless you're trying to rent a place that is too expensive to rent on 170k, like some massive 5 bedroom apartment or something. Just get a place you can afford on his salary alone and you'll be fine.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:22 PM

802 posts, read 2,265,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
With that high of an income they won't care unless you're trying to rent a place that is too expensive to rent on 170k, like some massive 5 bedroom apartment or something. Just get a place you can afford on his salary alone and you'll be fine.
With rents the way they are right now, a $170k income would support a nice 2BR in a good neighborhood, not a massive 5BR place.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:55 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,083,238 times
Which is why I said a landlord would have a problem with someone trying to rent a giant 5br apartment on that salary.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:50 PM

802 posts, read 2,265,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Which is why I said a landlord would have a problem with someone trying to rent a giant 5br apartment on that salary.
Ah sorry, read that too quickly

Old 06-07-2012, 11:30 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
we rented our place based solely on my husband's salary. It was not a problem at all, although I was required to fill out an application (required of all tenants over the age of 18).

Old 06-07-2012, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,114 times
Great. Thanks for all the replies. I guess my concern was that if he took off for example, they would be stuck with a tenant that couldn't pay and they would see that as too high of a risk (though god forbid that should happen!).

One less thing to worry about. We're really not looking for a huge 5 bedroom. Just a decent one or two bedroom (hopefully near or in the SOMA...).
Now it's just the challenge of actually finding a place!

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland