Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 4,744 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=4] I went to pay my rent last month, and the landlord refused to take my money. Last week,
I was served a 60 day eviction notice. Today on my door was a 3 day notice to pay rent or quit. I am confused. If I pay the rent, [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]does that waive the 60 day notice? And if your wondering weather I was served the notice "because" of non payment in the past, the [/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]answer is no. I have always paid my rent. My case is so complicated and involved I can't get any help from anyone. Please.. Please..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]isn't there anyone who cares about right and wrong anymore? Someone who will stand up for whats right? Without there having to[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]be a million dollars involved? I have been used and abused by these people.. I am being ilegially evicited... and no one cares. I was [/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]trying to fight this by myself.. but these people are"millionaires".. and the advice I got mentioned nothing about a 3 day notice...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]which has now thrown me for a loop.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Please help me... I am running out of options.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]sincerly steve griffin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
A 30/60 day notice is usually given when they want you out but don't have a specific reason to evict you (breaking a lease term). I wouldn't assume it waives the 60 day notice. It merely means you have 3 days to pay or quit. If you don't, they'll proceed with the eviction trashing your credit and all that ugly stuff.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 PM

THANKS FOR ANSWERING.. THE REASON I ASK ABOUT THE WAIVING THE 60 DAY EVICITION, IS BECAUSE OF WHAT THIS SAID:(If you pay before the end of the three days, the notice is cancelled, and you don’t have to After three days, the landlord may refuse your money and proceed with the EViction. If he accepts the rent after the three-day Period, however, he waives his right to evict for the late payment ..............PULLED THAT OFF HOUSING RIGHTS 3 DAY NOTICE. BUT NOT SURE IF IT APPLIES TO ME..THIS IS CONFUSING AS HELL. AND I NEVER BROKE ANY LEASE TERM, OR MISSED THE RENT. MY EVICITION IS SO COMPLEX NO ONE WANTS TO HELP ME. .......I DON'T WANT TO LIVE WHERE I'M NOT WANTED.. BUT THERES MORE TO THE STORY. WE HAD A VERBAL AGREEMENT, THEY BROKE THAT. AND I NOW WANT TO BE COMPENSATED FOR UPGRADES I MADE PLUS WORK DONE WITHOUT PAY, PLUS I PAY FOR THE NEIGHBORS WATER (ON MY WELL) & POWER. THEIR RENTAL PROPERTY ALSO.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:44 PM

79 posts, read 111,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttec4u View Post
THANKS FOR ANSWERING.. THE REASON I ASK ABOUT THE WAIVING THE 60 DAY EVICITION, IS BECAUSE OF WHAT THIS SAID:(If you pay before the end of the three days, the notice is cancelled, and you don’t have to After three days, the landlord may refuse your money and proceed with the EViction. If he accepts the rent after the three-day Period, however, he waives his right to evict for the late payment ..............PULLED THAT OFF HOUSING RIGHTS 3 DAY NOTICE. BUT NOT SURE IF IT APPLIES TO ME..THIS IS CONFUSING AS HELL. AND I NEVER BROKE ANY LEASE TERM, OR MISSED THE RENT. MY EVICITION IS SO COMPLEX NO ONE WANTS TO HELP ME. .......I DON'T WANT TO LIVE WHERE I'M NOT WANTED.. BUT THERES MORE TO THE STORY. WE HAD A VERBAL AGREEMENT, THEY BROKE THAT. AND I NOW WANT TO BE COMPENSATED FOR UPGRADES I MADE PLUS WORK DONE WITHOUT PAY, PLUS I PAY FOR THE NEIGHBORS WATER (ON MY WELL) & POWER. THEIR RENTAL PROPERTY ALSO.
First, verbal agreements dont mean anything. Second, why would you put your own money into somebody elses property without a written agreement? Why are you being evicted is my question and why is it "complex". Reasons for being evicted are usually pretty cut and dry. You didnt pay rent on time or you simply pissed off the landlord. Landlords generally care about one thing, getting their money and not dealing with nonsense. At least thats all I care about.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:57 AM

I'll try to sum this up .. I just appreciate you listening. This house & 24 acres was my familys property.. in my older brothers name. It has 2 houses on it, which he was going to tear down. But since I lost my home a few yrs back, I claimed one and moved in. A lady I thought was a friend kept comming around and showed interest in the property. Bottom line, I talked my brother into selling her the land etc. Between her and I (& her husband) I started helping her out on her other rental properties, refrigeration repairs, electrical, general labor. And was told I could stay in my house as long as I wanted and my rent would never be increased. There was never anything written.. but the more I did.. the more they expected. Any upgrades or repairs I did to "my" house was to be paid for by me. Which I accepted as fair. She invested monies in the house next door to me, and rented it out. Now I was laid off last year, and have been trying to get a repair business off the ground. But my landlords continual calling and requesting me to do this or that.. was making it impossible to focas on my job. I was already going to work for them every other day .. a few hours at a time. Sometimes it was everyday...(AND BY THE WAY I WAS NEVER PAID A PENNY FOR MY WORK) I finally told them I couldn't be avaliable as I had been I needed to concentrate on"my job". The next thing I knew I was being evicted? I talked with the husband (landlord) he finally admited "I had hurt Susies Feelings" (his wife) So in essance I'm, being evicted for that... ........... I have invested everything I have in this house... well over $10,000.. worked countless hours on there other rental properties... been there every other day to feed the barnyard animals, clean dog pens, unload trucks, repair refrigerators, freezers, A/C units, and on and on. It was like a snowball effect, the more I did etc. ... all on the contintion I could stay in my house as long as I wanted and the rent would be raised etc. I feel that they broke there promise to me.. had me upgrade this house for free, work for free,, use me up... *** up my life by not allowing me to concentrate on my job... I was trying to start.. calling me constantly.. and now I'M BEING EVICTED FOR "HURTING HER FEELINGS?'........... THESE PEOPLE ARE MILLIONAIRES... I'M UNEMPLOYED... LIVING HAND TO MOUTH... & BEING TOSSED OUT LIKE YESTERDAYS GARBAGE.. AND NOBODY CARES. AFTER EVERYTHING I'VE DONE TO PLEASE THEM... I WANT TO BE COMPENSATED FOR MY INVESTMENT.. MY TIME.. AND WORK DONE ON OTHER RENTAL PROPERTIES. OTHERWISE.. I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO MOVE. //////////// DO I HAVE ANY RECOURSE? THIS IS SO UNFAIR............ (AND THIS IS THE SUMED UP VERSION) PLEASE ANY ADVISE WOULD BE MORE THAN APPRECIATED... I KNOW HOW STUPID THIS ALL SOUNDS... BUT I'M STUPID, I TRUSTED AND BELIEVED THIS OLD COUPLE WERE WHO THEY PRESENTED THEMSELVES TO BE. NOW IT SEEMS THERE MOTIVE ALL ALONG WAS GREED, MONEY, AND AS MUCH FREE LABOR AS THEY COULD GET. AND THEY DON'T GIVE A DAM ABOUT THE POSITION THEY HAVE NOW PUT ME IN.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:00 PM

4 posts, read 3,182 times
Default I need help please!!!!

I signed a renewal lease in May where the management company raised the rent $20 and makes us responsible for the water. When I tried to put the water in my name I was told by the water company that the account was over due 3 months and that we also had to have a leak because the bill are duplicating by the month starting January. The monthly water bills are coming for about $500 a month, is just 2 of us at the apartment. I called a plumbing company and they confirmed that there was a mayor underground water leak at the property and the cost to fix it could be up to $3000. I contacted the management company and they told me that the owner will probably agree to pay the past due amount so we can put the water in our name but he will not fix the leak. I sent him a notice letting him know I will not change the water to my name until the leak is fix and that I was going to be withholding the rent money till this gets fix. His reply was that they will not do anything and that they will evict me if I don't pay. Today the water was disconnected and when I contacted the company his reply was that he could not do anything with out the owners consent and that because I didn't pay my rent this month he had no funds to pay the past due amount (my rent is only $720 and he has my deposit) It has only been one month and the past due bills are almost $2000.
I had told him I could use the rent money to make the water payments back in May and he refused. He is not going to do anything and I dont know who to call to help me. I cant live in a place without water. I tried calling a lawyer but they all charge just to see if they could help. I dont know what to do, is hard to find a rent here, specially that fast.
Any help please??????

Old 06-25-2015, 07:27 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times
OP, going by just what you wrote, it sounds like you had a oral agreement with this landlady and you had at the very least, been acquaintances with her before hand. Unfortunately, misunderstandings, miss communication and/or one or both parties trying to take advantage of each other likely could have been avoided if both had decided on a written agreement in the beginning. I think your best option now would be to try and meet with this landlady in person to see if there is some way things could be patched up between the two of you and if that starts to look possible, suggest the written agreement be drawn up to avoid future misunderstanding

Old 06-25-2015, 08:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olega View Post
I signed a renewal lease in May where the management company raised the rent $20 and makes us responsible for the water. When I tried to put the water in my name I was told by the water company that the account was over due 3 months and that we also had to have a leak because the bill are duplicating by the month starting January. The monthly water bills are coming for about $500 a month, is just 2 of us at the apartment. I called a plumbing company and they confirmed that there was a mayor underground water leak at the property and the cost to fix it could be up to $3000. I contacted the management company and they told me that the owner will probably agree to pay the past due amount so we can put the water in our name but he will not fix the leak. I sent him a notice letting him know I will not change the water to my name until the leak is fix and that I was going to be withholding the rent money till this gets fix. His reply was that they will not do anything and that they will evict me if I don't pay. Today the water was disconnected and when I contacted the company his reply was that he could not do anything with out the owners consent and that because I didn't pay my rent this month he had no funds to pay the past due amount (my rent is only $720 and he has my deposit) It has only been one month and the past due bills are almost $2000.
I had told him I could use the rent money to make the water payments back in May and he refused. He is not going to do anything and I dont know who to call to help me. I cant live in a place without water. I tried calling a lawyer but they all charge just to see if they could help. I dont know what to do, is hard to find a rent here, specially that fast.
Any help please??????

First of all, you should contact an attorney on this one. And anyone who knows me here, knows I almost never say that.

It's illegal for a landlord in CA to cut off utilities. It's called a constructive eviction and is illegal. Also, I believe there is a material breach in what you believed you were contracting for, as far as agreeing to rent a house that had properly functioning plumbing (also a requirement in CA), and to not be responsible for back water bills. In other words, I believe you can legally get out of this lease, because what he gave you and what you believed you were getting were too different for the contract to be valid. He was giving you something materially different than you thought you were getting.

Anyway, this is a mess, and I believe you need an attorney to help you.

If you don't know how to find an attorney, use the bar association's lawyer referral service:

Lawyer Referral Services (LRS)

You can also look for cheap or free tenant legal services. But, calling an attorney will probably be faster. Plus, the attorney should be able to get the landlord to pay his/her bill.

The lawyer referral service is only around $50 for the first consultation.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:52 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttec4u View Post
I'll try to sum this up .. I just appreciate you listening. This house & 24 acres was my familys property.. in my older brothers name. It has 2 houses on it, which he was going to tear down. But since I lost my home a few yrs back, I claimed one and moved in. A lady I thought was a friend kept comming around and showed interest in the property. Bottom line, I talked my brother into selling her the land etc. Between her and I (& her husband) I started helping her out on her other rental properties, refrigeration repairs, electrical, general labor. And was told I could stay in my house as long as I wanted and my rent would never be increased. There was never anything written.. but the more I did.. the more they expected. Any upgrades or repairs I did to "my" house was to be paid for by me. Which I accepted as fair. She invested monies in the house next door to me, and rented it out. Now I was laid off last year, and have been trying to get a repair business off the ground. But my landlords continual calling and requesting me to do this or that.. was making it impossible to focas on my job. I was already going to work for them every other day .. a few hours at a time. Sometimes it was everyday...(AND BY THE WAY I WAS NEVER PAID A PENNY FOR MY WORK) I finally told them I couldn't be avaliable as I had been I needed to concentrate on"my job". The next thing I knew I was being evicted? I talked with the husband (landlord) he finally admited "I had hurt Susies Feelings" (his wife) So in essance I'm, being evicted for that... ........... I have invested everything I have in this house... well over $10,000.. worked countless hours on there other rental properties... been there every other day to feed the barnyard animals, clean dog pens, unload trucks, repair refrigerators, freezers, A/C units, and on and on. It was like a snowball effect, the more I did etc. ... all on the contintion I could stay in my house as long as I wanted and the rent would be raised etc. I feel that they broke there promise to me.. had me upgrade this house for free, work for free,, use me up... *** up my life by not allowing me to concentrate on my job... I was trying to start.. calling me constantly.. and now I'M BEING EVICTED FOR "HURTING HER FEELINGS?'........... THESE PEOPLE ARE MILLIONAIRES... I'M UNEMPLOYED... LIVING HAND TO MOUTH... & BEING TOSSED OUT LIKE YESTERDAYS GARBAGE.. AND NOBODY CARES. AFTER EVERYTHING I'VE DONE TO PLEASE THEM... I WANT TO BE COMPENSATED FOR MY INVESTMENT.. MY TIME.. AND WORK DONE ON OTHER RENTAL PROPERTIES. OTHERWISE.. I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO MOVE. //////////// DO I HAVE ANY RECOURSE? THIS IS SO UNFAIR............ (AND THIS IS THE SUMED UP VERSION) PLEASE ANY ADVISE WOULD BE MORE THAN APPRECIATED... I KNOW HOW STUPID THIS ALL SOUNDS... BUT I'M STUPID, I TRUSTED AND BELIEVED THIS OLD COUPLE WERE WHO THEY PRESENTED THEMSELVES TO BE. NOW IT SEEMS THERE MOTIVE ALL ALONG WAS GREED, MONEY, AND AS MUCH FREE LABOR AS THEY COULD GET. AND THEY DON'T GIVE A DAM ABOUT THE POSITION THEY HAVE NOW PUT ME IN.
Have you been paying rent? Doing little chores here and there doesn't count. A landlord wants rent in terms of check or cash each month. If they said you can help with repairs and taking care of the animals to offset paying rent, they were doing you a favor. If you got upset with the wife, she probably felt like you are being very ungrateful and bottom line, most landlords do not want a tenant that complicates their life. They want rent paid on time without having to worry about loans or work for payment plans etc.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:13 PM

157 posts, read 218,737 times
The original posts were from 2012. I think the OP is long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland