Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:46 PM

554 posts, read 1,155,191 times

Advertisements

We have never lived anywhere where public transportation was a real option for a commute. How does someone typically get from the BART terminal (example South SF) to the job site if it's not that close? I'm imagining walk, bike, cab? What do people usually do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 03:14 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,335 times
Drive?

Old 05-21-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Drive?

I wasn't clear maybe?

Say we live in, oh, Walnut Creek. Job is in South SF. He drives to the BART in Walnut Creek, parks car (no?), take BART and arrives in South SF. Job site is not close. Now what?

Old 05-21-2012, 03:41 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,010,971 times
If he's working in SSF then pretty much he's screwed after leaving the station. BART only works if your work place is in the city (where you can transfer to MUNI, slow but workable) or your work place is within walking distance from the station. For SSF the only public transportation alternative is SamTrans which sucks big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
I wasn't clear maybe?

Say we live in, oh, Walnut Creek. Job is in South SF. He drives to the BART in Walnut Creek, parks car (no?), take BART and arrives in South SF. Job site is not close. Now what?

Old 05-21-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
If he's working in SSF then pretty much he's screwed after leaving the station. BART only works if your work place is in the city (where you can transfer to MUNI, slow but workable) or your work place is within walking distance from the station. For SSF the only public transportation alternative is SamTrans which sucks big time.
And that is what I was hoping you wouldn't say, LOL!

Good to know. Thanks.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:55 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
If he didn't have to commute during rush hour on BART (Weekdays approximately 7:05 to 8:50 am and 4:25 to 6:45 pm), he could bring a bike and (assuming the workplace is about 1-3 miles away) easily bike the remaining distance to work. Also, folding bikes are allowed on BART at all hours. Just a suggestion.

BART - Bike Rules

Also, some companies have shuttles to/from the BART station in South SF (e.g. Genentech), and some people do that for getting to work from BART.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:10 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,010,971 times
Forget it. If OP's driving to the Walnut Creek station already. How can he bring the bike? (If he can bike comfortably both ways, that's a different discussion but I doubt it). If OP's company provides shuttle I don't think the question will be asked in the first place. Most companies don't and even if they do, you have to be careful with timing to catch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
If he didn't have to commute during rush hour on BART (Weekdays approximately 7:05 to 8:50 am and 4:25 to 6:45 pm), he could bring a bike and (assuming the workplace is about 1-3 miles away) easily bike the remaining distance to work. Also, folding bikes are allowed on BART at all hours. Just a suggestion.

BART - Bike Rules

Also, some companies have shuttles to/from the BART station in South SF (e.g. Genentech), and some people do that for getting to work from BART.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Forget it. If OP's driving to the Walnut Creek station already. How can he bring the bike? (If he can bike comfortably both ways, that's a different discussion but I doubt it). If OP's company provides shuttle I don't think the question will be asked in the first place. Most companies don't and even if they do, you have to be careful with timing to catch it.

So far this is a totally hypothetical question. Thanks for the insight though! I just wanted to make sure we were not overlooking something as we consider options and possible job offer. Thanks!

Old 05-21-2012, 05:11 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Bike rack on car. I've done it before (and still do it from time to time). It's actually quite easy. Just offering a suggestion.

The oyster point shuttle is open to many different companies:
http://www.commute.org/shuttle-info/...oyster-pt-bart
http://www.commute.org/index.php?opt...d=76&Itemid=32

Perhaps the OP wasn't familiar with them (as it sounds like they're moving to the region, you would assume they wouldn't know everything about the area).

Old 05-21-2012, 05:15 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,769,405 times
You can also rent a bike locker at the destination station (SSF in this case) and keep a spare bike there. However, many BART stations have a waiting list for bike lockers, and the SSF station only has 30 lockers according to their web site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland