Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 06:49 PM

10 posts, read 17,413 times

Advertisements

So I will be moving to San Francisco by next month if all goes well, now I don't want to buy a brand new computer when I get there, as far as I know my only option is to ship it.

Now, it's a medium sized Case, and I will be shipping it from Ontario TO California so some shipping fees my sadly apply.

What's the best way to do this? UPS? FedEx?

I know a UPS store near my house, maybe they'll package and ship it for me? I have heard bad stories from both FedEx and UPS though when it comes to shipping computers.

I'm traveling by plane, has anyone ran into a similar issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:38 PM

14,713 posts, read 14,688,293 times
I shipped mine via UPS and had no problems. It wasn't cheap, but it was cheaper than buying a new one altogether.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I shipped mine via UPS and had no problems. It wasn't cheap, but it was cheaper than buying a new one altogether.
may I ask how much?

Old 05-23-2012, 10:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,089,857 times
Well if you're in Canada the fees are really going to be different than if you're shipping it from one US state to another. I shipped a computer from California to Florida a few years ago with UPS and it was fine. I had the original box for it but no packing, so I got a bunch of styrofoam pieces from other packages and a bunch of bubble wrap and stuffed it around the comptuer so it was really padded and wouldn't move a lot during shipping. It was like $80 I think, and it was a pretty small desktop.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:17 PM

14,713 posts, read 14,688,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstrukt View Post
may I ask how much?
It was well over $200, if I remember correctly, but I also shipped the monitor, which in retrospect wasn't worth it. It would be more from Canada...you can try approximating the dimensions & weight and get an estimate on the UPS website.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:40 PM

506 posts, read 1,155,782 times
I shipped my iMac via FedEx, in the original packaging. ~$40.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:33 AM

I guess the price tag isn't an issue, 200 dollars vs 900 dollars for a brand new PC.

I just hope it gets there in one piece :P

thanks for the info

Old 05-24-2012, 08:09 PM

434 posts, read 1,020,278 times
Many, many years ago, I secured a temp help holiday gig at UPS. Occasionally I dealt with the public, but mostly I loaded the trucks, and worked around others loading trucks. And since then I have never put any faith in a 'fragile' sticker on a box. At all. Assume the worst, when you ship. Pack it with the expectation that it will be hurled across the truck, no matter how many 'fragile' or 'handle with care' stickers it has, and you may actually get it in one piece.

The loaders deal with thousands and thousands and thousands of packages. Folks work fast and hard at UPS. They're expected to. They're under a lot of pressure to get those trucks loaded and out the door. And they're under no pressure to pay attention to 'fragile' stickers, or at least weren't when I was there.

Those are my two cents. Make the packaging as close to bulletproof as you can. If you don't think you'll damage the computer inside by throwing the box five feet, it may emerge intact.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:51 PM

Thanks for the tip, I think I'll take out some key parts from the inside (Video Card, Ram, ect) and just take it with me on the plane.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:43 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,701,768 times
I agree with the Vagabond, your computer is going to take a beating. You might consider putting it in a suitcase and taking it on the flight with you. Pick up a new monitor at Frys when you get here, and you're golden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland