Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 AM

15 posts, read 24,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jink View Post
The weather in the BA is depressing. The fog, cold, and rain are all downers. Puerto Rico, though.. Yikes! Last I heard they didn't even have A/C there?
San Francisco and Oakland Average around 260 Sunny Days per year. . The inner East Bay Probably see's more. It doesn't rain in the summertime here in CA like Texas and the rest of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 11:07 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
Quote:
The weather in the BA is depressing. The fog, cold, and rain are all downers. Puerto Rico, though.. Yikes! Last I heard they didn't even have A/C there?
And, clearly you have no clue what you're talking about. The Bay Area is made up of nine different counties with many different micro-climates. Just yesterday morning, the weather report on the news was talking about dense fog advisories throughout the area. I looked out my window at home and it was completely sunny. It can easily be foggy in one area and sunny in another. I have SAD and would not be able to live here if the weather was gloomy and depressing all the time.

In the summer especially, weather can vary greatly by location. It can be 60 degrees and covered in fog in a place like Pacifica and can be completely sunny and 90 degrees in a place like Walnut Creek. Rain and overcast conditions are also virtually non-existent throughout the entire Bay Area in the summer, apart from places like SF and areas along the coast. Even when the marine layer covers the entire region in early summer, it usually burns off well before noon.

Anybody who's actually lived here for any reasonable amount of time knows that there's no such thing as "Bay Area" weather. There are too many different micro-climates to lump the whole region into one type of weather. People who assume that the whole Bay Area has "San Francisco weather" are clueless. Even SF has different micro-climates throughout its tiny 49 square miles where it can be sunny and mild in one part of town and foggy and windy in another part.

People with no real knowledge shouldn't post about what they don't know about.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 AM

327 posts, read 766,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
And, clearly you have no clue what you're talking about. The Bay Area is made up of nine different counties with many different micro-climates. Just yesterday morning, the weather report on the news was talking about dense fog advisories throughout the area. I looked out my window at home and it was completely sunny. It can easily be foggy in one area and sunny in another. I have SAD and would not be able to live here if the weather was gloomy and depressing all the time.

In the summer especially, weather can vary greatly by location. It can be 60 degrees and covered in fog in a place like Pacifica and can be completely sunny and 90 degrees in a place like Walnut Creek. Rain and overcast conditions are also virtually non-existent throughout the entire Bay Area in the summer, apart from places like SF and areas along the coast. Even when the marine layer covers the entire region in early summer, it usually burns off well before noon.

Anybody who's actually lived here for any reasonable amount of time knows that there's no such thing as "Bay Area" weather. There are too many different micro-climates to lump the whole region into one type of weather. People who assume that the whole Bay Area has "San Francisco weather" are clueless. Even SF has different micro-climates throughout its tiny 49 square miles where it can be sunny and mild in one part of town and foggy and windy in another part.

People with no real knowledge shouldn't post about what they don't know about.
I have been all over the bay several times in the past year and the climate was the same everywhere I went. Be it Palo Alto, Pacifica, SF, Berkeley, Oakland or Hayward, I could never tell the difference. The only major difference was the temperature change in SF compared to the other cities. That's my experience and when people ask me about my experience "in the Bay Area," that's what I'll tell them every time. Cry me a river.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:31 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
I have been all over the bay several times in the past year and the climate was the same everywhere I went. Be it Palo Alto, Pacifica, SF, Berkeley, Oakland or Hayward, I could never tell the difference. The only major difference was the temperature change in SF compared to the other cities. That's my experience and when people ask me about my experience "in the Bay Area," that's what I'll tell them every time. Cry me a river.
These cities are all near water, go over a hill into an inland valley. It's much warmer and sunnier, the average high where I live is above 80 from June to Sept with almost no fog.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
Quote:

And I've lived in the Bay Area over 30 years...but I'm sure you have sooooo much more knowledge and experience than I do about this topic.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
And I've lived in the Bay Area over 30 years...but I'm sure you have sooooo much more knowledge and experience than I do about this topic.
Please refer back to my post.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
These cities are all near water, go over a hill into an inland valley. It's much warmer and sunnier, the average high where I live is above 80 from June to Sept with almost no fog.
Where do you live? I'll be back in the Bay in about 3 weeks and would love to see something I haven't seen before.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:13 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Where do you live? I'll be back in the Bay in about 3 weeks and would love to see something I haven't seen before.
Walnut Creek, but it's cold now obviously and the rainy season. Winter is actually when this area gets more fog, in summer it's more rare. On the coast it's the opposite for the most part. The biggest difference in weather betweens areas in the region tends to be during summer. Didn't you watch the news forecasts and notice how they would temps for three areas (coast, bay, inland)? Coast would be 60's, bay 70's, and inland 80's+ typically in summer.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:01 PM

538 posts, read 1,191,670 times
Quote:
It may be your experience, but objectively speaking it is incorrect. If you want objective, look up the average and observed numbers for SF and San Jose, for example, here:

National Weather Service - NWS San Francisco/Monterey Bay Area
and here
National Weather Service - NWS San Francisco/Monterey Bay Area

Average difference in July temperatures between SF and San Jose (not the extremes of Bay Area) is about 11 degrees. Last July the difference went as high as 18 degrees.

Subjectively speaking, those of us who live here have observed it many times. One of the better examples of this I see at Emeryville IKEA in summer. You run into some people dressed head to toe in jeans, sweaters and jackets while others walk around in shorts and flip-flops. Easy to tell who came from where.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:25 AM

139 posts, read 328,248 times
Been back in the Bay Area for a few months now. I so do miss Puerto Rico. I am so over the winter here. It seems to drag on forever. I want my 80 degree sultry weather back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland