Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 04:56 PM

159 posts, read 491,065 times

Advertisements

Seeing as they are both in the East Bay and are next to each other, what are Concord and Walnut Creek like? How would you describe it, especially to somebody who is from the North Bay (me)? Santa Rosa specifically. I've never ventured too far off in the East Bay but I've been to Richmond and those type of cities, as well as Berkeley and Oakland.

Expensive to live? I'm assuming WC is, but is Concord an expensive city to live in? I'm a young adult, so maybe I could look into a place like Concord for job opportunities. Not to mention it has BART, unlike here, so I might not even need a car to live there.

Nice scenery, plenty of thing to do? I heard Walnut Creek has a nice night life and the downtown is always vibrant and fun. Are there lots of nice malls or restaurants or places to hang out at? Any good hiking spots in the area? Or are Walnut Creek and Concord typical "bland suburban" places?

Asian food and community? I'd like to know whether or not Concord and Walnut Creek have a lot of good Asian restaurants, especially authentic ones, and is the Asian (East Asian, such as Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese) community there a decent size? Just curious because I am half Chinese. I knew a few people who lived there and said there is not a very large Asian community so there are not many authentic Chinese restaurants and not a lot of Asian supermarkets. A lot of Mexican supermarkets there I've heard, so that's good to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 06:13 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
This is general stuff, applies to both WC/Pleasant Hill and Concord:

- newer, more suburban housing and infrastructure than the older areas that hug the Bay
- way more emphasis on driving
- way more big box stores
- very hot weather in summer (90 to 100+) and colder in winter compared with Bayside areas, and warmer than the area around Lafayette/Orinda
- both have BART stations, many burbs in the East Bay don't
- lots of nearby state parks and county parks, and there are several really nice biking/hiking trails that pass through the area

More specific stuff:
Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill:
- More upscale and more expensive than Concord.
- Better public schools
- Downtown WC is basically like a bit outdoor mall. The southern part is newer and has a lot of fancy shops you'd see in a nice mall, and a lot of big chain restaurants and flashy local places. If you go further north it's older and it's more old mom n' pop local places. So it's a mix of high-end stuff and more middle-brow stuff.

Concord:
- Basically has a reputation for being more rough around the edges and middle class than WC. I haven't spent much time there and haven't been to its downtown but it does have that feel, it's just more ragged looking.
- Housing is cheaper, and the school district isn't that great, but if schools aren't a priority you might find some real bargain houses in nice areas. I biked on the canal trail through Concord a few times and there's some real nice big mansion-y houses there.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:54 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
These areas are more "family" oriented. I hear that young people go out in Walnut Creek. I don't go. One thing is, the younger people you meet there tend to be the type who go to junior college and live with their parents vs young singles in their first jobs trying to get their independence.

It is also more white than other parts of the bay area. (Concord has a good number of Mexicans) The african-american population is small. And the asian is as well. It is a little more "good old boy" than anywhere else in the Bay Area. Up until pretty recently, it was a bad idea to be "driving while black." in Concord. Until the late 90s/early 2000s. I don't know what it is like to be Asian over there, but all of the black people I have met who grew up there described it as "interesting."

Downtown Concord is pretty cute, shops and restaurants anear the BART station.

Honestly, I wouldn't live there if I was young and single. I'd live somewhere more fun. It is pretty sleepy. It is the place to go if you want a chain restaurant. Other cuisines, not so many good choices.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:54 AM

159 posts, read 491,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
These areas are more "family" oriented. I hear that young people go out in Walnut Creek. I don't go. One thing is, the younger people you meet there tend to be the type who go to junior college and live with their parents vs young singles in their first jobs trying to get their independence.
Yeah, what I thought.. How are the junior colleges in this part of the Bay Area? I'm sure there's quite a few of them, and I assume they are pretty good considering they're in a more upscale area, unlike community colleges in Oakland. Sounds like a place I'd like to try to live though.

Quote:
It is also more white than other parts of the bay area. (Concord has a good number of Mexicans) The african-american population is small. And the asian is as well. It is a little more "good old boy" than anywhere else in the Bay Area. Up until pretty recently, it was a bad idea to be "driving while black." in Concord. Until the late 90s/early 2000s. I don't know what it is like to be Asian over there, but all of the black people I have met who grew up there described it as "interesting."
Pretty similar to my city (Santa Rosa). Lots of Hispanic, but not a whole lot of African American people, except for some black people who live in apartments or low income houses in some neighborhoods (like my 'hood). Kinda segregated...ish. Where I live there are not too many Asian people or Asian restaurants, definitely less than the East Bay. However, I think Concord's Asian community is mostly Filipino or so I've heard. I don't care too much about the demographics, but it'd be nice to have a sizeable Asian community around, and just some more cultural diversity too.

Quote:

Honestly, I wouldn't live there if I was young and single. I'd live somewhere more fun. It is pretty sleepy. It is the place to go if you want a chain restaurant. Other cuisines, not so many good choices.
Sounds great! I gotta check out Concord's downtown then.. No BART or any type of train system where I live (...yet. It's being built here) so having BART around is a huge advantage for me, and I just love riding it and it gives me a feel of urbanity whenever I visit the immediate Bay Area. I'm hoping there's an efficient bus system in Concord and Walnut Creek too, if I ever need that..

Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
This is general stuff, applies to both WC/Pleasant Hill and Concord:

- newer, more suburban housing and infrastructure than the older areas that hug the Bay
- way more emphasis on driving
- way more big box stores
- very hot weather in summer (90 to 100+) and colder in winter compared with Bayside areas, and warmer than the area around Lafayette/Orinda
- both have BART stations, many burbs in the East Bay don't
- lots of nearby state parks and county parks, and there are several really nice biking/hiking trails that pass through the area

More specific stuff:
Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill:
- More upscale and more expensive than Concord.
- Better public schools
- Downtown WC is basically like a bit outdoor mall. The southern part is newer and has a lot of fancy shops you'd see in a nice mall, and a lot of big chain restaurants and flashy local places. If you go further north it's older and it's more old mom n' pop local places. So it's a mix of high-end stuff and more middle-brow stuff.

Concord:
- Basically has a reputation for being more rough around the edges and middle class than WC. I haven't spent much time there and haven't been to its downtown but it does have that feel, it's just more ragged looking.
- Housing is cheaper, and the school district isn't that great, but if schools aren't a priority you might find some real bargain houses in nice areas. I biked on the canal trail through Concord a few times and there's some real nice big mansion-y houses there.

Sounds like what I expected. I don't mind "bland suburban" type places, but seeing as WC and Concord are only a few BART stations away from SF and Oakland (to visit Oakland Hills and Jack London Square/Chinatown.. of course) so I'm pretty content with that. Urban atmosphere isn't too far away. Glad to know there's lots of state parks and hiking/biking trails because that's something I'd like to have, because I already live in a place with a lot of that. I'm just wondering if these places have a good supply of jobs for young people who graduated from high school a few years ago, and if there are any decent junior colleges I can enroll in. If that works out, I think I might consider these places. Walnut Creek definitely sounds like a sleepy type of town but it's much closer to the urban life than where I am at, in Sonoma County.

There is also a slight chance my mom, who is talking to a guy online she is interested in who is about to relocate in Lafayette, might move there if they start dating. So I might be in that area to be close with my family, and from what I know, Lafayette is very close to Walnut Creek and is a lot like it too, it being an upscale small tight-knit community. If you could give me more information about that town, that would be great.

Thank you for the information!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:41 AM

675 posts, read 1,189,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
Yeah, what I thought.. How are the junior colleges in this part of the Bay Area? I'm sure there's quite a few of them, and I assume they are pretty good considering they're in a more upscale area, unlike community colleges in Oakland. Sounds like a place I'd like to try to live though.

Pretty similar to my city (Santa Rosa). Lots of Hispanic, but not a whole lot of African American people, except for some black people who live in apartments or low income houses in some neighborhoods (like my 'hood). Kinda segregated...ish. Where I live there are not too many Asian people or Asian restaurants, definitely less than the East Bay. However, I think Concord's Asian community is mostly Filipino or so I've heard. I don't care too much about the demographics, but it'd be nice to have a sizeable Asian community around, and just some more cultural diversity too.

Sounds great! I gotta check out Concord's downtown then.. No BART or any type of train system where I live (...yet. It's being built here) so having BART around is a huge advantage for me, and I just love riding it and it gives me a feel of urbanity whenever I visit the immediate Bay Area. I'm hoping there's an efficient bus system in Concord and Walnut Creek too, if I ever need that..

Thank you very much!

Sounds like what I expected. I don't mind "bland suburban" type places, but seeing as WC and Concord are only a few BART stations away from SF and Oakland (to visit Oakland Hills and Jack London Square/Chinatown.. of course) so I'm pretty content with that. Urban atmosphere isn't too far away. Glad to know there's lots of state parks and hiking/biking trails because that's something I'd like to have, because I already live in a place with a lot of that. I'm just wondering if these places have a good supply of jobs for young people who graduated from high school a few years ago, and if there are any decent junior colleges I can enroll in. If that works out, I think I might consider these places. Walnut Creek definitely sounds like a sleepy type of town but it's much closer to the urban life than where I am at, in Sonoma County.

There is also a slight chance my mom, who is talking to a guy online she is interested in who is about to relocate in Lafayette, might move there if they start dating. So I might be in that area to be close with my family, and from what I know, Lafayette is very close to Walnut Creek and is a lot like it too, it being an upscale small tight-knit community. If you could give me more information about that town, that would be great.

Thank you for the information!
Lafayette is a cool town also. I don't know as much about it as I do Walnut Creek though, since I lived in WC for 7 years. As far as WC, it had everything I needed as far as restaurant choices, shopping, convenience, etc. Though I moved there when I was a lot older than you currently are (I was 37), and really had no need for much of a nightlife (was practically engaged), so my overall needs were easier to fullfill. I can't say enough good things about Walnut Creek, I absolutely love it, and plan moving back in a few years. I think it's a beautiful area as well, almost everywhere you live, you have a decent view of Mt Diablo and other hills/mountains. Price-wise, housing is super expensive in WC, but you get what you pay for (I rented for 7 years).

As far as Concord, there are some really nice parts, that border w/Walnut Creek, and some sketchy parts that are crime ridden. The downtown area is quite cool, as mentioned before, and there is some convenient shopping areas such as the Mall, and Costco.

If you can handle it financially, I'd recommend the Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill area.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:39 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:

So as someone who has NEVER lived in the area and doesn't go out in the area how could you posisbly make this assertion?

A lot of young people that go out in WC have moved back to the area after leaving to go to a college, like the majority of my friends and a good amount of people from my high school in general.

Have you been to Sunvalley Mall recently? It's mostly latino, blacks, and asians.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So as someone who has NEVER lived in the area and doesn't go out in the area how could you posisbly make this assertion?

A lot of young people that go out in WC have moved back to the area after leaving to go to a college, like the majority of my friends and a good amount of people from my high school in general.

Have you been to Sunvalley Mall recently? It's mostly latino, blacks, and asians.
My sister went to high school there/has friends that live in the area.

I don't go to Sun Valley very often. I have probably been 10 times in 15 years. More often Broadway Plaza (once a month or so).

When I first moved back to the Bay, there were pretty much no black people over there. My dad used to work in downtown Concord from around 1999-2001 or so. It has definitely increased a lot over the past 5ish years. The same is true of Dublin, Pleasanton, San Ramon etc.

I tend to see "young people" aka people from around 16-24. Not so many of the older young people. It feels less diverse to me than in Oakland/Berkeley so I just stay on my side. Some of my sisters high school friends go out there, seems to be a different crowd. Not so many people like me.

Last edited by jade408; 07-30-2012 at 12:21 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 01:13 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
My sister went to high school there/has friends that live in the area.

I don't go to Sun Valley very often. I have probably been 10 times in 15 years. More often Broadway Plaza (once a month or so).

When I first moved back to the Bay, there were pretty much no black people over there. My dad used to work in downtown Concord from around 1999-2001 or so. It has definitely increased a lot over the past 5ish years. The same is true of Dublin, Pleasanton, San Ramon etc.

I tend to see "young people" aka people from around 16-24. Not so many of the older young people. It feels less diverse to me than in Oakland/Berkeley so I just stay on my side. Some of my sisters high school friends go out there, seems to be a different crowd. Not so many people like me.
Concord and Pleasant Hill are actually just as diverse as Berkeley--I know it's not urban, really walkable, or as trendy in feel like Berkeley or Oakland, but it's where people move when they can't afford more immediate Bay Area prices.

I know Walnut Creek has always had that reputation for being all white and wealthy as well, but honestly...real estate prices tend to attract all kinds of people now. Let's not stereotype places that may have been like this a long time ago--times have seriously changed! Gosh, there's a whole shopping center in Concord and parts of Pleasant Hill full of Asian/Indian/Mexican/even Polish markets and restaurants.

Saying that there aren't "so many people like me" and that you "just stay on your side" comes off as quite prejudiced and if some white person from Danville used the same wording about Oakland, you'd be pretty upset.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Concord and Pleasant Hill are actually just as diverse as Berkeley--I know it's not urban, really walkable, or as trendy in feel like Berkeley or Oakland, but it's where people move when they can't afford more immediate Bay Area prices.

I know Walnut Creek has always had that reputation for being all white and wealthy as well, but honestly...real estate prices tend to attract all kinds of people now. Let's not stereotype places that may have been like this a long time ago--times have seriously changed! Gosh, there's a whole shopping center in Concord and parts of Pleasant Hill full of Asian/Indian/Mexican/even Polish markets and restaurants.

Saying that there aren't "so many people like me" and that you "just stay on your side" comes off as quite prejudiced and if some white person from Danville used the same wording about Oakland, you'd be pretty upset.
I will clarify. For me "so many people like me" isn't really about the numbers of blacks or asians or whatever. It is all about the numbers of mixed groups I see socializing. That is the main reason I stay in Oakland or Berkeley. There seem to be more groups where asians/blacks/whites/latinos are sitting at the same table. That is way more prevalent in Berkeley/Oakland than anywhere else in the Bay Area.

I haven't had bad experiences there. Just not much mixing. But I realize, not everyone really cares about this and doesn't even notice.

But for me, Walnut Creek/P-Hill/Concord are for families. Not singles! People who live there tend to be in a different life phase. I.E. the one were real estate prices and school districts are important.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:12 PM

9 posts, read 26,773 times
Walnut Creek- - mostly white, alot of families, great downtown (which has a decent nightlife in the evenings/weekends), safe city, suburb. Some could consider W/C boring for singles, but I find the nightlife to be exciting.

Concord - more diverse, alot of families, a little more crime then W/C (and also cheaper).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland