Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 10:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,104,886 times

Advertisements

We're visiting family in Menlo Park for a week in November and they've asked us what we want to do. It's been more than 20 years since I've been in the SF are, so was wondering if you guys had any suggestions. Especially if you know of something going on in late November, around Thanksgiving.

Done the basic tourist stuff (Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiradelli, etc.) and hoping to get some other suggestions. We like kayaking, hiking (lightweight, though, since hubby hurt his leg), oddball things like the Winchester House, local festivals. Would prefer not to have to drive too much if we can help it, and kind of enjoy taking local mass transit when we visit cities. One exception as far as driving goes would be Napa--we've never been there so would be willing to go to some wineries if that's a reasonable drive.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 11:35 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,731,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
We're visiting family in Menlo Park for a week in November and they've asked us what we want to do. It's been more than 20 years since I've been in the SF are, so was wondering if you guys had any suggestions. Especially if you know of something going on in late November, around Thanksgiving.

Done the basic tourist stuff (Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiradelli, etc.) and hoping to get some other suggestions. We like kayaking, hiking (lightweight, though, since hubby hurt his leg), oddball things like the Winchester House, local festivals. Would prefer not to have to drive too much if we can help it, and kind of enjoy taking local mass transit when we visit cities. One exception as far as driving goes would be Napa--we've never been there so would be willing to go to some wineries if that's a reasonable drive.

Thoughts?
One of my favorite places is Big Basin Redwood State Park (was there 2 weeks ago) in Santa Cruz County. You can get there in about an hour from Menlo Park but it's winding mountain forested roads to get there. I wouldn't go if it happens to be raining. Our rainy season starts about late November. Much better than Muir Woods. Big Basin Redwoods State Park Pictures - California stock photos, fine art prints by QTL

Old 08-10-2012, 12:41 PM

23,575 posts, read 24,096,042 times
Napa and Sonoma County is about one hour driving from SF and well worth the trip.

I would recommend visiting Sausalito by taking the ferry from the San Francisco Ferry building (The Embarcadero).

Old 08-10-2012, 03:50 PM

The ferry sounds great! Glad to hear Napa is close enough to be doable.

What if me wanted to spend at least one day without driving at all. We can walk 4-5 miles with no problem and enjoy taking mass transit. Is there anything interesting to see/do in Menlo Park?

Old 08-10-2012, 03:55 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,320,977 times
Menlo Park travel guide - Wikitravel
Bay Area travel guide - Wikitravel

Old 08-10-2012, 04:30 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,731,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
What if me wanted to spend at least one day without driving at all. We can walk 4-5 miles with no problem and enjoy taking mass transit. Is there anything interesting to see/do in Menlo Park?
caltrain.com - a commuter train between SF and San Jose with stops everywhere in between. The train stops in Menlo Park. Most stations stop in the downtown of most towns on the peninsula, but these towns in between SF and San Jose are suburbia and there's not much to see. You might enjoy walking around downtown San Jose or Palo Alto. Not much to see in Menlo Park.

Caltrain stops in Millbrae and you can change to BART www.bart.gov and go into SF or travel to Oakland, Berkeley and other places in the East Bay.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,910,431 times
I love the Ferry Building, and going on a farmer's market day. Also you can go on a tour of the TCHO factory. It is on the way to the ferry from fisherman's wharf.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:08 PM

Hey, is that nude beach still there in Marin? That's one place I definitely remember from the last trip.

Back to Menlo Park... is Menlo Park a safe neighborhood to walk in? It looks like there is a nice garden (Sunset Magazine garden) within 2 miles of their house, and some parks that we could walk to, too (if it's a safe place to walk, of course). I like looking at neighborhoods and houses, so it might be fun to take a morning and just walk around.

What about kayaking? Any good places to go?

Last edited by Caladium; 08-10-2012 at 07:30 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 09:08 PM

23,575 posts, read 24,096,042 times
Menlo Park is a very nice and affluent neighborhood. Most of it, I should say. The side east of 101 freeway is rather sketchy, though.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 PM

224 posts, read 495,691 times
Half Moon Bay is often very pretty in late fall. I also like Moss Beach Distillery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland