Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 10:37 AM

100 posts, read 282,560 times

Advertisements

Hello Bay Area peeps-

The hubby and I will be in the Bay Area for our anniversary. It happens to fall in the last week of MLB season, and as Texas Rangers fans, we thought we would go to the Rangers vs. the A's game while we are there.
After reading many posts about Oakland over the last few weeks, I have some trepidation. My questions are:
1. Safety around the ball park there? Anything we need to know? (I am only semi-street- smart at best, but my hubby is from south Dallas, so a little more seasoned in certain areas of street knowledge)
2. Should we avoid wearing our Rangers stuff, and/or rooting for our home team? Would this be just asking for trouble?

I am normally not one to buy into the hype about an area or city, but I am hearing the same stories over and over.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 11:11 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
I wouldn't worry about the area around the Coliseum, it's dumpy but nothing that dangerous. It's not like there would be any reason to drive around the residential sections anyways. Plus lots of people are in the area when going and leaving the game.

No one will care if you wear Rangers stuff, it's not like it's a Raider game. Not sure why people worry about this, A's games have never been known for bothering fans of the opposing team.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:08 PM

23,552 posts, read 24,057,818 times
As an added tip, you could take BART (Oakland Coliseum Station) to and from the game. It's not the best area of Oakland, but during an event, it's not unsafe. Use your common sense and you will be fine.

As an example, I would not cruise around the area before or after the game. Go to the game and then head back out.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:46 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,335 times
Go to the game and enjoy it, but don't go wandering around because the surrounding area has nothing to offer.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:36 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,138,681 times
Fellow (former) Texan here. Just take BART. There is a dedicated stop for the ballpark, with it's own bridge that allows easy, secure access from the train station. You don't even have to set foot in Oakland. Don't worry about wearing your Rangers gear either. Games on that side of the Bay are pretty tame and sadly, poorly attended. Too bad, considering the high quality of baseball they've been fielding lately.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:28 AM

72 posts, read 112,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Go to the game and enjoy it, but don't go wandering around because the surrounding area has nothing to offer.
"Fantastic" Advice!

Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
There are only a handful of things near the O.co Coliseum:
Wingstop, Walmart, In and Out, drive thru Panda Express, a pizza place I am forgetting the name of, Carrows, and Wendy's.

That's all I can think of. So no need to stick around.

But if you happen to drive, then head over to Chop Bar near Jack london Square on your way back to your hotel. Great food, great drinks and friendly service.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrod King View Post
"Fantastic" Advice!
Meh, I am an Oakland booster, and I happen to agree. Certainly nothing destination.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:22 AM

72 posts, read 112,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Meh, I am an Oakland booster, and I happen to agree. Certainly nothing destination.

That has been said hundreds of times, and was even said right below answering the question. The troll just felt the need to point that out for the sake of what it does best.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:09 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There are only a handful of things near the O.co Coliseum:
Wingstop, Walmart, In and Out, drive thru Panda Express, a pizza place I am forgetting the name of, Carrows, and Wendy's.

That's all I can think of. So no need to stick around.
Best restaurant/sports bar around: Raiders/A's tailgate BBQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland