Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:39 AM

25 posts, read 32,758 times

Advertisements

OMG. oh the stereotypes. this stuff is barely better than the crap they feed you on DisneyChannel and the HallmarkChannel.
but at least a few of you are open-minded and nice. sheeeesh.

I was born and raised in the Bayview.
(im not black. im just saying this, cuz one or two of you seem to think that everyone here is. not true. super diverse neighborhood. most of the schools in the "ghettos" are extremely diverse.)
The whole southeast side of SF is getting gentrified so if you're scared, you can join the young, hip, $5-coffee-drinking crowd.
good for you, and bad for the rest of us.

it's seriously all about being street-smart and lucky.
you can be street-smart and STILL be jumped. cuz such is life.
there will be random horrible "accidents" or "incidents". no matter where you are. any crackhead/loser/pyscho/gangster/punk/hobo can hop the Muni and visit a privileged neighborhood.
there is no "I never thought that this would happen...." mentality living in SF. That mentality shouldnt exist at all. not here or in the suburbs. cuz that's just dumb. cuz if you think and ACT like that, it'll just happen sooner or later.

but if you're FREAKING DUMB, rude, and unaware, then maybe you ought to get mugged. just to learn a lesson or two.
........and i SINCERELY hope that you guys on this thread are not. theres nothing worse than being dumb and disrespectful. im not trying to be condescending. i want to help you out because bayview is my home. i have rich cousins from San Mateo County who are rude and dont listen to anyone.....................
if you are the things i mentioned earlier (1st sentence in the paragraph), your likelihood of getting mugged/jumped is OFF THE CHARTS.
SERIOUSLY, GOOD LUCK. I BET YOU WILL GET TRASH-TALKED/HURT/MUGGED/JUMPED ANYWHERE IN THE CITY WITH THAT ATTITUDE.

i can't teach you exactly how to be street-smart, but........
PLEASE don't talk on the phone when you're walking by yourself. you think it's safe but it isn't. If you want to call, call as soon as you begin at pointA, tell your friend how long your walk is going to take, & that you'll call them back in ____ minutes. this quick call should only take you 20 seconds or so.... when you're safely IN A HOUSE OR AT HOME pointB, call your friend back. thats the way to do it cuz otherwise you'll be distracted.
Walk at a steady pace and be aware. But dont walk like you're lost or a tourist. I seriously dont know which of these two is worse.
NEVER WALK IN THE DARK ALONE when you haven't been here before. you're not Dora the Explorer. she has a map and friends everywhere. you have a phone/gps you shouldnt be using while walking, and no friends that live here (from what i can tell, none of you know anyone.)
LOCK YOUR CAR DOORS. HEY YOU. you were driving, so why were they not locked? were you acting dumb? YES. that's a great example of what NOT to do anywhere. locked doors can help you in a car accident, you know. those were punks by the way. from your description, they weren't gangsters. if any of you had lived in oakland, you would know that PUNKS are much much scarier than GANGSTERS. cant explain why in a short sentence....so...i..wont...........
DONT BE RUDE. when strangers (local residents of the "ghettos") talk to you about little things like directions or the weather or how Muni is late once again, DO NOT IGNORE THEM. why? because it shows that your a$$ doesn't belong here and you think you're better than them. and maybe, you're a BIT scared of them cuz of their appearance. that's called being rude. you would talk to a fancy dressed person downtown but you won't talk to someone that's a bit scruffed up?! seriously. so be nice & complain about Muni. you get the point. most of the time, they're just shooting the time or being friendly. this part is instinctual. maybe they were trying to mug you. i dont know. are they friendly or are they invading your personal space and checking out your jewelry? there's a big difference. use your guts and brains.
DONT STARE. if youre not supposed to stare anywhere else, why are you doing it here, in a bad neighborhood?! why would it be OK here? for real now. i think hipsters are much more fascinating around Haight than any poor guy in the bayview or any poor neighborhood.

@LunaticVillage is right.

im good with bayview/HP, but VisValley....oh man. im not gonna explain.
my bff (bayview local too) walks around the tenderloin at 6am and 830pm to get to and from work/school. and that means shes walking around the bayview at 545am and 9pm to leave/return home. shes not scared a bit. but SouthOfMarket at night freaks her out. ughh. crowds are always worse.

that thing about the Asians?! and Blacks?! complete bull.
color =/= crime.
all it says is......... minority groups are historically and economically disavantaged. and everyone knows that poor, uneducated children are more likely to grow into criminals.
you think all the chinese people in SF join the chinatown gang? cuz everythings about race?
NO. only some. the ones who dont know english (chinese born) and some american born ones.
what about the non-chinese asians? what do they join?
you know what people in general do? and i mean people of ANY color.
they joined the gang right at home, you know in their hood, with their homies. cuz it's not a race thing.

but the neighborhood has increasing levels of every color/ethnicity/race except for black/african-american. blacks are the only ones moving out.
gentrification.

i hope this helps. i mean well.
there is good food everywhere in SF. thank the working and middle class for cheap and real cultural food.

Last edited by BelieveIt; 02-11-2013 at 08:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
San Jose is literally block by block. I live in what is considered a very safe area near Almaden and Branham. On the other side of the auto mall, the apartments on the 800 block of Hillsdale are seriously run-down - the worst I've seen in the whole of the city - and have crime issues. Just this week a parolee escaped from police there and is still at large. But right next to that area there are nice condos on Communications Hill. Like I said, block by block.

San Jose: Probation arrestee uses handcuff trick to escape officers - San Jose Mercury News

Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
San Jose is literally block by block. I live in what is considered a very safe area near Almaden and Branham. On the other side of the auto mall, the apartments on the 800 block of Hillsdale are seriously run-down - the worst I've seen in the whole of the city - and have crime issues. Just this week a parolee escaped from police there and is still at large. But right next to that area there are nice condos on Communications Hill. Like I said, block by block.

San Jose: Probation arrestee uses handcuff trick to escape officers - San Jose Mercury News
do you think block to block is better? or whole neighborhoods just going down?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 AM

i live in the whole neighborhoods type.
when you live block-to-block, how do you know which is safe? how much does it change by night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland