Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:59 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Why hasn't SFGate published a story like this since, according to many of the user comments there, SFGate loves to bash Oakland every chance it gets??

Old 08-20-2012, 09:59 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
I think the OP is referring to this article:

'Hostages' at home: Intimidation spreads in Oakland, other violence-plagued cities - Inside Bay Area

And yes, it is very eye opening; especially since not long ago many Oaklanders were on this board saying how West Oakland is much safer than we think it is and how once you're part of the neighborhood that you'll grow to love it there.

Personally, I only somewhat care why it degenerated to such bottomness; but how to bring it back to the surface. But that's obviously a much harder conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Every year in Oakland -- and to some extent in other high-crime parts of cities such as Richmond, East Palo Alto and San Jose
Lol.

This is a serious topic but one best covered by the people who actually live in high crime areas of Oakland... the POV on this article screams someone from the outside looking in. Moreover, this has been going on for decades. The only reason articles are being written about the situation in West Oakland now is because yuppies are moving into it and the media can apparently relate to them. Notice there's no articles being written about the happenings in Deep East Oakland or Seminary or Gaskill or etc. which are getting it quite a bit worse than West Oakland... No one cares when it's only poor blacks and latinos getting terrorized in their neighborhoods.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,972 times
West Oakland has been this way for a long time. I guess since the hipsters moved in this is somehow "eye opening". This goes on everyday in every ghetto of America. I guess the suburban house moms and trolls need their crime fixation.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Why hasn't SFGate published a story like this since, according to many of the user comments there, SFGate loves to bash Oakland every chance it gets??
SFGate tends to post a lot of articles about the crime in S.F as well.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:21 AM

83 posts, read 101,407 times
Default West Oakland

I lived in a apartment building (now gone) on Jefferson Street, one block south of City Hall from 1948 to 1953 and went to Oakland Tech High School instead of the closer McClymonds. McClymonds was predominately black. I had both a paper route and shopping news route in West Oakland and even during those years West Oakland had a reputation of higher crime. Despite that, Oakland in those years was a great place to live. When I came back to Oakland eight years (1961) later after military service and college I couldn't believe the transformation. West Oakland had moved way out into the Avenues in East Oakland and further. Oakland is sure not the place that I would choose to live today.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:37 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Lol.

This is a serious topic but one best covered by the people who actually live in high crime areas of Oakland... the POV on this article screams someone from the outside looking in. Moreover, this has been going on for decades. The only reason articles are being written about the situation in West Oakland now is because yuppies are moving into it and the media can apparently relate to them. Notice there's no articles being written about the happenings in Deep East Oakland or Seminary or Gaskill or etc. which are getting it quite a bit worse than West Oakland... No one cares when it's only poor blacks and latinos getting terrorized in their neighborhoods.

The article is not about West Oakland, it's about Oakland. The incident in WO is just an example of a greater problem that permeates the city. The writer is a violence report who works for the Oakland Tribune who had been covering the gangs and violence in Oakland. The same guy also covered the Bagdad civil war violence during the US occupation. This is not some yuppie yahoo from Manhattan, man.

For the record, he also wrote how the violence are affecting Blacks and Latinos, and also... East Oakland.

Oakland Effect: Walking away from a gang is not an option, says former gang member - Inside Bay Area

Oakland family traumatized by violence, death - Inside Bay Area

Element of racism among rival Latino gangs in Oakland | StreetGangs.Com

The Real Epidemic of Violence Is Ordinary, Every Day and Global - NYTimes.com

Oakland: 15-year-old slaying victim wanted to be a firefighter

Old 08-20-2012, 12:01 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Lol.

Not so sure if this person was a yuppie-maybe just someone captivated by the thought of living somewhere affordable and in a nice Victorian (sounds like she had house mates). The article states she had lived there for 7 years, sounds like a legitimate POV to me. And she sounds brave albeit naive.

The difference between her and some of "the poor blacks and latinos" you reference to is that she got involved by calling the police. She didn't have the street smarts to leave it alone-tough situation. I grew up in Berkeley and when me and my Black friends ran around in Oakland (yes I am white) they would point out things and instruct me on certain behaviors which were not obvious to me-this was in the '70's before big time gangs..I can only imagine what it is like now for an outsider.

First of all I am not an Oakland hater. I read these posts about Oakland because my Dad lives in the area around Stanford/San Pablo-not sure what area of Oakland this is called- (near the Emeryville line) This area is fairly poor, but has had some outsiders moving in due to the SiddahYoga Center.

It just tears your heart out to see the great potential of the poorer areas of Oakland-with the awesome weather (probably among the best in the US), beautiful Victorians etc. He has lived there for 25 years and is not a yuppie by any stretch (still rents). It is dicey for him to walk safely in his own neighborhood outside of a 5-6 block radius-one has to be careful and take care not to make eye contact with certain types of vehicles driving around and to be ready to back track and trust your gut feeling , it feels safer than 15 years ago (less gun shots/sirens at night-but walking around after dark-forget that!! Luckily he has some good neighbors who look out for one another. Ironically the one time he was a victim of violence it was in broad daylight.

There are neighbor hoods much worse than my Dad's-I can only imagine how tiring it would be always watching your back and trying not to dis the local gang bangers.

I really hope it gets better

Old 08-20-2012, 01:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
SFGate tends to post a lot of articles about the crime in S.F as well.
What planet do you live on? They only post selected articles......they post more on Oakland. While ignoring similar incidents in SF.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:46 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
While ignoring similar incidents in SF.
You're being disingenuous. SF Gate doesn't have any agenda to cover up crime in S.F, just like Danville police aren't "covering up" rich white kid crimes in Danville. The childish antics that the Oakland-Boosters club will go to just to justify the high crime in Oakland is reaching new and ridiculous heights.

Look it's SF Gate ignoring a crime problem in S.F:
Potrero Hills Under Siege

Old 08-20-2012, 01:52 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
The article is not about West Oakland, it's about Oakland. The incident in WO is just an example of a greater problem that permeates the city. The writer is a violence report who works for the Oakland Tribune who had been covering the gangs and violence in Oakland. The same guy also covered the Bagdad civil war violence during the US occupation. This is not some yuppie yahoo from Manhattan, man.

For the record, he also wrote how the violence are affecting Blacks and Latinos, and also... East Oakland.

Oakland Effect: Walking away from a gang is not an option, says former gang member - Inside Bay Area

Oakland family traumatized by violence, death - Inside Bay Area

Element of racism among rival Latino gangs in Oakland | StreetGangs.Com

The Real Epidemic of Violence Is Ordinary, Every Day and Global - NYTimes.com

Oakland: 15-year-old slaying victim wanted to be a firefighter

Did I say the author of the article was a yuppie? I said I find it interesting that the spotlight on crime in West Oakland appears now as opposed to 15 years ago when it was even worse.

And did you read any of the articles? Other than the one on latino gang violence (which is centered mainly in East Oakland) all of them were about West Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland