Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfan13 View Post
I'd suggest checking places along bart/cal train route (depending on which stops you are closest to). Millbrae, Belmont, Daly City, San Mateo, etc.
The north peninsula would be a good choice. Both BART and Caltrain stop in Millbrae if you want to use public transit.

BART - Station List
System Map

Light rail system in San Francisco ("L" line to SF Zoo; connect to BART at Balboa Park station or Caltrain station at 4th & King):
http://www.transit.511.org/static/pr...2200722226.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 02:34 PM

10 posts, read 20,047 times
West Portal is sunny today, and was sunny yesterday.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:51 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Piedmont Ave is also missing from your list.
You are absolutely correct!

Can't believe I forgot to list it- it's one of Oakland's best

Old 09-10-2012, 06:06 PM

8 posts, read 15,050 times
I didn't know if I wanted to say this in a public forum, but since everyone is being so helpful, why not? I would actually be working at the zoo. I can park at work, so parking during work hours won't be an issue. It would be nice to live in an area that would make the zoo accessible by both public transportation and by car.
I have found that I have a friend in Vacaville, although far, it may be an option for the time being if I can not find a place to live before I move. It is difficult to locate housing without seeing it in person and knowing the areas, all of you have been a tremendous help. I really appreciate all of your input.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:59 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomD View Post
I didn't know if I wanted to say this in a public forum, but since everyone is being so helpful, why not? I would actually be working at the zoo. I can park at work, so parking during work hours won't be an issue. It would be nice to live in an area that would make the zoo accessible by both public transportation and by car.
I have found that I have a friend in Vacaville, although far, it may be an option for the time being if I can not find a place to live before I move. It is difficult to locate housing without seeing it in person and knowing the areas, all of you have been a tremendous help. I really appreciate all of your input.
Best of luck DomD, from a fellow NY'er, who did the same thing you're about to do, move to one of the greatest cities in the states. I was lucky enough to live in the Bay Area for 7 years, and hope to move back some day in the future. By the way, your job sounds awesome !

Old 09-11-2012, 02:49 PM

191 posts, read 311,637 times
Best of luck to you -- have to chime in though and say that a daily commute from Vacaville to that part of San Francisco would be hellish.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:17 PM

8 posts, read 15,050 times
Yes, it seems like it would be an awful commute. I am hoping it will be for a short while until I can find something closer. Unless of course, I find something before I move.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:35 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
I would recommend Oakland but the commute would definitely be a drag. Somewhere like Millbrae, Pacifica, Daly City, etc would probably be best. Really depends on your budget though, those towns can be pricy.

If you do think Oakland is your scene (it really is a great city) and you want to drive to work, check out the casual carpool, you could pick up a couple of people and then use the carpool lane to get over the bridge more quickly. You could only do this at rush hour in the morning though.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:36 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,111,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
My vote goes to West Portal, which is just 2 underground Muni stops away from the "sunny side" of SF (the underground goes MUCH faster than surface buses or streetcars) but also reasonably close to the zoo. And there are plenty of restaurants, bars, etc. around.
You beat me to it. This is the best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland