Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 12:58 AM

12 posts, read 43,825 times

Advertisements

Of the three major liberal cities, (Oakland, Berkeley and SF) I'd say Berkeley gives of the most positive vibes and I don't feel racism or exclusion at all. Whatsoever. SF the most. Oakland is somewhere in the middle.

I find this interesting.

Any explanations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 01:51 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Perhaps the campus unrest in the 60s has something to do with it? Cal sit-ins and protests in the mid 60s joined forces with the Black Panthers. Each lent credibility and exposure to the other.

Cal also brought an element of civil disobedience to the Black Panthers' more militant stance, while the Black Panthers brought the fight for civil rights into Cal's protest platform, which was more idealistically based on free speech and anti-war/government protesting. Civil rights earned them a much bigger stage and was a more polarizing topic.

It was an uneasy alliance, but it defined Berkeley and the attitudes and values forged in the 60s still shape it today.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:37 AM

622 posts, read 1,146,184 times
I'll raise my hand to second both posts. I live in Berkeley and rarely feel any racism. When I do it's usually at the start of the term from twitchy new students from wherever-the-hell.

I do think it's the 60s protest history and progressive legacy of the city that makes it simply more tolerant. For now, it works for me and I love living here quite a bit because it's nice to feel comfortable.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:04 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Berkeley's not racist per se, especially against black people, but it is an extremely racially-obsessed place.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald342 View Post
Of the three major liberal cities, (Oakland, Berkeley and SF) I'd say Berkeley gives of the most positive vibes and I don't feel racism or exclusion at all. Whatsoever. SF the most. Oakland is somewhere in the middle.

I find this interesting.

Any explanations?
Well, approximately 70% of all adults in Berkeley have a bachelor degree or higher, and that is significantly higher than both SF and Oakland, which also have very high educational attainment levels compared to most other urban areas btw.

I would like to think that when people are educated through formal learning, or through life experiences, that they would be more inclined to know that we are basically the same underneath our different skin colors.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:55 AM

On the other hand, whereas you may perceive that Berkeley is less anti-Black, Oakland actually has affluent neighborhoods that are predominantly Black, which is no small fete on the West Coast.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:54 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times
Quote:

I find this interesting.

Any explanations?
You feel the "most" exclusion in S.F?

Old 09-13-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
You feel the "most" exclusion in S.F?
If that's how he feels, that's how he feels. As I person of color I dont recall ever feeling that way in the city at all, but we each see the world through a different set of eyes and from different circumstances.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:00 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom Point View Post
Try being white in Oakland you'll really feel excluded. When I was a PhD student at Berkeley we'd sometimes go to the fox theater for a show and we'd be the only white people there. You could feel the eyes burning a hole in your back.
Well I lived in Oakland (a long time ago), and never felt excluded as a white jewish guy. I'd say on the whole the Bay Area is one of the more "inclusive" places when it comes to different cultures and races. L.A and NY are like that as well.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:33 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

I find this interesting.

Any explanations?
Welcome to Berkeley! This is Berkeley. This is why author Alice Walker chooses to live there. Berkeley welcomes diversity. The City Council has been very Left-oriented for decades. It can be a very intellectually-stimulating place, and generally mellow. Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland