Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:19 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,331 times

Advertisements

Also, it never really gets 'cold' in the way that an East Coaster would use the term.
It does get drizzly drab, and certain neighborhoods are lucky to get a couple sunny days all summer, but it's more annoying than miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 06:49 PM

793 posts, read 1,343,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I don't believe I've ever heard a yuppie self-describe as such, but I digress...
I noticed that too.

Also, I've heard plenty of complaints about the east coast, but never "the wet pant leg thing"....I've found that boots work wonders when the weather's wet or snowy.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:40 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,112,213 times
Strictly in terms of sunshine, the area in North Beach (at least a few blocks away from Fisherman's Wharf) down south through the Financial district and SOMA is every bit as sunny as anywhere in the East Bay west of the tunnel through the Berkeley Hills. The typical fog pattern in SF blankets all of the western half of the city and the nothern areas get coverage further to the east than the southern parts of SF. You'll often see a stream of fog through the channel from underneath the GGB and it will go all the way across into Berkeley and sometimes Oakland. But those parts of SF I mentioned get spared. I lived in SF for a year and a half and studied the fog patterns closely. Very, very rarely was it ever overcast in North Beach/FiDi and sunny in Berkely or much of Oakland. Now, you'll have somewhat chilly, windy weather basically the year-round there. I went and lived in NYC for seven weeks this summer. I'm not sure which summer weather I'd prefer between the two. Probably North Beach in SF, but the chilly, windy weather in SF does get old after a while.

But, given you're coming from the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, staying in a busier, central part of SF like North Beach is probably a good choice. To get substantially warmer, sunnier weather, you'd have to go to pure suburbia. I don't think you want to jump into that.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:21 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
North beach might be a sunnier part of SF, but it's a noticeably cooler than Berkeley, and much chillier than pretty much anywhere in Oakland that isn't directly on the water. Berkeley and Emeryville are definitely colder than Oakland too.

The warmest/sunniest spots in SF are in the Mission, but I still think the weather in Oakland is better on a consistent basis. 8 months out of the year its between 65-75 and sunny.

I live in Oakland and work in SF and pretty much every day except for the dead of winter, I'm always happy to back where it's warmer and sunnier. To put things in perspective, I also have to work in Saratoga, Concord, San Bruno, and Emeryville. Saratoga and Concord are much too hot for me during the summer, San Bruno is always socked in with fog by 4PM, and Emeryville is noticeably chillier and much windier than Oakland. During the winter, SF is maybe a few degrees warmer than all of them, but you'll be wearing a winter jacket or coat regardless of where you are...

Old 09-19-2012, 11:48 AM

51 posts, read 101,113 times
I'd recommend Palo Alto, it has the best weather in the Bay Area, warm in summer, not too cold in winter. Also they don't get the fog Oakland gets not to mention there is no Crime in Palo Alto.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:14 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom Point View Post
I'd recommend Palo Alto, it has the best weather in the Bay Area, warm in summer, not too cold in winter. Also they don't get the fog Oakland gets not to mention there is no Crime in Palo Alto.
"Home burglaries in Palo Alto have jumped by 56 percent in 2012, according to a Palo Alto Police Department crime-analysis report."

Palo Alto Online : Residential burglaries hit five-year high

Old 09-19-2012, 12:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
The fog tends to burn off a little sooner in Oakland compared with Emeryville and Berkeley. It is really funny how those couple of miles make a huge difference in terms of weather.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:10 PM

291 posts, read 958,216 times
I agree, if you want a warm and sunny yuppie city go to Palo Alto. You can also look into some of the other cities near Palo Alto such as Mountain View, Los Altos and Menlo Park.

If you want a more urban city with slightly warmer (not by much) weather than SF, check out Berkeley and parts of Oakland.

When I moved here from NY I drew a line west of the Oakland Hills and did not look for anything west of that line. I did not want to deal with the fog or lukewarm year-round temperatures in the 60's. I wanted hot summers and some seasons. But I didn't want to live in SF or in any other urban city so that made things easier. I focused on the east bay and south bay only.

At some point I did consider renting near the coast by Santa Cruz, just to see how the weather would bother me. But I dismiss that idea pretty quickly when the house in NY sold. I didn't want to have to move twice in case the weather was too much to handle. The east bay is my home now and I love it here! I have always bring a jacket when traveling west now days

Old 09-19-2012, 01:44 PM

51 posts, read 101,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
"Home burglaries in Palo Alto have jumped by 56 percent in 2012, according to a Palo Alto Police Department crime-analysis report."

Palo Alto Online : Residential burglaries hit five-year high
Are you really trying to compare Palo Alto crime with Oakland? LOL

Old 09-19-2012, 01:55 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom Point View Post
Are you really trying to compare Palo Alto crime with Oakland? LOL
No, where did I ever compare crime in Palo Alto to Oakland? Are you really trying to say there is "no crime" in Palo Alto? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland