Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 11:49 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times

Advertisements

The Tenderloin has its name for a reason- it's the seedy underbelly of SF.

People who walk through it with their hipster blinders on are the ones most likely to get robbed, hassled or WORSE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 11:51 AM

622 posts, read 1,145,856 times
I grew up in a bad urban neighborhood though: south central L.A. which, unfortunately, is legend for its gang activity.

It's the same in almost all of them. You walk like you know where you're going. You stay alert. You don't disrespect anyone. Meaning if someone speaks to you, you speak and keep it moving. If you ignore them, just based on that things could escalate. There are issues about respect and many in situations like that feeling they don't get any from people. If you ignore someone when spoken to, it's on. If you speak to someone rudely, it's really on. I've seen that before as a random person just being in the wrong place and it happened to me once when I was a teenager. With me, it never escalated to a physical attack but the verbal one I got was bad enough that I never just stayed silent again.

When I lived in NYC it was the same thing. When I visited a more seedy area of D.C. it was the same thing. Hell, when I was in Bangkok one time (been there a couple of times, so this is just one experience). I was a little drunk and was lost trying to find my hotel it was the same thing.

I really think people who've not been in areas like this need to listen more than opine. I spent a few years going to school in the TL and, as I said, I didn't hear much about students being victimized. (There were a few stories but not many.) I can't speak for others though. I tell people to avoid the area unless they have a specific reason to go there or if I can sense that they're streetwise.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:55 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
I think it's interesting how few people on this thread have even attempted to answer my OP (thanks to the few who did)

What I'm seeing is a lot of denial... "it's not so bad/it's not bad at all/other areas are worse". Let's just assume for the sake of this conversation that it's "world-class bad" and then try to get back to the original question:

Why does it persist? Is it accepted culturally? Are the police unable to get a handle on it?

Based on the responses in this thread, it appears that both may be true.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:06 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,533,672 times
I don't think that the Tenderloin is that scary. If you want scary try the NE part of DC or Camden, NJ.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:13 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
I don't think that the Tenderloin is that scary. If you want scary try the NE part of DC or Camden, NJ.
Lots of people would disagree...at times it's just as "scary" as pretty much any ghetto in the US. I'll just quote Dave Chappelle on this one (he's a DC native, conveniently, since you mentioned NE DC):

"Went to that Tenderloin. Nothing tender about that motherf#@# at all! That sh#$ was rough! The opposite of tender"

Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 PM

Before this thread devolves into a "I've seen scarier hoods than you have" contest, I think the OP brings up a great point.

The TL needs to be cleaned up. This live/let live attitude is okay for parts of SF, but when you've got an open air drug market that's right next to tourist areas, something needs to be done.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:29 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Before this thread devolves into a "I've seen scarier hoods than you have" contest, I think the OP brings up a great point.

The TL needs to be cleaned up. This live/let live attitude is okay for parts of SF, but when you've got an open air drug market that's right next to tourist areas, something needs to be done.
Thank you. My point being... most large cities chose to close down their open-air drug markets over the last decade or two. San Francisco has not. My question is: why not?

Old 10-09-2012, 12:36 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,348 times
My guess would be that shutting those down involves a "getting tough on drugs" stance, and working with federal authorities. And that's at-odds with the city's stance on marijuana. Tough-on-some-drugs, while totally reasonable, is harder to sell/fund.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:38 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,746,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Thank you. My point being... most large cities chose to close down their open-air drug markets over the last decade or two. San Francisco has not. My question is: why not?

It's part of the City culture for better or worse.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:43 PM

The problem is the attitude about drug use in general in SF

There are plenty of people who use all sorts of drugs and hold down stable jobs and lead productive lives in SF. It would be hypocritical and inconvenient for them to rally against drug use and make it harder to get the drugs they enjoy by taking a hard line on the issue.

While execs and white collar workers enjoy their coke/acid/heroin/whatever binges in their apartments, not really bothering anyone, they see those on the street in the TL as misguided or unfortunate, and either either ignore them or give them a dollar or a bite to eat.

Personally, I think all drugs should be decriminalized and the money being spent on the war against drugs would be better served in rehab/education programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland