Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 PM

224 posts, read 454,365 times

Advertisements

Tenderloin is no place to live safely, but Nob Hill is supposed to be a nice area, so I'm assuming "lower nob hill" is decently safe? Relative to other neighborhoods in SF how safe is lower nob hill?

Also, in looking for apartments I'd like to know how far south you have to go in lower nob hill where it would start to get dangerous. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 08:48 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,264 times
It's not quite a north/south distinction, I don't think.

If "Lower Nob Hill" is between Sacramento and Geary (N->S) and Van Ness to Powell (W->E), the northwest corner is fine, and the extreme southeast corner is adjacent to Union Square, so that's pretty nice too. And this map shows the highest rents in the northeast corner. (And will you look at those prices in 2009...! ) So, the southwest quadrant is the most dodgy, I guess.

I would personally stay on Bush or farther north (I do, when I walk) but actually Sutter and Post are fine -- I just find gaggles of art students annoying. And anywhere near Polk may get rowdy on weekend nights (which can sometimes be unsafe). The whole area is kind of grimy, but there are a lot of great restaurants. It doesn't seem terribly dangerous to me. I used to walk through there a lot on my way to Union Square.

It is annoyingly hilly in some areas, and there are a lot of tourists. I'd say in safety it's probably comparable to Alamo Square, the nicer parts of the Mission, or the less nice areas of SoMa.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:34 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
It's not quite a north/south distinction, I don't think.

If "Lower Nob Hill" is between Sacramento and Geary (N->S) and Van Ness to Powell (W->E), the northwest corner is fine, and the extreme southeast corner is adjacent to Union Square, so that's pretty nice too. And this map shows the highest rents in the northeast corner. (And will you look at those prices in 2009...! ) So, the southwest quadrant is the most dodgy, I guess.

I would personally stay on Bush or farther north (I do, when I walk) but actually Sutter and Post are fine -- I just find gaggles of art students annoying. And anywhere near Polk may get rowdy on weekend nights (which can sometimes be unsafe). The whole area is kind of grimy, but there are a lot of great restaurants. It doesn't seem terribly dangerous to me. I used to walk through there a lot on my way to Union Square.

It is annoyingly hilly in some areas, and there are a lot of tourists. I'd say in safety it's probably comparable to Alamo Square, the nicer parts of the Mission, or the less nice areas of SoMa.
Definitely, the SW section. That's not really lower Nob Hill, that is the Tenderloin.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:35 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Simple, the further north or the closer to Union Square the safer. Though I'd consider most of LNH to be generally safe.

There are spillover from Tenderloin but I think you can't go wrong with places north of Sutter. South of Sutter I'd consider it block by block, some parts between Geary and Post St still feel somewhat like the Tenderloin. If I were to live there I'd want to be at least north of Post St, but that's just me. Parts of LNH has long sloped hills pointing up towards north, and as all Bay Area natives know, nothing discourages bums more than having to walk up hill. So the flatter part of LNH do get some scattered Tenderloinians and the hilly part less so. But once you're north of Sutter St. the area feels very much like the real Nob Hill, imo.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:55 PM

56 posts, read 117,601 times
It kinda depends how close to Polk you get. Polk seems to be a magnet for crazies and bums....so for instance, Polk and Sutter is going to seem much sketchier than say, Jones and Sutter.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:51 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard8 View Post
It kinda depends how close to Polk you get. Polk seems to be a magnet for crazies and bums....so for instance, Polk and Sutter is going to seem much sketchier than say, Jones and Sutter.
Yeah, but Polk north of Pine is quite nice. That's one of my favorite areas of the city.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:42 AM

11 posts, read 28,059 times
Quote:
Yeah, but Polk north of Pine is quite nice. That's one of my favorite areas of the city.
I agree, Polk can be a bit sketchy toward Civic Center, but as you go north, it's one of the local lifelines of that part of the city. I used to live in the area and was able to get anything I needed/wanted within a short walk along Polk.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:11 AM

56 posts, read 117,601 times
Quote:
Agreed, I like Polk a lot too. I'm just talking specifically the part of Polk starting around Bush or Sutter and heading South.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:11 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luau View Post
Tenderloin is no place to live safely, but Nob Hill is supposed to be a nice area, so I'm assuming "lower nob hill" is decently safe? Relative to other neighborhoods in SF how safe is lower nob hill?

Also, in looking for apartments I'd like to know how far south you have to go in lower nob hill where it would start to get dangerous. Thank you.

i don't understand this attitude toward the tenderloin and the idea if you are a certain number of blocks from the tenderloin you are safe. in LA ,Seattle or Chicago addicts will steal from their grandmother and take the money to feed their kids and use it for drugs. going through withdrawal is painful and sucks and it drives junkies/addicts to rob and steal to hit the pipe or put a needle in their arm. if a large number of them congregate in a specific area being 3 blocks away from the tenderloin vs 2 blocks really won't make a big difference

Old 11-07-2012, 03:35 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
i don't understand this attitude toward the tenderloin and the idea if you are a certain number of blocks from the tenderloin you are safe. in LA ,Seattle or Chicago addicts will steal from their grandmother and take the money to feed their kids and use it for drugs. going through withdrawal is painful and sucks and it drives junkies/addicts to rob and steal to hit the pipe or put a needle in their arm. if a large number of them congregate in a specific area being 3 blocks away from the tenderloin vs 2 blocks really won't make a big difference
An ever-present concern for those in the Tendernob.

Wiki:
The Tendernob (or TenderNob or Nobberloin) is an area in San Francisco, California between the affluent Nob Hill area to the north and the less affluent Tenderloin to the south. The name is a portmanteau of Tenderloin and Nob Hill, and is often used by realtors to describe locations in Nob Hill whose value may be negatively affected by proximity to the Tenderloin, or to describe locations in the Tenderloin, whose value may benefit from their proximity to Nob Hill.

All that, and now we know what a portmanteau is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland