Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:42 AM

15 posts, read 24,013 times

Advertisements

Those of you who think California is so destroyed because of Democrats, perhaps you'd enjoy moving down to a redder state like Mississippi where welfare and poverty is low and nobody leaches off the government. Oh wait..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Kind of amazes me how hard it is for some to admit CA democrats have done a bad job at running this state. It's not like admitting that means Republicans would be any better overall. The political system is too polarized in both directions.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:30 AM

15 posts, read 24,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Kind of amazes me how hard it is for some to admit CA democrats have done a bad job at running this state. It's not like admitting that means Republicans would be any better overall. The political system is too polarized in both directions.
The previous governor for 8 years was a Republican, why are you singling out one side here? Not to mention the next fiscal year CA deficit will be down to 1 Billion.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YongAe View Post
The previous governor for 8 years was a Republican, why are you singling out one side here? Not to mention the next fiscal year CA deficit will be down to 1 Billion.
Look at who has controlled the state legislature for decades, they have far more power than the Governor and stay in office far longer. I'm not just looking at the state level either but also the local level. Democrats have been the one's in power for a long time, why are you so resistant to criticize them? I don't like a lot of republicans today so I tend to vote democrat more often than not but what bugs me is people who think democrats can do no wrong.

Yes our deficit is PROJECTED to be down to a billion but if you have paid attention those projections are off more times than not. But either way it's an improvement overall so I will give credit to Brown and the legislature for that. Still doesn't fix the fundamental problems with this state though.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:42 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
It must be a coincidence that CA is regularly ranked the 49th or 50th worst place to do business in the USA.
California may be ranked as one of the worst states to do business in, yet many major companies still have their headquarters here and do most of their work here: Google, Apple, Oracle, HP, the list goes on. I guess it can't be THAT bad here.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:54 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
California may be ranked as one of the worst states to do business in, yet many major companies still have their headquarters here and do most of their work here: Google, Apple, Oracle, HP, the list goes on. I guess it can't be THAT bad here.
I wonder if all those companies pay (full) california taxes?

The only companies that seem to be able to consistently put up with California's business environment seem to be (highly profitable) tech companies. I suppose if it's ok for them it is for me, however that does raise questions about the diversity of job opportunities in the state. Jobs seem increasingly bifurcated between highly technical, highly skilled jobs and poorly paying service jobs.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:02 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
they do business in the worse state, somehow manage to pay their employees very well plus give lots of perks and many are some of the most profitable companies. Now the usual bunch will point out the ones not doing so well like HP. Every industry has some companies that can't make it. Also not doing well in the tech industry isn't quite the same as elsewhere. My point is similar to the one I made in another thread; the state will only ruin things if the individual or business lets it. Rather than telling poll takers how bad it is here, they simply took advantage of what was here and capitalized on it. Whiners, whether individuals or companies fail, go getters succeed.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:08 PM

702 posts, read 954,121 times
Educated people vote democrat, what else is new?

Old 11-29-2012, 04:19 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post

well id break it down like this:

Not all conservatives are stupid. We have some smart ones right here on C-D

But it seems that the overwhelming majority of stupid people happen to be conservative.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:02 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post

Yes, and so do lots of uneducated people.

Did you ever listen to the episode of Howard Stern where, before the election, he asked random people in Harlem about whether or not they thought Obama's pick of Paul Ryan as VP was a "good idea"? That was just one of many similar questions that were posed to would-be voters.

As a Democrat, it was extremely embarrassing and painful to listen to. It was also a reality check in that it reminded me that there are very uninformed and ignorant people in the Democratic Party also.

I'd say that the stupidity pendulum swings both ways!

To the original point of this post, though, I think Republicans lost the Bay Area because of their stances on social issues and the perception that the entire GOP is anti-choice, anti-gay, anti-environment, anti-immigration, etc.

One of the last moderate Republican officials from the Bay Area was Congressman Tom Campbell whose district was the Silicon Valley. He was quite popular.

When Ron Paul came to Berkley, he was a hit there and was warmly received!

That says a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland