Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:23 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,012,077 times

Advertisements

NOBE Neighborhood, East Bay - YouTube

Is this an actual 'hood now in the East Bay, or is this simply realtor marketing speak?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 01:16 PM

Hey ssmaster, can you keep it on topic? There have already been post deleted because of people going off-topic. If you want to discuss the riots in S.F, you can start a thread on that. Thank you.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:06 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,081,480 times
Only in the Bay Area could someone say a 3 bedroom house going for $600,000 was "affordable."

Old 11-02-2012, 09:11 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
It's not at all clear what neighborhood they're talking about. "Revitalized"? The only area in N Oakland, Berkeley and Emeryville that's been "revitalized" or that needed revitalizing is Emeryville and West Berkeley. The agent must be pushing gentrified properties. West Berkeley and Emeryville used to be "the other side of the tracks", but gradually has been developing. The section closer to the Oakland border is a high crime area.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's not at all clear what neighborhood they're talking about. "Revitalized"? The only area in N Oakland, Berkeley and Emeryville that's been "revitalized" or that needed revitalizing is Emeryville and West Berkeley. The agent must be pushing gentrified properties. West Berkeley and Emeryville used to be "the other side of the tracks", but gradually has been developing. The section closer to the Oakland border is a high crime area.
Exactly! Thank you. I'm trying to figure out if these people being interviewed are being paid to say these things or if it's all a marketing scam. The area of Oakland she's describing is horrible, and has problems with drugs and prostitution. Hardly what I'd call a hip, upcoming, neighborhood.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:39 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
It's mostly marketing hype - a neighborhood that has been up and coming since the 70's but that never really up and came - but there are beautiful, overpriced properties scattered among the weeds. ($600,000? Three bedroom? Affordable?) A very long-term investment that may or may not pay off.

But remember that all 'nice' neighborhoods started out identified by real estate developers' monikers from them. Pacific Heights, Berkeley Hills, you name it, real estate developers were touting them before anybody really wanted to live there.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
It's mostly marketing hype - a neighborhood that has been up and coming since the 70's but that never really up and came - but there are beautiful, overpriced properties scattered among the weeds. ($600,000? Three bedroom? Affordable?) A very long-term investment that may or may not pay off.

But remember that all 'nice' neighborhoods started out identified by real estate developers' monikers from them. Pacific Heights, Berkeley Hills, you name it, real estate developers were touting them before anybody really wanted to live there.
Long term investment = Decades.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:59 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Long term investment = Decades.
That's right. I was being partly facetious. The investment may not pay off ever, or it might in decades.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:14 AM

That's one of my other points about places like "North Oakland", or West/East Oakland. Even if they were gentrifying like this realtor is trying to imply, it could be 30-40 years before it becomes a higher class 'hood with good schools, and an acceptable crime rate. For most us, that puts gentrification of those hoods in the realm of irrelevancy, most of us will be dead or in our 70s-80s.

When you take into account that Oakland has been a high crime city since the 60s-70s, that's 50 years now. I wouldn't hold my breath about NOBE become the next Silverlake IMO.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:03 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,851,398 times
That's a large area, not really one thing. I've never heard or read NOBE, that's a realtor coinage as so many neighborhood names originally were.

Parts of the area are, in fact, improving, I see that as I go through them (I'm not a realtor or a property owner, I have no financial interest). Others are still in pretty bad shape. There are certainly still issues with Oakland schools, but most households don't have school age children in them, others would put their kids in private school no matter where they lived. I'd say that anybody living within that zone would have to be willing to deal with some social issues, but it's not the bombed out ghetto some folks are acting like it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland