Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:05 PM

25 posts, read 23,910 times

Advertisements

I really like the idea of retiring on the water and have been looking for houses in Discovery Bay with my realtor. Also, I have rented there several years ago and really loved living right on the water with a boat deck in my backyard. However, I'm wondering about what kind of upkeep these houses require being so close to moisture all the time. Anyone live in this area before and have any insight or advice? Any thoughts about the area. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Those river delta communities depend on a decaying river levee system to stay above water. The levees need to be fortified or rebuilt, but the State is always struggling for funds. Proceed at your own risk.
http://www.sacramentoriverdelta.net/2012/08/01/2901/

http://sacramento.about.com/od/local...leveeflood.htm

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-25-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 09:38 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainia View Post
I really like the idea of retiring on the water and have been looking for houses in Discovery Bay with my realtor. Also, I have rented there several years ago and really loved living right on the water with a boat deck in my backyard. However, I'm wondering about what kind of upkeep these houses require being so close to moisture all the time. Anyone live in this area before and have any insight or advice? Any thoughts about the area. TIA
I think this area is really intriguing, it makes the distance away from the city justifiable. Several years is quite a long time, did you notice anything wearing down? I can't imagine it would be anything too costly considering it's not on the ocean. I would check about flood insurance first.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 PM

702 posts, read 954,760 times
I have the same thought every time I drive through the low-lying delta communities - when "the big one" (earthquake) hits, the entire region will be inundated with water, Katrina-style.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:38 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
I have the same thought every time I drive through the low-lying delta communities - when "the big one" (earthquake) hits, the entire region will be inundated with water, Katrina-style.
Just make sure you have a life raft on hand

Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
I've spent time in discovery bay and never thought of it as being vulnerable...

Sure... if oceans rise I guess anything is possible.

Can't recall hearing about Discovery Bay Brentwood, Antioch or Pittsburg being dependant of levies..

Most of the neighbors of my friends use the homes for weekend or getaway... many are from Silicon Valley...

Old 02-26-2013, 11:03 AM

343 posts, read 445,118 times
Friend's lived there for 7 years. It's fun in summer but pretty dead and empty in winter. She's tired of being so far away from everything though, and looking to move closer to the rest of the bay area. There are deals to be had though if you don't mind being so far away and the drunk masses in summer/quiet emptiness in winter

Old 02-26-2013, 12:10 PM

25 posts, read 23,910 times
Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. I'd make sure to have a jet ski handy just in case the big one hits. lol My insurance agent said insurance rates are not higher there than where I currently live and FEMA hasn't required flood zone insurance there but that could always change and is something to think about. I was thinking more about just wear and tear on your house from living near water. I'm not sure if that is an issue since your house isn't actually touching water.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. My main concern is being farther away and whether living on water would lose it's charm after a while and it would be boring out there as Obamadon1's friend mentioned.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:59 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,718,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainia View Post
Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. I'd make sure to have a jet ski handy just in case the big one hits. lol My insurance agent said insurance rates are not higher there than where I currently live and FEMA hasn't required flood zone insurance there but that could always change and is something to think about. I was thinking more about just wear and tear on your house from living near water. I'm not sure if that is an issue since your house isn't actually touching water.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. My main concern is being farther away and whether living on water would lose it's charm after a while and it would be boring out there as Obamadon1's friend mentioned.
A cabin we rent in Cambria yearly isn't actually insulated properly and has moisture problems in the lower bedroom. Their carpet mildewed but they didn't re-insulate. They have replaced the windows but still have the problem.

Generally a fresh coat of paint should be ok as long as you are built to current standards, I think. But you probably would have some increase in routine maintenance costs. Perhaps with rust on exposed metal surfaces as well. Never have lived right on the coast, though.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:05 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
My high school boss retired to Discovery Bay... they are older and absolutely like the tranquility during the week... weekends, they are always being invited to parties.

Beautiful home on Newport with all aluminum dock and decking... corrosion and moisture have not been a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland