Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 12:02 PM

60 posts, read 435,768 times

Advertisements

I have been offered an interesting job in San Jose, and am debating where to live if I accept it. My parents are in Berkeley, and so I would love to be on the closer side to them. I have a three year old,and so desire good schools, and a friendly community.

If I could have it all, I would love a community with more character (quaint houses, interesting food, nice restaurants, community feel), like Alameda, Albany, or Benecia, but as I mentioned, I will be working in San Jose. Los Gatos and Saratoga sound great, but don't think we can afford it from what I have seen on Craigslist. The cost of living will be tight for us, so finding a place which is the best value is important! I am used to living in a family-friendly community where there is a focus on children, and really want to avoid places with that cold, too busy to talk feeling. After living in many big cities, I would love some place with a smaller town feel. We will probably rent for a year or two.

1. Pleasanton, Morgan Hill, Castro Valley, Fremont, Scotts Valley, Los Gatos Mountains - how bad is the commute to san jose? I would be going to Wool Creek Drive in San jose. How long would it likely take during commute hours? Do they have character, and are they family oriented?

2. Any other suggestions that fit the bill? Why would you recommend them?

3. I may temporarily commute from Berkeley to San Jose when we first move to the area (from across the country). Just how long do you think this commute will take during commute hours. Would this be insane to do for a few months?

Thank you so much for your advice and help. I apologize in advance for any overlap with previous questions on related topics.

Last edited by gmkarr; 10-28-2007 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 12:47 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
I know someone who does the Berkeley to San Jose commute. That's almost the full length of 880, the Nimitz Freeway, which is right up there with LA's 405 and the New Jersey Turnpike as the most congested in the country. Either that, or take the Bay Bridge, pay a toll, and still have a very long way to go on 101. As if that wasn't bad enough, the train (BART to Millbrae, Caltrain to San Jose, 73 bus to Senter & Wool Creek) would take almost 3 hours to get to that particular spot.

[Edit: I see now you could take BART to Fremont, then take the 180 and 73 buses.. that's -only- about two hours.]

The commute from Morgan Hill to that area wouldn't be too bad, and I should know as I've done it for years. You'd be getting off 101 just where the traffic starts to slow down (Tully). Plus it still has a lot of small-town charm and it's a nice area for a family.

It wouldn't be that bad getting there from Fremont or Milpitas, either.. that's the opposite direction from the really bad stuff.

Last edited by sonarrat; 10-28-2007 at 01:03 PM..

Old 10-28-2007, 01:02 PM

Thank you sonarrat! Do you happen to know an average time those commutes might take (from Morgan Hill, Fremont, Milpitas, Berkeley) during rush hour?

Old 10-28-2007, 01:09 PM

Morgan Hill, about 25 minutes (NB 101).
Fremont, about the same (SB 880/101 or 680/101)
Milpitas, about 20 minutes (SB 680/101)
Berkeley, hour and a half on a good day, more often over 2 hours (WB 13/24, SB 80-880, SB 101)

Old 10-29-2007, 01:10 PM

Does anyone else have an idea of the commute time from Pleasanton to San Jose during rush hour and during non-commute hours? Thank you!

Old 10-29-2007, 02:16 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Coincidence.

last thursday I had a meeting in Saratoga that ended at around 520pm and I had to get to Berkeley to meet someone so I hopped onto the freeway around 530pm and didnt get to Berkeley until damn near 8pm. It was horrid.

What about Castro Valley? That's somewhat of a central location although I dont think the commute to and from the south bay is ever going to be pleasant.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:18 PM

Pleasanton to San Jose would be an hour plus. Castro Valley too. They don't have a train that goes that way yet, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland