Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 05:51 PM

702 posts, read 954,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
One thing that drives me a bit crazy about some Bay Areans (and not much else does, really), is that anyone/and everyone that rides a bicycle looks like they're pros. You know, they all have the little speedo pants,the most expensive and fancy bike gear, and look like they're racing in a sponsored competition all the time. Whatever happened to just tucking your jeans in your pant leg and having fun?
Get out of your suburb there are plenty of normal people that ride bicycle in SF, SJ, Oakland, and Berkeley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 06:10 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,281,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I love wine but many people assume that good wine has to cost a lot of money or come from boutique producers. I've had wine that was excellent which only cost $3. Wine is made in abundance here so no need to pretend its all special and so on.
This is so true. It's funny, I've been wine tasting all over in places inside and outside of CA like Washington State, Oregon, Arizona, North Carolina, etc I always think it's hilarious that they they try to get away with $50+ for a bottle of their local vintage, which usually isn't anything special. Do they assume that if they list ad outrageous price, people will automatically think that it's great quality and worth the cost?

Sorry, but I can go to Trader Joe's and buy a mass-produced $5 of wine that tastes a million times better than what they're offering. So can everyone else across the country...

Old 04-08-2013, 06:17 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,465,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Get out of your suburb there are plenty of normal people that ride bicycle in SF, SJ, Oakland, and Berkeley
Yep. Few of the bicycle commuters I see match that stereotype. For one thing, no one in their right mind would ride a high-end road bike downtown, at least not without a secure place to park it.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:20 PM

Pretty sure the people riding expensive bicycles with the racing gear are actually racing enthusiasts and are training for a race...

Usually see them around Lafayette, Berkeley and the Oakland hills in packs.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Pretty sure the people riding expensive bicycles with the racing gear are actually racing enthusiasts and are training for a race...

Usually see them around Lafayette, Berkeley and the Oakland hills in packs.
Or they're just "training" for their next KOM on Strava. Like that guy who killed a pedestrian at Castro & Market.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:29 PM

Not sure about you, but I don't think I could cycle up and down Grizzly Peak or Canyon road without hurting myself, and I'm in semi-decent shape. Maybe some of them are just fronting, but most seem to be in pretty good shape. I don't typically see these people cruising around the flats of Oakland, Berkeley, etc...

Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 PM

Last year at this time I was training for a big fundraising bike ride from SF to LA. I hadn't ridden a bike in years, but like anything else, you start slowly and build up. Eventually I was able to tackle the biggest hills without keeling over.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:38 PM

Well, another thing to consider is the demographics. Most of these people are white, 30-50 years old, and obviously have money to spend on an expensive racing bike and designer riding gear. Not really shocking to find them using their bikes in the aforementioned areas.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:00 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,081,480 times
- Techie people who act like everyone in the Bay Area is in IT and makes over $100,000 a year, and are shocked when you tell them you make more like $35,000. Also they insist that it's so easy to get a 100k+ job in IT, even though they have PhD's from Berkeley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalinnorcal View Post
I personally love chain restaurants. Wish we had more of them.
You enjoy heartburn and gas? Ok.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
white, 30-50 years old,
That would be me But I bought my road bike on Craigslist and my gear on eBay. Very Bay Area of me, I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland