Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:12 PM

96 posts, read 180,371 times

Advertisements

Help. We relocated to the Bay Area from Chicago due to my husband's new job. Relocating, we got stuck staying at a hotel in Pacifica b/c of our cats (no vacancy in SF) and so the first apt we found was in Pacifica also. It being 5 mins from husband's work (Daly City), it seemed ok, esp as we knew nothing about the areas or neighborhoods of the Bay Area.

Well, about a month after we moved in, the neighbors from hell moved in right next to us. The police have been out here 3 times in the last 7 months b/c of their insane crack addict fighting. As the walls here are paper thin, we hear it if someone coughs in the flat next to us. He is constantly throwing her out in the middle of the night, both of them shouting and screaming the worst obscenities. And then her pounding on the door to be let in again. At 1am or 3am or 4am. Not even mentioning all the times during the day. They have no respect or consideration for any other ppl that happen to live near them. Two other ppl who have asked them to keep it down have been shouted down in a rage.

I have told the landlord about this twice, my husband once. And he has warned them - they were quiet for awhile (about 2-3 weeks) but have started up again. This w/e and now again last night at 3:30am. And it's continued all day.

We're paying $1495 a month for a crappy apt with paper thin walls (the ocean view was it's one redeeming feature) in the Manor District on Esplanade. Can anyone recommend another area for us, sth quiet and not too pricey without the crack addict fighting? The environment is seriously starting to affect me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 03:23 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Call the cops.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:28 PM

96 posts, read 180,371 times
Been there, done that. They've already been out 3 different times (only 1 time was us who called). Didn't change anything. The guy talked his way out of everything and when she's around, she usually backs him up, even if 20 mins prior she was getting thrown out.

Thanks, though, for the reply.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:35 PM

272 posts, read 784,634 times
Wow...I'm very sorry that you are in that situation....
When I lived on my own in California...[my home town....Palo Alto...] I had an apartment on the Island of Alameda....and was very lucky with neighbors....Some were a bit strange ..[which is absolutely NORMAL for California...] but nothing like what you are describing.
Start looking for something else immediately....do NOT get caught in a cross-fire...and those paper thin walls....well....they definitely will not stop lead either....
Look at San Mateo....[closer to the hills...or close to down town....] Try Burlingame....or even Redwood City...[again...close to the hills...NOT in the flats...] If you can afford it look at Palo Alto and Menlo Park...but stay away from low income / controlled rent developments...[anywhere for that matter...and do your homework...find out FIRST what the people are like...if at all possible...]
Take care and get out NOW.....

Old 10-31-2007, 06:52 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,590 times
The problem with renting! Sorry to hear it. In my renting days I never was faced with a negative situation like this. Moving out of the apartment will fix this specific problem, but you never know about the next one until you are there. Not sure a move to another city will make a difference one way or the other - it is not as if Pacifica is a bad area.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:58 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
why dont you videotape them. Maybe document what happens and have your neighbors sign some sort of grievance and present all your evidence to your landlord. Maybe consult an attorney.

Mon-Fri on KGO 810 from 12pm-1245pm, Attorney Len Tillam hosts a legal advice talk show where folks call in with legal questions of every kind. Maybe listen and call in The number is 808-0810(from any Bay Area area code)..Im sure he might save you the cost of having to pay a consultation fee.

just a thought.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:17 PM

605 posts, read 867,326 times
I'm so sorry this is happening to you - not fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Mate View Post
Start looking for something else immediately....do NOT get caught in a cross-fire.
...but stay away from low income / controlled rent developments...[anywhere for that matter...and do your homework...find out FIRST what the people are like...if at all possible...]
Take care and get out NOW.....
I really agree here, and if nothing changes - nothing changes, either you have to move, or put up with it, unfortunately, maybe hard to hear.
And, sure, if you think calling in to a talk show would help the situation, go for it, this is a really hard situation, I can only imagine.
Have you checked Mill Valley, or places like Larkspur, San Rafael, or San Anselmo? Or even, Sonoma County - not too pricey...

Old 11-01-2007, 06:45 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
I used to live on Esplanade... wonder if it's the same complex? I never had a problem with neighbors there, so it's possible you just got stuck with a crappy family next-door. I think the neighborhoods up in the hills are a bit quieter, and more family-oriented - but you won't get that amazing ocean view, which I sorely miss since leaving there. Maybe also try Sharpe Park (in Pacifica), the Sunset in SF, or the Westlake area of Daly City? Good luck, and sorry you're having a bad experience!

Old 11-01-2007, 12:19 PM

495 posts, read 1,831,298 times
Welcome to the Bay Area!

Most apartments buildings have paper thin walls in SF and other parts of the bay and it sucks. Oh man but I feel for you, what you're experiencing is everyone's worst nightmare and I'm sorry you're dealing with it.

I agree with the videotaping. But be careful, a few people were killed in SF due to entanglements with the neighbors. People can get crazy and it sounds like you're already dealing with unstable folks.

All you can really do is continue to call the police to document the disturbances and retain an attorney who specializes in landlord/tenant disputes if you can afford it. Make sure the landlord is aware and if it's truly an unbearable living situation, I believe the landlord has to both let you out of the lease and pay for you to relocate elsewhere. But this can be both costly and time consuming.

Get in touch with the SF tenants union. Maybe they can give you some advice. San Francisco Tenants Union: Tenants and Renters Rights You have tons of rights as a tenant in the Bay Area, SF in particular. It's best just to educate yourself as much as possible.

The most ideal solution perhaps is just to get the hell out of there when your lease expires or move now if you can afford to take a loss. Read the fine print of your lease agreement, there may be a loop hole.

Good luck!!

Old 11-01-2007, 01:49 PM

605 posts, read 867,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodlvr View Post
But be careful, a few people were killed in SF due to entanglements with the neighbors. People can get crazy and it sounds like you're already dealing with unstable folks.
All you can really do is continue to call the police to document the disturbances and retain an attorney who specializes in landlord/tenant disputes if you can afford it. Make sure the landlord is aware and if it's truly an unbearable living situation, I believe the landlord has to both let you out of the lease and pay for you to relocate elsewhere. But this can be both costly and time consuming.
Good luck!!
BINGO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland