Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,478 times

Advertisements

I am from a small town in Illinois the job market in my town is getting worse and worse every year. I had an Idea of going to school to be a chef for years and I now find myself with a good opportunity to do so. I applied to the California Culinary Academy and it sounds like a good idea although I was hoping somebody might be able to give me a little insight into what the school and SF is like. I have lived in this a small town about 11,900 all my life except a for a year I was in school in a bigger city of about 113,107. I liked being in a bigger city, but I have to look at it this way its not California I know things are more expensive and rent can be outrageous. The main thing that I am looking for is a little advice on whether I am making a bad decision or not. Relocating to the other side of the country just to go to a school that I know very little about seems like a risk to me, If anyone can give me some feedback on this bad or good I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 07:32 PM

605 posts, read 868,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwn21il View Post
The main thing that I am looking for is a little advice on whether I am making a bad decision or not. Relocating to the other side of the country just to go to a school that I know very little about seems like a risk to me, If anyone can give me some feedback on this bad or good I would appreciate it.
Wishing you ALL the best.
That answers are within you if you look hard enough...
Do TONS of research on the college (s) that interest you, in my opinion.
Come out for a visit for a week or two.
Also, try not to look on this as 'bad' or 'good'. It is what it is, and it takes work,and a lot of energy--it is a risk, just keep believing in yourself.

Last edited by WannaBNorCal; 11-01-2007 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: added to

Old 11-01-2007, 07:45 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwn21il View Post
I am from a small town in Illinois the job market in my town is getting worse and worse every year. I had an Idea of going to school to be a chef for years and I now find myself with a good opportunity to do so. I applied to the California Culinary Academy and it sounds like a good idea although I was hoping somebody might be able to give me a little insight into what the school and SF is like. I have lived in this a small town about 11,900 all my life except a for a year I was in school in a bigger city of about 113,107. I liked being in a bigger city, but I have to look at it this way its not California I know things are more expensive and rent can be outrageous. The main thing that I am looking for is a little advice on whether I am making a bad decision or not. Relocating to the other side of the country just to go to a school that I know very little about seems like a risk to me, If anyone can give me some feedback on this bad or good I would appreciate it.
California Culinary Academy used to be very good school, but now it's churning out people. Anyone that applies is accepted, anyone that stays in graduates and is in debt up to their eyeballs. You won't find a good job coming out of there, all their credibility is gone.

San Francisco - News - Students file class-action lawsuit against California Culinary Academy

San Francisco - News - Burnt Chefs

Old 11-02-2007, 07:14 AM

175 posts, read 731,990 times
Get on a plane and visit the area first. The reality may be better or worse that what you imagine from the comforts of your Midwestern home.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:04 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,248,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
California Culinary Academy used to be very good school, but now it's churning out people. Anyone that applies is accepted, anyone that stays in graduates and is in debt up to their eyeballs. You won't find a good job coming out of there, all their credibility is gone.

Interesting. I've only heard good things about CCA in the past, but it seems things have changed quite a bit.

Without reading all through these long articles it goes without saying that the restaurant business is one of the diciest businesses out there and that there are many more rags than riches to be had. A great culinary education is going to help out, but by no means insure success. If you are going to pay $50k for that education you want to be sure that you are getting your money’s worth. Sounds like CCA is no longer giving you your money’s worth.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,412 times
Default Dont go to CCA

i'm a graduate from CCA. i graduated from there back in February of this year. and everything those news articles are saying about the school are true. they are pumping students through their system like a factory. anyone is let in and allowed to graduate because once they graduate they have to pay the entire loans back and the school has their money. my own personal class, if i were an instructor would not have let more than half of them pass, majority would show up late/leave early or just plain not show up at all and somehow still manage A's and B's. anytime someone asks me if they should go to CCA i tell them if they are serious about pursuing a culinary career than to start in a restaurant from scratch. its easier to get into a really nice restaurant with no experience than from CCA...i found out the hard way.

dont get me wrong, i'm not saying dont be a chef. i love being in a kitchen, really, its the only place i feel comfortable. just dont be a cca chef. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland