Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 12:30 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times

Advertisements

With the latest series of murders the Merc posted this.

Bay Area homicides - San Jose Mercury News

Some patterns are evident.

Black on black seems to affect mostly 20 somethings.

Whereas the Norteno - Sureno stuff knows fewer age boundaries.

The transformation of EPA from a "rough black area" to a barrio is apparently complete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 01:31 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,722 times
Is anyone else a little disturbed by the increase in San Jose's homicide rate in recent years? I know it's still a pretty low rate for a city its size, but compared to how it used to be (SJ being named the safest big city in the nation, etc.) it's kind of a concerning trend.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:50 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Is anyone else a little disturbed by the increase in San Jose's homicide rate in recent years? I know it's still a pretty low rate for a city its size, but compared to how it used to be (SJ being named the safest big city in the nation, etc.) it's kind of a concerning trend.
The numbers are still really small, and other categories of violent crime are going down. The rate of assaults has been cut by more than half in the past 10 years. Property crime has been rising though, which is something that's more likely to touch the average resident.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:40 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
Quote:

I don't think it's quite as concerning as some people make it out to be. I used to spend a ton of time in the heart of the infamous East Side (went to school for many years near Story Rd./McLaughlin Ave. and had a few friends who grew up in the area) and it was much worse in the 80's-90's than it is today. Crime is up in San Jose, but most of the city is still safe. Most of the serious crime occurs in the East Side and in some other small pockets around town. One of my close friends grew up near Capitol Expwy. and Story Rd. and I couldn't believe some of the stories of violence she'd tell me about that she'd see on a regular basis over there in the 80's. It's actually quieted down quite a bit since then, despite the recent uptick in crime.

A large part of homicides in SJ are gang on gang violence that occur in known gang territory. Places like Willow Glen or Almaden Valley are like a whole other world compared to places like the East Side and residents of the nicer parts of SJ are typically not affected by crime.

Crime can happen anywhere, but the media tends to sensationalize the problem and make it seem like everybody is being affected by it. Most crime is not random.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:26 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Yes I mentioned this in another thread. San Jose however is one of those cities that has a police shortage. Now I don't have numbers available to me but there certainly does seem to be a direct correlation. Oakland is in the same situation but Richmond, a city that has recently added a lot of cops has seen a reduction in crime.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:35 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Opportunities become available for criminals when police numbers are low. Look at Oakland... 1 part time officer per 10,000 burglary reports!

Old 05-17-2013, 07:52 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times
I get uneasy when I hear the increase in crime followed by "...but we're still one of the safest cities." The gap is closing and if it continues then it won't be. And even if we still are...a doubling of the homicide rate (as happened in 2011) is nothing to write off.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
So for a region of 6 million people, we have 103 homicides.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:20 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
What in the world?

Coroner identifies two men killed in I-880 shooting near Oracle | www.ktvu.com

They were driving home from the Warriors' playoff game.

I can't stand how helpless we appear to be, to stop these lawless criminals from doing whatever they want, shooting at whomever they want, without any respect for human life whatsoever.

I drive that stretch of freeway twice a day. Can't help but thinking that could have been me. And that angers me.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:04 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What in the world?

Coroner identifies two men killed in I-880 shooting near Oracle | www.ktvu.com

They were driving home from the Warriors' playoff game.

I can't stand how helpless we appear to be, to stop these lawless criminals from doing whatever they want, shooting at whomever they want, without any respect for human life whatsoever.

I drive that stretch of freeway twice a day. Can't help but thinking that could have been me. And that angers me.
It's really tragic and makes me want to arm myself... Government needs to get this under control unless it wants us to go back to the Wild West days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland