Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2013, 10:39 AM

5 posts, read 16,500 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to SF from LA within a month. I will be working in Redwood Shores. I am single with no kids. I would like to move to the city particularly in the Richmond or Sunset areas but I am considering to perhaps move to an area halfway between the city and Redwood Shores.

What is the commute like from Richmond or Sunset to Redwood Shores. I understand that taking the 280 instead of the 101 and cutting across the 92 is the way to go. How is street parking in the Richmond and Sunset areas. Would I be able to find parking on my street or would I have to pay extra to park my car.

What good areas would you recommend halfway between the city and Redwood Shores for renting/living.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by abotman; 05-18-2013 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 11:20 AM

104 posts, read 190,318 times
Of those areas, I would look into the inner Sunset, which is very nice and close to shops and restaurants. The outer areas of both the Sunset and the Richmond feel a bit remote and are rather cool and foggy. To commute you will probably take 19th to 280, which can be painful, especially if coming from the Richmond. Once you get to 280 it won't be bad. If you decide to live outside the City, I'd go south to San Mateo and live near downtown, which is about as urban as you'll get on the Peninsula.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:27 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abotman View Post
I am going to be moving to SF from LA within a month. I will be working in Redwood Shores. I am single with no kids. I would like to move to the city particularly in the Richmond or Sunset areas but I am considering to perhaps move to an area halfway between the city and Redwood Shores.

What is the commute like from Richmond or Sunset to Redwood Shores. I understand that taking the 280 instead of the 101 and cutting across the 92 is the way to go. What is the street parking situation in the Richmond and Sunset areas. Would I be able to find parking on my street or would I have to pay extra to park my car.

What good areas would you recommend halfway between the city and Redwood Shores for renting/living.

Thanks so much!
Street parking is pretty tough in Inner Richmond and Inner Sunset. You'll have an easier time finding street parking in Outer Sunset or Outer Richmond. However, Richmond is one of the furthest neighborhoods you could go from Redwood Shores. I'd recommend looking for a place in Potrero Hill because it will be a shorter commute and you'll receive the most sun in San Francisco. You could also look into Mission Bay too.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:24 AM

622 posts, read 1,146,096 times
Actually, I live in Parkside, which is also called the Outer Sunset by those who don't know better. One of my housemates works in South San Francisco and before living with us he had an in-law somewhere else in the Outer Sunset.

It's fine and, believe it or not, a lot of days are nice and sunny. I've only lived in the area since January and I know when the summer hits we'll get hit with the fog banks rolling in, but thus far the weather hasn't been as bad as many claim. My boyfriend lives in Berkeley, so there are days where it's overcast and cloudy where I am and I know it's bright and sunny in downtown San Francisco and in Berkeley. However, there are many days where the sun is out.

There are some great grocery stores. From where I live I can walk to a big Asian grocery and to a mainstream one; I can also walk to a Walgreens store. It does have a suburban feel because there is a big shopping center on Sloat and the Stonestown mall on 19th. But the cool thing about that mall? It's got a Trader Joe's, so you can take in some suburban treats like a lemonade from Hot Dog on a Stick, but also go grocery shopping. From where I live I can hop on the bus and be there in a few minutes. If you have a car, of course, you can drive there.

Speaking of driving, both of my housemates have cars, so living in an area where parking is really easy was important too. From where we are it's a straight shot to the 280.

Don't rule out the Outer Sunset or Parkside. It's great. In fact, as I sit here in an NYC high-rise, I can't wait to get back home in a couple of weeks.

Get advice from people who live in the areas you're thinking about. BTW, I'm another L.A. to San Francisco transplant. However, I moved up here in the 90s for law school, and moved away and moved back a few times since then.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
Actually, I live in Parkside, which is also called the Outer Sunset by those who don't know better. One of my housemates works in South San Francisco and before living with us he had an in-law somewhere else in the Outer Sunset.
+1 Lakeshore, Merced Manor, Parkside are excellent areas north of Lake Merced / west of 19th Avenue were you can jump onto 280 in less than 5 minutes via 19th Ave or Brotherhood Way.

Agreed that Richmond district being worse (relatively for living in SF) for going to the mid or south bay since it takes some local driving before hitting the highways. But if you work in downtown - then Richmond district would be very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland