Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times

Advertisements

No offense at all, but I lived in Santa Cruz from 92 to 94 and went to Oakland twice. Once to do research for my paper on Malcom X and one for a rave. On both occasions I got mad dogged quite a bit being the only white guy around at the time. And I know what gangsters look like and act as I did social work with them in a group home for a year.

At the rave there was a shooting in the parking lot about 50 yds from me. Luckily the guy wasn't hit the other fired 2-3 rounds. Black guy shooting at Hispanic. Now granted raves were parties to the extreme, but in the 10 or so I went to that was the only shooting. Fist fights sure occasionally but not gunfire. After the shooting I tried to run back in the rave but security locked the door. About 2 minutes later hard core gang bangers drove up with their low rider hydraulic cars with dinkies mad dogging every one hoping to stir up more trouble just driving around staring at people. No one messed with them so they left. Not one cop showed up at all. That was the last time I went to Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 10:05 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i would suggest that u take a stroll alone along lake merritt late at night to demonstrate your assertions that oakland has no crime. make sure your insurance is paid up b4 u leave.
...so you can see yuppies walking/jogging around the lake? Honestly, outside of ridiculous hill-side homes, Lake Merritt is probably Oakland's tamest and certainly its most gorgeous area. I walk around the lake at night a lot and rarely see anyone that makes me feel anything but in a good mood.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:01 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
...so you can see yuppies walking/jogging around the lake? Honestly, outside of ridiculous hill-side homes, Lake Merritt is probably Oakland's tamest and certainly its most gorgeous area. I walk around the lake at night a lot and rarely see anyone that makes me feel anything but in a good mood.
Sometimes I used to run around the lake at night when I wanted to clear my head....cut through the park several times as well. Never had a single problem except for being propositioned. lol

Old 05-22-2013, 07:58 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
No offense at all, but I lived in Santa Cruz from 92 to 94 and went to Oakland twice. Once to do research for my paper on Malcom X and one for a rave. On both occasions I got mad dogged quite a bit being the only white guy around at the time. And I know what gangsters look like and act as I did social work with them in a group home for a year.

At the rave there was a shooting in the parking lot about 50 yds from me. Luckily the guy wasn't hit the other fired 2-3 rounds. Black guy shooting at Hispanic. Now granted raves were parties to the extreme, but in the 10 or so I went to that was the only shooting. Fist fights sure occasionally but not gunfire. After the shooting I tried to run back in the rave but security locked the door. About 2 minutes later hard core gang bangers drove up with their low rider hydraulic cars with dinkies mad dogging every one hoping to stir up more trouble just driving around staring at people. No one messed with them so they left. Not one cop showed up at all. That was the last time I went to Oakland.
Cool story bro. I'm sure Oakland today is EXACTLY like you remembered the two times you went there, with the sole intention of associating with illegal activity, one for 'research' and the other for pleasure.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:43 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Cool story bro. I'm sure Oakland today is EXACTLY like you remembered the two times you went there, with the sole intention of associating with illegal activity, one for 'research' and the other for pleasure.
You do know some people post the truth..........I was there to research Malcom X for a paper as the Oakland public library had the best info on him and the Black Panther Party. Maybe you should try checking out your own library and see.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:01 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
You do know some people post the truth..........I was there to research Malcom X for a paper as the Oakland public library had the best info on him and the Black Panther Party. Maybe you should try checking out your own library and see.
Your anecdotal story about visiting a couple times twenty years ago doesn't pertain to the subject at hand, still. I know Brooklynites who tell stories of entire blocks getting shot up on a nightly basis in the 1990s which now have yuppies pushing strollers and drinking lattes not looking out of place.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:03 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times
Quote:

the only white guy at a rave sounds more than a little off. i have been to raves in downtown detroit in the late 90's and they were overwhelmingly young white people in a city 80% AA.
it's just not a scene where you would be the only white guy.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:03 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Quote:
I'm not saying a shooting couldn't have happened at an illegal, underground rave where people are on drugs and surrounded by a criminal element. That doesn't sound surprising at all actually. Sorry the criminals you were associating with were giving you dirty looks because you looked out of place.

As for going to the Oakland public library to research the Black Panther Party, you really are a scholar aren't you? So much better than actually interviewing countless citizens of Oakland who could provide an even richer history found in books...

Thanks for sharing your opinions and experiences. They really show the true Oakland!

Old 05-22-2013, 11:04 AM

39 posts, read 84,260 times
Although East and West Oakland are known as the crime areas, basically anywhere in Oakland is pretty bad. Statistics don't lie. 1 in 91 residents were robbed last year, your odds are higher if you look like an easy target (ie. have money). Oakland is the robbery capital of America, 36% worse than the second worst city. Also the 7th deadliest city in America and not improving anytime soon with 3 police chiefs this month.

My advice to OP is don't lull yourself into a false sense of security or listen to the Oakland Fan Boys of this forum, do your own research.

Oakland Has More Robberies Than Any City In America

http://www.crimemapping.com/

Old 05-22-2013, 11:10 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asnboy1084 View Post
Although East and West Oakland are known as the crime areas, basically anywhere in Oakland is pretty bad. Statistics don't lie. 1 in 91 residents were robbed last year, your odds are higher if you look like an easy target (ie. have money). Oakland is the robbery capital of America, 36% worse than the second worst city. Also the 7th deadliest city in America and not improving anytime soon with 3 police chiefs this month.

My advice to OP is don't lull yourself into a false sense of security or listen to the Oakland Fan Boys of this forum, do your own research.

Oakland Has More Robberies Than Any City In America

http://www.crimemapping.com/
By "Oakland fanboys" of course you mean "Oakland residents", which you are not. Please leave the advice to those who actually know the city, rather than falsehoods such as "anywhere in Oakland is pretty bad".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland