Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:43 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,528,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
I have recent first hand experience on the topic. I'd say the difference is about 30%. For my wifes job, the Robert Half salary guide publishes a 1.06 factor for Houston, and 1.35 for SF. She's just started looking, so we'll see how well that plays out. Federal GS local factors are in the same ballpark.

But that's not even the point I was making. Houston has always been a manufacturing and transportation center more than high tech and financial. Medical, yes, but remember the entire Texas Medical Center and all its members are not for profit institutions.
As I said all those theories don't mean anything. Get job in both cities at the same level and tell me if there is a difference. Do you think a school teacher in SF makes more tha what they make in Houston?

Salaries are the same and so people here live like slum dwellers and people in Houston live like rich in the same salary.. Yes the Texas medical center is non profit and their cancer center is best in the world.. And that's because they run it based on humanitarian values and scientific integrity unlike the money sucking, soulless, greedy companies in bay area. If your whole life revolves around money and you have no other moral or cultural aspect to your life, then by all means enjoy your high (imaginary) salaries and hedonistic life style in ay area-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 12:54 AM

507 posts, read 922,927 times
That's exactly what I did. I had job offers for similar positions both in Houston and the Bay Area. So, I know the differences! I'm moving in just about a month. And the offer I accepted is at a major research lab... not really a hedonistic lifestyle at a soulless company.

(Note: not that I am opposed to hedonistic lifestyles, as long as they're environmentally conscious!)

Old 09-23-2013, 10:55 AM

411 posts, read 722,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
As I said all those theories don't mean anything. Get job in both cities at the same level and tell me if there is a difference. Do you think a school teacher in SF makes more tha what they make in Houston?

Salaries are the same and so people here live like slum dwellers and people in Houston live like rich in the same salary.. Yes the Texas medical center is non profit and their cancer center is best in the world.. And that's because they run it based on humanitarian values and scientific integrity unlike the money sucking, soulless, greedy companies in bay area. If your whole life revolves around money and you have no other moral or cultural aspect to your life, then by all means enjoy your high (imaginary) salaries and hedonistic life style in ay area-
Can you stop posting vitriolic statements combined with unsupported and false assertions?

On teacher salaries, here's the NEA's 2011-12 survey of teacher salaries: NEA - 2011-2012 Average Starting Teacher Salaries by State

Nat'l Avg: 35.6k
CA: 41k (I'm sure the Bay Area is higher than the CA average)
TX: 34k (20% less than CA)

Yes, TX hospitals are all altruistic ppl run by doctors and insurance companies who don't care to get paid while CA hospitals are all greedy ppl run by doctors and insurance companies who are looking to rip off patients

Old 09-23-2013, 12:32 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,505,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
And apparently we will get to vote on whether to put up an condo complex on the Embarcadero at Washington .... VOTE NO!
Too late.

There was simply not enough business at the old club to justify the current land use.

I know I'll miss it, but that version of the City died a long time ago.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:38 AM

343 posts, read 446,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
Lower wages and unlimited sprawl. Poor transit. Terrible weather. Most small towns and sprawl metros have the same pattern, and are basically interchangeable. And housing "inside the loop" in Houston isn't exactly cheap; maybe not SF, but think nice parts of Oakland. More premium areas, think Berkeley.
I didn't say anything else was good about Houston. There is a simple thing SF could do to lower housing costs, which is allow a lot more housing to be built so supply gets closer to demand. There's no room for sprawl, so that's not a concern. Housing units built in SF are new housing units that don't need to be built in Pleasanton, Novato, Tracy, etc - sprawly places

Old 09-24-2013, 04:06 PM

I'd love to vote to increase permits and zoning density in SF. Build as much as the market can handle. However, my vote does very little good from 2,000 miles away.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:43 PM

460 posts, read 985,334 times
Increase zoning density in SF so that it supports a population of at least 1 million. And build subway stations running north and south on Van Ness. We have 13 subway stations and 20 would be a lot better.

The severe housing shortage is wreaking havoc on the rental and homeownership market.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:51 PM

Perhaps it can be marketed as a "housing crisis" that needs an "emergency intervention" to change the zoning laws. Americans won't change policy until it's presented as an 11th hour, do or die issue.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:19 AM

457 posts, read 759,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post

I had very similar offers in the tech industry in Arizona, Texas, and Bay Area. Bay Area was 30% higher than either of those two regions.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:12 PM

165 posts, read 279,106 times
No, it's just getting started. Over 50 new highrises will get going between now and 5 years. Transportation is also improving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland