Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 06:57 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of moving to San Fran and visited, but only saw some of the city. But what I saw, I wasn't crazy about. I basically walked through the NE part, I saw North Beach, China Town, Financial District, South of Market and Mission District. From what I heard, South of Market and Mission District were supposed to be nice, but I didn't see much. I didn't know if I might have missed the good parts of those two because I wasn't sure where exactly to go in those parts. I was basically around 5th to 8th street, above 80. I just saw homeless people everywhere. In Mission District, I think I was between 16th and 20th st, around Folsom.

What I was really wanting was a residential trendy younger neighborhood. For example, like Hollywood or Santa Monica in LA, or Lakeview or Lincoln Park in Chicago. Where are those equivalents in San Fran? I'm on the fence now, so hopefully some of these responses will get me off of that fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 07:05 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Who told you SoMa and the Mission were nice?! That's strange. You were misinformed. Pacific Heights, Noe Valley and Russian Hill are nice. Noe Valley's trendy, I guess. A younger crowd wouldn't be able to afford it, unless it was a successful younger crowd, though. Maybe the Castro district? What SoMa and the Mission are, is relatively more affordable. That's because they're not "nice". One is a former industrial/warehouse district that's being gentrified and has been turned into lofts (still a work in progress), and the Mission is the Latin barrio (especially the part you saw), which was "discovered" because of its low rents. Those values have shot up ever since it was "discovered", though. And it's still a higher-crime area.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:12 PM

538 posts, read 1,191,845 times
You did for some reason were around the worst of SoMa and Mission. SoMa is not particularly picturesque, but where you were, the area is known as mid-Market, is one of the worst parts of it. Mission is also a very mixed bag. While all of it has undeniable character, what you were looking for is around Dolores Park and along Valencia/Guerrero.
Another place to check out for you would be Lower Haight/Haight-Ashbury (Haight St). If you are looking for Hollywood/Santa Monica vibe, check out Marina/Cow Hollow - (Chestnut St and Union St).

Old 06-06-2013, 11:16 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,041,250 times
Check out the Marina District and Nob Hill.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:42 AM

339 posts, read 516,097 times
Of the "core" young, yuppie/hipster residential neighborhoods, there are two general regions: Northern San Francisco and Southern San Francisco. They're separated by a weird, fairly scary middle area of the city made up of Western Addition (projects) and the Tenderloin (SROs, crackheads, stabbings).

Southern San Francisco is made up of the contiguous neighborhoods of Alamo Square/ Haight/ Castro/ Noe Valley/ Hayes Valley/ Mission/ SoMa/ Protrero Hill/ Dogpatch. It's the "new" part of the city, and is currently going through some intense gentrification. It has the best restaurants and bars, and is dominated by a hipster and tech crowd, with a healthy gay presence.

Northern San Francisco is made up of Marina/ Cow Hollow/ Pacific Heights/ Nob Hill/ Russian Hill/ Telegraph Hill/ North Beach. It's more established, and while beautiful, has lost some of its luster. Restaurants and bars are not as good. People are generally not as interesting. A lot of business dudes in town at conferences. Tends to be preppier, frattier with a big finance/ attornney crowd.

I like both areas, although I split my time 75-25 favoring Southern San Francisco. I would spend a sunny afternoon on the Marina Green and Dolores Park. Whichever you feel more comfortable in, choose that side of the city.

I love Chicago, but San Francisco is infinitely more interesting. No neighborhood is quite as white, yuppified and polished as Lincoln Park, but I think that's a good thing. Also, most of the city is safe, unlike 2/3 of Chicago. Not sure about LA as I haven't spent much time there.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:38 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times
Your posts have been helpful. I am thinking Northern Fran is better for me. I'm your typical midwest guy. I like sports bars and watching football on Sundays. I was thinking Marina, Cow Hollow, or Pacific Heights? I want to street map it. What are the intersections for the main strips of bars/restaurants in these areas?

Old 06-07-2013, 10:19 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Your posts have been helpful. I am thinking Northern Fran is better for me. I'm your typical midwest guy. I like sports bars and watching football on Sundays. I was thinking Marina, Cow Hollow, or Pacific Heights? I want to street map it. What are the intersections for the main strips of bars/restaurants in these areas?

"Northern Fran" sounds like a name for a prostitute. You may want to use terms like "The City" or "SF".

Old 06-07-2013, 10:21 AM

486 posts, read 1,255,988 times
Don't move here then. San Francisco is like fine jewelry. If you don't absolutely love it in the store, then you aren't going to like it once you take it home.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:31 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Try Chestnut St for the Marina.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:54 AM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Try Chestnut St for the Marina.
Chestnut St. is just 4 tiny blocks of average restaurants and boring shops between Divisadero and Fillmore. Its worth a visit about once every two years if one lives in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland