Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:26 PM

486 posts, read 1,255,890 times

Advertisements

I'm a Bay Area resident, but I don't go up to the city that often. When I do, I try to pick my time/dates to avoid crowds in the touristy areas.

I have family coming to visit over 4th of July, and the things on their "must" list are GG Bridge and GG Park. I know those places can get super crowded, so I was hoping for some general advice.

1. GG Bridge: I was thinking of hitting this up from the new Visitor Pavilion, which I believe is part of the Presidio? Any suggestions on where to park inside the Presidio?

2. GG Park: This is the larger challenge. I always park in the underground garage underneath the courtyard between the Academy of Sciences and De Young. But I've always gone during random weekday times, so haven't had a problem finding a spot. Will this be doable on 4th of July? Anywhere else to park in the Park? Seems to be street parking, not sure how feasible that will be.

Any suggestions on how to time our visit? Would Friday be a bit better for crowds? Or maybe it won't matter? I was thinking of going to the GG Bridge fairly early on Thursday (4th of July) at around 8 AM, then touring the Presidio, getting some lunch, and then going to GG Park at around 1 pm. Should I reverse that and go to GG Park in the morning instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 01:28 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
There's parking to one side of the DeYoung museum, probably restricted to Museum patrons. Somebody in your party could go into the museum and buy a ticket, to justify the parking spot.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:41 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Except for the fireworks along the waterfront at night I don't think SF is particularly crowded during 4th of July weekend. A lot of residents seem to leave to places like Tahoe or something.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Except for the fireworks along the waterfront at night I don't think SF is particularly crowded during 4th of July weekend. A lot of residents seem to leave to places like Tahoe or something.
What about the influx of tourists?

Old 06-14-2013, 03:18 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's parking to one side of the DeYoung museum, probably restricted to Museum patrons. Somebody in your party could go into the museum and buy a ticket, to justify the parking spot.
If you're talking about the garage underneath the concourse between the DeYoung and the Academy of Sciences, you don't have to go to either museum to park there. It's just a big garage that happens to be next to both musuems, but there's nothing that requires you to attend either museum.

That being said, I don't think I'd park there unless I was going to the museum given the cost. You can usually find parking in most areas of the park along the streets (or on streets just outside it) unless it's an unusually busy weekend day or some event is going on (such as Outside Lands, Hardly Strictly, etc.).

Golden Gate Park Parking

Old 06-14-2013, 03:18 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
July 4th isn't much of a tourist draw in SF -- unlike Boston or Washington which have big outdoor concerts etc. I'd guess that more people leave town than come to town. And it's on a Thursday this year, which will make it feel even less like a holiday.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
July 4th isn't much of a tourist draw in SF -- unlike Boston or Washington which have big outdoor concerts etc. I'd guess that more people leave town than come to town. And it's on a Thursday this year, which will make it feel even less like a holiday.
I hope so.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:21 PM

219 posts, read 436,231 times
Check the SF Chron entertainment section for free concerts in parks around the Bay Area. Marin County's a good bet for that.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
If you're talking about the garage underneath the concourse between the DeYoung and the Academy of Sciences, you don't have to go to either museum to park there. It's just a big garage that happens to be next to both musuems, but there's nothing that requires you to attend either museum.

That being said, I don't think I'd park there unless I was going to the museum given the cost. You can usually find parking in most areas of the park along the streets (or on streets just outside it) unless it's an unusually busy weekend day or some event is going on (such as Outside Lands, Hardly Strictly, etc.).

Golden Gate Park Parking
That's actually the lot I referenced in the OP. I usually park there.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:46 PM

622 posts, read 1,146,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Yeah, I agree with this assessment. The areas near the waterfront will get busy before the fireworks show, but the tourists you're going to run into is the crowd that's usually here. (I say that as I'm sitting in the plaza area near In-n-Out Burger at Fisherman's Wharf - irritating but they help the local economy.)

In terms of Golden Gate Park, there is tons of parking around in the avenues. I went to the Outside Lands music festival last year and drove in from Berkeley (where I lived at the time). I found a spot very nearby and didn't have too much traffic getting out of there afterwards. It just depends on what area(s) of the park you want to visit and when.

I'd err on the side of getting there in the morning and you should be fine. Have a little bit of patience or have none and pay. If you opt for street parking, just make sure you read the signs as there is some parking in the park itself (but I've only parked on the streets inside the park when I'm heading to the Nightlife event at the California Academy of Sciences.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland