Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:48 AM

189 posts, read 362,420 times

Advertisements

Is that a reasonable figure for rent for a 1 Bedroom to live in Berkeley, Oakland or Walnut Creek?

Last edited by gaijin_samurai; 08-26-2013 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 09:10 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,563 times
I've seen TWO bedroom apartments in Walnut Creek for $1,500, so it is doable. I would assume Oakland and Berkeley you could find them as well.

Here's a nice 1 bd in WC on Craig's list.

Coming Soon to Diablo Villa! Huge- 795 sqft 1br with 4 closets!

here's another one

Large Beautiful One Bedroom

Old 08-26-2013, 09:32 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Definitely. IT won't be super new though. Possibly in Walnut Creek, but not in Oakland or Berkeley.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:34 AM

189 posts, read 362,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Definitely. IT won't be super new though. Possibly in Walnut Creek, but not in Oakland or Berkeley.
Is Walnut Creek a decent place to live?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
It is awesome. I lived there from 1999-2006, and it was the best 7 years of my life. I was lucky, found a nice 2 bedroom apt 3 blocks from the WC Bart, AND only 3-4 blocks from Downtown Walnut Creek. So where I lived was incredibly convenient. Downtown Walnut Creek has every thing a person could need. Great restaurants, incredible shopping, just a great town to walk around too. I fell in love with it the first day I walked around WC. Virtually no crime, 35 minute Bart ride to San Francisco. To each their own though, some people may find it boring, though it does have some sort of nightlife. I think it's the nicest town in the East Bay. Just a beautiful city. I'd take it over Oakland and Berkeley anyday.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:55 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
Depends on what you want.

Berkeley and Oakland are pretty similar. These are urban, and you can go car-free. Way more diverse than WC. These places have mild summers. Berkeley is chillier than Oakland in the summer. Berkeley summer highs are about 70-72, and the fog rolls in and out a bit earlier. Oakland summer is more like 75 and sunny. The restaurant scene is very exciting in Oakland these days. New stuff opening like every week.

Walnut Creek is pretty different. It is suburban. A nice suburb, that has parts that are walkable. I think WC is too family for me. I visit every few weeks for shopping though. Way better food scene than any other suburban part of the Bay Area. WC has hot summers and slightly cooler winters.

If you want sort of suburban and family friendly with cooler sunny summers in the 70s, add Albany and Alameda to your list. Albany weather is more like Berkeley. Alameda weather is a a bit warmer than Oakland.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:48 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
It is awesome. I lived there from 1999-2006, and it was the best 7 years of my life. I was lucky, found a nice 2 bedroom apt 3 blocks from the WC Bart, AND only 3-4 blocks from Downtown Walnut Creek. So where I lived was incredibly convenient. Downtown Walnut Creek has every thing a person could need. Great restaurants, incredible shopping, just a great town to walk around too. I fell in love with it the first day I walked around WC. Virtually no crime, 35 minute Bart ride to San Francisco. To each their own though, some people may find it boring, though it does have some sort of nightlife. I think it's the nicest town in the East Bay. Just a beautiful city. I'd take it over Oakland and Berkeley anyday.
Indeed, to each his own.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:56 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Your budget is do-able for any of the towns you mentioned. For best quality of life here, live close to where you live. All three towns have great areas. Oakland most crime, Walnut Creek least.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:19 PM

243 posts, read 467,482 times
There is also Alameda.Probably similar to WC in terms of price.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:59 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Walnut Creek is way nicer than either Oakland or Berkeley, in terms of it being cleaner, safer, more upscale, more scenic, and a lot sunnier and warmer, but it's cheaper because it's farther from the City. And it's very suburban, despite a bustling, dense downtown. If you like hiking, tennis, golf, swimming, biking, horseback riding, shopping, walking around, and you don't mind a lack of cultural diversity, then WC is your place. If you like urban pleasures like flea markets, funky little art galleries, interesting people watching, coffee, cool neighborhood restaurants with unique menus, a denser city environment, older architecture, cooler weather, proximity to SF, and great urban parks for reading and picnicking, then Berkeley or Oakland are your better bet. I really like all of those things, and I live in the Berkeley/Oakland area, but I often visit WC to enjoy the quieter pace, the warm evenings, and the cheap thrill of valet parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland