Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:17 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mngo4322 View Post
hi

I am a 32 year old female that will be relocating to the SF area for work. My office will be based in the heart of union square in SF and I will only be there on Monday and Fridays. I will be traveling Tuesday thru Thursday within norcal (Walnut Creek, Palo Alto, San Jose, Sacramento, Valley Fair). Due to the high amount of traveling, I will be bringing my car. I was wondering if it is best to live in SF to get the most out of living in the city or should I live outside of SF and commute into SF on my office days? If living outside the city, can you please recommend some areas. I like to be within walking distance to coffee shops, markets, having a cool downtown vibe, and safe. My budget is between $1700-$2000. Any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks
Here's the OP. She won't be commuting to south Bay, only SF. So an Oakland location would be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 11:27 PM

21 posts, read 380,236 times
I'm biased with San Mateo. I love the massive amounts of eateries in downtown San Mateo. Pretty sure you can find something easily in your budge range in San Mateo as well.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:12 AM

33 posts, read 56,832 times
Casting my vote for San Mateo as well. Perfect distance to San Francisco for your Mondays and Fridays.

It will also be perfect for commuting to various parts of the Bay the rest of the week (proximity to 101 for South Bay and Hwy 92 for East Bay).

Your budget should be fine for San Mateo and you should be able to find a place near Coffee Shops and the like.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:37 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Here's the OP. She won't be commuting to south Bay, only SF. So an Oakland location would be fine.
Nope, read it again. She WILL be commuting to South Bay.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:08 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Nope, read it again. She WILL be commuting to South Bay.
OK, fine. Then what about Fremont? Easy commute to San Jose, super-easy to Palo Alto, BART-able to SF, easy to Walnut Creek. No cool, downtown vibe is the only drawback. But she can go to all kinds of great markets in Berkeley on weekends, enjoy the cool vibe on College Ave. or Solano (Berkeley) on weekends, and the restaurants in Oakland and Berkeley. Fremont has some interesting ethnic restaurants, too.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:18 PM

104 posts, read 190,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, fine. Then what about Fremont? Easy commute to San Jose, super-easy to Palo Alto, BART-able to SF, easy to Walnut Creek. No cool, downtown vibe is the only drawback. But she can go to all kinds of great markets in Berkeley on weekends, enjoy the cool vibe on College Ave. or Solano (Berkeley) on weekends, and the restaurants in Oakland and Berkeley. Fremont has some interesting ethnic restaurants, too.
To quote the OP, "I like to be within walking distance to coffee shops, markets, having a cool downtown vibe". Fremont does not sounds like a good match for her at all.

Last edited by funtimessf; 09-01-2013 at 05:27 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 05:37 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Walnut Creek is your best bet. Oakland is decidedly urban and Burlingame is expensive for what you get.
Only thing is commuting from Walnut Creek to Palo Alto/San Mateo is all kinds of suck. If you're only doing it once a week, it'd probably be okay. Reverse commute would be less hassle, sort of, but the Peninsula area is quite a bit more expensive than the East Bay is. It just depends what you're looking for. I'm more an East Bay person. Less built up, a little more rural, especially if you go looking for it.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-01-2013 at 05:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland