Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 12:32 PM

27 posts, read 63,022 times

Advertisements

I think of escaping every single day.

What's so good about the place again? It's absolutely filthy, the homelessness, the potheads, the crazies, the crime. I can't stand the weather either. I want a proper summer like any normal place. I would be OK with the dysfunction if it was some giant world city, but there is no excuse in this small city of 800k. It's like people here try so hard to convince themselves that they live in a "world class" place. The rampant and collective delusion of this place is evident on this very forum. Only in San Francisco and the area do people feel the need to constantly spout to others and remind themselves of how "important" and "great" this place is. It's really not..people say that to convince themselves that the money they pay to live in this dump of a city or the boring Bay Area is so worth it. In the *real* cities I've been to, everyone knows where they live is "great" but no one ever talks about it. Confidence laced with self-depreciating humor. Say one negative thing about this place there is a huge uproar. Pathetic.

And it has nothing to do with money. I can more than afford to stay but I want out. I'm not weird enough or an H-1B visa tech nerd immigrant so I don't fit in. I'm not the only one as everyone seems to be fleeing in droves.

I'm out on business and when I left my home in an "upscale" neighborhood this morning, there was a man peeing on my doorstep. It was just sickening and I needed to vent. I just want to never return.

Last edited by noe83; 09-17-2013 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 12:51 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noe83 View Post
I'm not weird enough
And yet you apparently joined City-Data for the express purpose of venting about how awful San Francisco is. Nothing "weird" about that at all.

Why all the histrionics anyway? If you want to leave, just leave. Take advantage of the enormously inflated value of your home (assuming you own it), sell out, and go see if you can find happiness somewhere else, since it has obviously eluded you here.

And by the way, there's no shortage of criticism of SF here on this forum -- even (and especially) from people who live here. Myself included.

Last edited by pch1013; 09-17-2013 at 01:03 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 12:57 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
To each his own.

Good riddance where ever you decide to move to.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:09 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
No place is perfect and SF and the Bay Area is certainly not perfect. It is expensive because the demand for living here is so great. But, I would say, it is better than many other places in the world.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:09 PM

189 posts, read 362,243 times
Every city is overrated that way.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:24 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
I did leave. The weather was great, and the music/record stores, but the people/culture (I'm east coast) and cost of living were too brutal. Great place to visit.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:28 PM

675 posts, read 1,189,803 times
Quote:

What's so good about the place again? It's absolutely filthy, the homelessness, the potheads, the crazies, the crime. I can't stand the weather either. I want a proper summer like any normal place. I would be OK with the dysfunction if it was some giant world city, but there is no excuse in this small city of 800k. It's like people here try so hard to convince themselves that they live in a "world class" place. The rampant and collective delusion of this place is evident on this very forum. Only in San Francisco and the area do people feel the need to constantly spout to others and remind themselves of how "important" and "great" this place is. It's really not..people say that to convince themselves that the money they pay to live in this dump of a city or the boring Bay Area is so worth it. In the *real* cities I've been to, everyone knows where they live is "great" but no one ever talks about it. Confidence laced with self-depreciating humor. Say one negative thing about this place there is a huge uproar. Pathetic.

And it has nothing to do with money. I can more than afford to stay but I want out. I'm not weird enough or an H-1B visa tech nerd immigrant so I don't fit in. I'm not the only one as everyone seems to be fleeing in droves.

I'm out on business and when I left my home in an "upscale" neighborhood this morning, there was a man peeing on my doorstep. It was just sickening and I needed to vent. I just want to never return.
Come to NYC for a week if you think SF is filthy, and has a homeless problem. You'd be wishing to live in SF everyday, like I am. But then again, some people just hate SF and there is no trying to make them happy about living there. BTW, I'd trade with you in a heartbeat. I hate every second living in NYC, I'd kill to be back in SF.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:58 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I did leave. The weather was great, and the music/record stores, but the people/culture (I'm east coast) and cost of living were too brutal. Great place to visit.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:29 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:

You are complaining about not being able to leave the second most expensive major city in the entire country, well what's stopping you? It also surprises me when people expect SF to be like NYC. The 800,000 population alone should be enough information for any common-sense person to realize SF will seem laid back compared to NYC. This is one of the reasons why I chose SF over NYC.

Moving from SF to Houston is very easy (your money goes 100x further).
Moving from Houston to SF is very hard (your money doesn't go very far).

Old 09-17-2013, 02:35 PM

27 posts, read 63,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
Come to NYC for a week if you think SF is filthy, and has a homeless problem. You'd be wishing to live in SF everyday, like I am. But then again, some people just hate SF and there is no trying to make them happy about living there. BTW, I'd trade with you in a heartbeat. I hate every second living in NYC, I'd kill to be back in SF.
Being born and raised in San Diego, I am not interested in NYC's frigid winters, but WHAT? I've been there several times for business and I don't remember seeing any homeless people at all. I could safely enter a cab and roam Manhattan without a heroin infested smelly homeless jumping out of me looking like they want to bite my head off. AND PEEING ON MY DOOR!!! And SF is more shady/grimy to me. I feel much safer roaming Manhattan. The women (and the men if you like that) are just so much better looking and put together, and there is a scene for "normal" guys like myself. Not to mention way more going on. There really isn't a comparison. People here like to think of themselves as NYC or London or Paris. Ridiculous. I don't like that cold miserable wind chill in the winter, but I put up with that miserable weather and trade SF for NYC in 0.1 of a second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland