Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 5,226 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am relocating to the SF Bay area for work in Palo Alto. I am not too familiar with the area, but have scouted out two really nice apartments in Santa Clara and San Bruno. I've weighed the pros and cons with both and they seem almost identical. Both have quick access to an airport, CalTrain, shopping etc.

My only nagging question is the commute via car. I know the 280 is the way to go, but how is the commute from San Bruno to Palo Alto generally? Should I plan for an hour each way?

Alternatively, is the Santa Clara to Palo Alto commute any better via the Central Expressway? I realize I'll have to make some sort of compromise, but I was hoping those of you who have actually had to battle the roads might have some friendly words of wisdom. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 08:52 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
San Bruno to Palo Alto via 280 is not as bad as via 101. Your commute from Santa Clara to Palo Alto is much shorter, but will be more congested during traffic hour. 45 minutes should be fine from San Bruno.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:47 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
I've lived in both of those general areas and have driven frequently up and down the peninsula for the past 15 years. From Santa Clara to Palo Alto you can use Central Expwy or surface streets to save yourself the crawl at the metering lights (both ways) and the slowdowns on the freeways, but it's still congested, a lot of lights and people merging at all of them, so don't get the impression that it's a get out of jail free card.

San Bruno to Palo Alto is not too bad. You can get to 280 easily from anywhere in San Bruno, and there are some slowdowns only during the peak of rush hour or when there is bad weather or poor visibility. It tends to be worse for people coming from the East Bay on 92, and when there are issues on the bridge it can back up traffic onto 280 rarely. On the Palo Alto side, you can use either Sand Hill or Page Mill to get to your employer depending on where they are located. If you need to take 101 as an alternate, you can anticipate acute pain. In the morning it is heavy between 380 and Hillsdale Ave, and in the evening coming northbound, it is often a parking lot starting at Woodside Road all the way up to the airport. If it is a good option for you logistically, you can consider parking your car in Millbrae and taking an express Caltrain to downtown Palo Alto.

As far as quality of living, San Bruno is a quiet and relatively sparsely populated suburb of San Francisco that lies in the airport flightpath. There is some retail in town, but for most of your typical shopping you will typically be heading up to Daly City, especially if you are going to be in the apartments off of Crystal Springs. Santa Clara has a lot more options close by due to the more pro-development and retail friendly climate.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:52 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post

As far as quality of living, San Bruno is a quiet and relatively sparsely populated suburb of San Francisco that lies in the airport flightpath. There is some retail in town, but for most of your typical shopping you will typically be heading up to Daly City, especially if you are going to be in the apartments off of Crystal Springs. Santa Clara has a lot more options close by due to the more pro-development and retail friendly climate.
In San Bruno there is Tanforan, a large shopping mall (right by 380), which isn't just "some" retail. You can of course go up to Serramonte (off 280) in DC if needed.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,226 times
Thank you for the responses -- this has helped immensely. I have heard the horrors of the 101 and pretty much ruled it out, but I think the Millbrae to Palo Alto option via CalTrain might prove to be a good alternative, especially since the San Bruno CalTrains are a bit more limited. As for air traffic, I kinda figured I would have to deal with it -- additionally since I was looking at a place in Santa Clara that is also right next to the San Jose airport. I suppose either way I'll know I can escape SF Bay if I have a really bad day at work.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:50 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
In San Bruno there is Tanforan, a large shopping mall (right by 380), which isn't just "some" retail. You can of course go up to Serramonte (off 280) in DC if needed.
Yep, I certainly know about Tanforan as I lived two lights away on El Camino for a couple years. Still wound up going to Serramonte pretty routinely.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:11 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Keep in mind that departure flight path from SJC is to the north on normal days and about 15% of the days, the departure path with be to the south when the wind shifts.

Departure noise from SJC is pretty evident, particularly over the area of Santa Clara near Great America Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllew View Post
Thank you for the responses -- this has helped immensely. I have heard the horrors of the 101 and pretty much ruled it out, but I think the Millbrae to Palo Alto option via CalTrain might prove to be a good alternative, especially since the San Bruno CalTrains are a bit more limited. As for air traffic, I kinda figured I would have to deal with it -- additionally since I was looking at a place in Santa Clara that is also right next to the San Jose airport. I suppose either way I'll know I can escape SF Bay if I have a really bad day at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland