Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 10:16 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I'm assuming your mother is Asian. Is she not? I really don't think comparing black people to Asian people in this country is apples:apples. Moving to this country as a poor immigrant is quite a bit different than having generation after generation of marginalization, welfare handouts, and a culture of crime.

*note: I'm not saying ALL Asians are the same. They definitely aren't. It's a statistical category made up by the Census Bureau, not me.
Whoa. That was intense.

What Oakland needs is a good police force. Catch and punish people who commit crimes. The word gets out. The bad people go somewhere else. Easy math.

Take guns away from the innocent people just trying to protect themselves from the bad guys? You're nuts. Then only the bad guys have guns? Hmmmm. Who has the power in that situation?

Let the bad guys know the good people also have guns. But the bad guys actually go to jail if they use theirs inappropriately.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 11,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
The bill would empower the City Council to approve and enact a local ordinance requiring gun owners to annually register and license all firearms with a city agency.

Oh yeah, I can totally see all of the criminals in Oakland registering their firearms. Definitely. Why didn't they think of this sooner?

Old 10-10-2013, 11:07 PM

507 posts, read 917,597 times
You probably can't stop crime without removing the economic incentive to commit a crime. So, this means eliminating the black markets by legalizing and regulating the goods and services traded. At some point perhaps it should be considered if the side effects of prohibitions are worse than the original problem.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:11 PM

507 posts, read 917,597 times
On the topic of guns, I think it's just nonsense both ways, and the presence/absence of gun laws is totally irrelevant in the real world. Texas is awash in guns, supposedly as deterrence, but my friends who've done rotations at the county hospital assure me that people continue to arrive with gun shot wounds, knife wounds, etc.

My wife and I disagree on the value of concealed carry. Perhaps if you've had training as a soldier and combat experience. But I think most people when faced when the real adrenaline pumping fight-flight stress of a violent encounter are in no condition to actually grab and use their weapon, much less rationally consider the situation and run through the consequences.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:17 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Whoa. That was intense.

What Oakland needs is a good police force. Catch and punish people who commit crimes. The word gets out. The bad people go somewhere else. Easy math.

Take guns away from the innocent people just trying to protect themselves from the bad guys? You're nuts. Then only the bad guys have guns? Hmmmm. Who has the power in that situation?

Let the bad guys know the good people also have guns. But the bad guys actually go to jail if they use theirs inappropriately.
reading comprehension is clearly not your strong suit. I didn't say ONE WORD about gun control

Old 10-10-2013, 11:48 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Create a data base to spy on law abiding citizens, where failure to register result in them being called criminals. Brilliant, who knew solving crime in oakland would be so easy!

if we could only spy on more law abiding people, that would solve all of oaklands gun problems. Lol! This almost as comical as city college losing its accredation, until you realize this does nothing to solve oaklands problems.

Just more proof as to how out of touch, oakland voters are.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:58 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
It's safe to assume that a person who is willing to kill someone for money is also a person that won't follow instructions to register their guns. Instead of spending resources on this system, why not hire more cops? In addition, why not make punishments for gun related crimes much harsher, so they aren't back on the streets? These kinds of laws do nothing to deter crime and just makes life for law abiding citizens harder.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:05 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Right. Just like locking up violent criminals with gun charges seems deter them from such behavior in the future. Oh wait...

I do agree that we need to spend more money on police and education, as long as guns are readily available (legal or otherwise), there's going to be gun violence and gun associated crime. Obviously punishment doesn't seem like much of a deterrent...

Old 10-11-2013, 05:02 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Closed. Gone national, nothing about Oakland any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland