Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:36 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,602,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig formally informed the Oakland A's this summer that the team's bid to move San Jose had been denied.

The court filing Friday said that Selig "formally notified the Athletics' ownership that he was not satisfied with the club's relocation proposal."
Court records show MLB denied A's move to San Jose - SFGate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 10:41 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,042,058 times
We all knew where MLB and Selig stood on this issue long ago.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:48 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,853,578 times
Ah, the joys of running a monopoly.

Didn't figure the owners would want to appear to renege on a promise to investors made by the SF Giants that ensured that their "territorial rights" to the South Bay would remain intact long after their new stadium was built. Rights offered for nothing by the A's to their regional rivals to help them stay in the Bay Area.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:26 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,073,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Ah, the joys of running a monopoly.

Didn't figure the owners would want to appear to renege on a promise to investors made by the SF Giants that ensured that their "territorial rights" to the South Bay would remain intact long after their new stadium was built. Rights offered for nothing by the A's to their regional rivals to help them stay in the Bay Area.
How much did the city spend on this endeavor? Over 20 million on the land alone, I believe. Although, probably not as much as that really nice police substation in south San Jose that's likely falling apart...

Old 12-08-2013, 06:58 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,690,695 times
I know the Oakland homers love this but SJ was the teams best shot at long term success whether they can admit or not.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:02 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,358,955 times
Yeah, they keep making SJ news into Oakland news, even though Oakland news showed that Coliseum City has the team homeless for several years before they attempt to build the baseball phase.

Hello, Montreal?

Old 12-08-2013, 05:09 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,059,136 times
Hey, quick question.

Why don't the A's build a stadium in Walnut Creek-Fairfield area. They would pick up the suburban baseball fans plus the weather is much nicer for baseball than Oakland. Also you are fairly close to Sacramento and would probably pick some fans making the trip from there.

Any ideas why they are not considering this area for the team??

Old 12-08-2013, 11:25 PM

493 posts, read 784,054 times
i feel good about this news. The A's are infamous for their cheating and steroid use. sports are suppose to be about building character, teamwork, fair competition and sportsmanship, and i wouldnt want my kids growing up thinking that the magic pill > those values

so yes, stay in oakland, go somewhere else and take the giants with your for all i care, SJSU sports are plenty good for us

Go Sparta!

Old 12-08-2013, 11:46 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,140,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Hey, quick question.

Why don't the A's build a stadium in Walnut Creek-Fairfield area. They would pick up the suburban baseball fans plus the weather is much nicer for baseball than Oakland. Also you are fairly close to Sacramento and would probably pick some fans making the trip from there.

Any ideas why they are not considering this area for the team??
The Raiders could possibly do something like that. Football is more of an "event-based" draw, where people make a journey and spend a weekend day to watch it 8-10 times a year.

Baseball is a 6-month, almost every night attraction, though. Suburban parks are harder to fill regularly in baseball. You need a situation where people can get off work and walk over to the ballpark for a game. Look at the difference in attendance the Giants realized moving from the 'Stick to AT&T.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:06 AM

14,690 posts, read 14,672,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
The Raiders could possibly do something like that. Football is more of an "event-based" draw, where people make a journey and spend a weekend day to watch it 8-10 times a year.

Baseball is a 6-month, almost every night attraction, though. Suburban parks are harder to fill regularly in baseball. You need a situation where people can get off work and walk over to the ballpark for a game. Look at the difference in attendance the Giants realized moving from the 'Stick to AT&T.
You're exactly right. Unfortunately, the best spot designated for a new A's park in Oakland (or anywhere else) in the now-booming Uptown district was filled with condos for which then-mayor Brown received a nice kickback.
I'm just about to give up on my team, and the sport in general (which I've loved since I can remember) because of payroll inequality and the reality that only a handful of organizations ever have a real chance at a championship due to economics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland