Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 12:54 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,045,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The short answer: Because it's NOT L.A.
I was originally going to also hit LA in my original plan but I was reminded that I can always just fly there. I wanted to see the Pacific and the Golden Gate at least that's why I am heading over to San Fran. It fits perfect into my route as well since my next stop will either be Glacier National Park or Yellowstone.

Hows Lake Tahoe that time of year? I am suspecting you guys would know considering you are close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 04:43 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
Lol I was asking about bars that weren't gay bars bro...July usually is overcast in SF? Why do people live in this part of California? lol Can't swim, cold water, pollution, and those smelly seals on Pier 39.
Maybe because some of us don't LIKE sunny, warm, humid weather? I know, what a concept.

Not being snarky, but it really is surprising how many people think everyone likes warm weather! I personally love the cool/temperate climate here, and having been born in Maryland, I wouldn't take back those humid summers for anything. It's usually pleasant in SF, not too hot or cold, but a warm beach with warm water does not exist north of LA. We like our beaches for surfing and sight-seeing, not laying out for a tan. And while the official "foggy season" is more like August-October, that fog can roll in at any time of year. Remember, we're on a Peninsula surrounded by water on three sides - so of course fog and wind is common, especially if you're on the west/ocean side.

That being said, there are many other things that make it a great city! Lots of fabulous restaurants, bars/clubs, museums, gorgeous views (if the fog is clear), outdoor activities, etc. You'll have fun here, despite our cold beaches, and should find plenty to do. Santa Cruz is also a nice day-trip, and might be warmer than SF at the water. Oh, but don't forget the other reason we don't often go swimming - SHARKS!!

P.S. San Francisco actually has among the lowest pollution/smog counts of any big city, if I'm not mistaken, so I'm not sure where you heard it's high here. My mother has severe asthma, and chose this location (when my father was offered a few choices for work transfer in 1983) specifically because of air quality.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-14-2013 at 05:25 PM..

Old 12-14-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I was originally going to also hit LA in my original plan but I was reminded that I can always just fly there. I wanted to see the Pacific and the Golden Gate at least that's why I am heading over to San Fran. It fits perfect into my route as well since my next stop will either be Glacier National Park or Yellowstone.

Hows Lake Tahoe that time of year? I am suspecting you guys would know considering you are close.
LA is about a 5-6 hour drive WITHOUT traffic, so yeah - probably best to save that for another trip!

I used to live in South Lake Tahoe, so I know the weather there very well. Usually it's beautiful in the summer, averaging mid-70s to low-80s, if that, and generally gets a fair amount of sun. It can be unpredictable, though, and snow in the summer isn't unheard of! One of my friends attended the high school in Truckee, and it snowed on her graduation day. But it's usually nice in the summer, and the lake is absolutely gorgeous.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-14-2013 at 05:25 PM..

Old 12-14-2013, 05:00 PM

Btw, we have an old joke here: Know how you can spot a tourist in the summer? They'll be wearing shorts, sandals, and a newly-purchased "San Francisco" sweatshirt.

Tourists never dress appropriately, and end up having to buy warmer clothes when they arrive - so bring a light jacket, long pants, etc, and always layer in case a sunny morning turns into a foggy afternoon (or vice versa). Also remember to wear comfortable shoes, as getting around often requires a lot of walking, sometimes up very steep hills.

Just to prepare you, here's what our beaches (Ocean Beach) look like at any given time... don't remember the specific month, but I'm pretty sure this was in spring or summer. Oh, and my friend's attire is what we call "beach wear" around here - LOL.

But if you get lucky, this is also what you can see! (Fort Funston on a clear summer day)

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-14-2013 at 05:28 PM..

Old 12-14-2013, 08:58 PM

830 posts, read 486,919 times
Since you're driving to SF from Yosemite in July, you'll get to see the classic SF summer weather pattern. On the way from Yosemite, you'll pass through the central valley of California, where temperatures are likely to be over 100F, and then when you arrive in SF, it will be 55-60 and foggy. (probably)

As far as bars, I would suggest just going to Valencia Street in the Mission district. Between 16th and Valencia and 24th and Valencia there are dozens of bars of all different kinds. No gay bars though, at least not that I'm aware of. Lots of good food options on Valencia as well.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:16 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
poor easterners. I think So CA beaches are pretty miserable mostly without a wet suit. Maybe in October. The beaches of Catalina are not bad...but they are about it.

There is no place in CA with beaches competitive in the summer with say Montauk.

And the climate in SF sucks. Always has. That is why most Californians live in So CA. And there is not one climate in SF. Every few blocks. Further out the peninsula is livable.

Go for food. Great foodie place. Eat well. It is all those poor souls have.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
And the climate in SF sucks. Always has. That is why most Californians live in So CA. And there is not one climate in SF. Every few blocks. Further out the peninsula is livable.

Go for food. Great foodie place. Eat well. It is all those poor souls have.
Speak for yourself! I love the weather up here, and you couldn't pay me enough to live in LA... but to each his/her own, I suppose.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:28 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Anyone who gets only one day to spend in San Francisco and decides to waste it at the beach deserves to be at the beach in July in San Francisco.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:38 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,045,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Anyone who gets only one day to spend in San Francisco and decides to waste it at the beach deserves to be at the beach in July in San Francisco.
For someone who has not gone out further west than Denver and never seen the Pacific Ocean.....

Old 12-15-2013, 10:55 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
For someone who has not gone out further west than Denver and never seen the Pacific Ocean.....
Yes, because you can see the beach and the Pacific all up and down the California coast. Do as some have recommended--visit Point Reyes or go see Bodega Bay--breathtaking! They are an hour outside the City. Head down to Monterey. Beautiful!

To come to one of the most interesting, eclectic and vibrant cities in America for only a day and not enjoy its urban fabric, though is weird. Why come to SF at all? Why not just simply go to Santa Cruz or Half Moon Bay?

Coming from Yosemite, it would be easier to go to Big Sur--the coastline there is the most unbelievably beautiful in America. Why waste your time going to SF if you don't care about seeing the City? There are much better beaches between Yosemite and here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland