Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 02:54 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,525,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I doubt it. Most SF firefighters and police officers live outside the city.
With that kind of salary why not pacific heights or st. Francis woods? mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-25-2013 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: not the place for your personal unhappiness - stick to the topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 03:20 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,077,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
With that kind of salary why not pacific heights or st. Francis woods? Unless they are initimidated by living around honest hard working people who have earned it through education and hard work instead of robbing taxpayers.
If that's where you live, then I think you've already answered your own question.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:39 PM

4,632 posts, read 12,338,229 times
This thread is not about where taxes from SF go (which would be mainly property taxes), but rather a campaign against municipal employees wages, and benefits. I wonder if these same people are complaining after Loma Prieta in 89, or a big fire that kills people is being fought, or the educated individuals in the building departments demanding adherence to minimum building code standards?
Face it, some of these people ARE highly educated, and ARE the reason SF residents have one of the highest quality lives in the world. I worked in the construction industry my entire adult life (and Summers as a kid) in the bay area, and have a degree in construction inspection. There was more money for me to stay in private industry. If you desire a lesser standard just move to a poor red state without these standards and it will become apparent how lucky SF residents really are.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:05 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,410,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
I hate to break it to you, but 100,000 bucks in the bay area is simply middle class.

Also, is making 320,000 dollars a year really an outrageous sum when you run the 11th largest police department in the United States?

Complain all you want, but the problem isn't outrageous public sector jobs, it's that jobs in the private sector have simply gotten worse in terms of pay and benefits.

I keep wondering who these people are that demand that everyone have less and less in a country that is getting richer and richer.
Median household income in SF is actually $73K
San Francisco County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
If you break it down by 1 person, 2 person, and 3 person households, it appears that median salary is more like $60K.
https://www.city-data.com/income/inco...alifornia.html

So no $100K is not "simply middle class." And keep in mind that a pay hike for a public sector worker represents a pay cut (higher taxes) for the rest of us. Hence you can stop wondering "who these people are that demand that everyone have less and less." They are people who are tired of seeing pay cut after pay cut, i.e. tax after tax, and are tired of the caste system we have evolved.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:20 PM

4,632 posts, read 12,338,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Median household income in SF is actually $73K
If you break it down by 1 person, 2 person, and 3 person households, it appears that median salary is more like $60K.

So no $100K is not "simply middle class." And keep in mind that a pay hike for a public sector worker represents a pay cut (higher taxes) for the rest of us. Hence you can stop wondering "who these people are that demand that everyone have less and less." They are people who are tired of seeing pay cut after pay cut, i.e. tax after tax, and are tired of the caste system we have evolved.
You've fallen for the deception in the thread that was called total compensation! This means wages and benefits. Add retirement, healthcare, dental, paid time off, and their wages are not $100,000 a year, and probably closer to the $60,000 to $70,000 range.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:53 PM

24,419 posts, read 27,112,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Seems like public workers are driving up our rents.
LOL

I think it is perfectly fine paying people who put their lives at risk a high salary such as Police Officers and Fire Fighters. I even think it's fine giving them benefits. Where I draw the line is pensions... I mean having all three is a huge burden on tax payers when the average worker is very lucky to have just two of the above.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:53 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,077,378 times
[quote=wutitiz;32725702]Median household income in SF is actually $73K

Middle class doesn't refer to the statistical income, it refers to the quality of life one can attain (home ownership, education, leisure, savings, etc).

San Francisco is the least affordable city to live in in the U.S (or at least in the top 5). 100k is a solidly middle class salary in this region.

Also, median income includes people on welfare, retired persons, etc... What happens when you assess only the salary of college educated 35 year olds (and compare that to a police officer's salary).

Old 12-23-2013, 06:01 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,645,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
This thread is not about where taxes from SF go (which would be mainly property taxes), but rather a campaign against municipal employees wages, and benefits. I wonder if these same people are complaining after Loma Prieta in 89, or a big fire that kills people is being fought, or the educated individuals in the building departments demanding adherence to minimum building code standards?
Face it, some of these people ARE highly educated, and ARE the reason SF residents have one of the highest quality lives in the world. I worked in the construction industry my entire adult life (and Summers as a kid) in the bay area, and have a degree in construction inspection. There was more money for me to stay in private industry. If you desire a lesser standard just move to a poor red state without these standards and it will become apparent how lucky SF residents really are.
Most recent large scale disaster (the plane crashing), SFFD ran over a girl twice. I have very little doubt that the quality of SFFD and SFPD is lower now than 20 years ago.

And the whole hero card is getting tired, especially for SFFD. How many firemen have died in the past decade? There are people who risk their lives, when the situation calls for it, for free. A lot of people are willing to lay it all out for fellow human being, without thinking about it. I will give you an example with me - and no I don't want credit, since you have no idea who I am in real life and I could care less if my online personality gets credit. There was a woman being pushed by a guy on the intersection of Kearny and Columbus. A bunch of idiots were sitting there staring. I called 911 and then ran up to the guy and got between him and the woman. Did I risk my life - no, but the guy COULD have had a knife. But I didn't even think about that. I saw a woman being shoved and reacted instinctively.

The point of this story is that a lot of people would try to help a human being in distress. So the whole "just you wait" is annoying.

Oh and I have needed SFPD twice and both time they were completely worthless.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:40 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,525,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Most recent large scale disaster (the plane crashing), SFFD ran over a girl twice. I have very little doubt that the quality of SFFD and SFPD is lower now than 20 years ago.
Then created a prolonged drama to hide the incident and being secretive. And they had the nerve to call a press conference right after the accident and praise themselves 'heroes'. The air crew evacuated everyone alive and then SFFD killed one through criminal negligence. Then they put out the fire in an empty plane and thought they were heroes!

More recently one of the SFFD guy was driving the fire truck drunk and hit a motorcycle.

If you call up SFFD ambulance they will bill you a thousands of dollars for a 2 mile ride even though tax payers already paid for the ambulances and fire fighters.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:34 AM

438 posts, read 1,534,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Oh, please tell me where it was you were going to work in the private sector and retire at 55 and get annual pension of $200k+ plus free health care for the rest of your life? Please tell, inquiring minds would like to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland