Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:08 PM

6 posts, read 12,615 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a relocation from Boston to California, likely Berkeley or Oakland. We will be visiting this spring to explore. How is the area around University Ave and San Pablo Ave in Berkeley? I would be driving to work and my husband using the BART to commute to work. Is this area walkable? Would it be a bad idea to walk the 1.5 mile or so to downtown Berkeley or is it safer to take the bus? We are also interested in the Rockridge area of Oakland but I've noticed there seem to be mostly houses in that area and not too many apartment rentals. Are there any other areas of Oakland that are walkable/safe with a decent commute to San Francisco? Based on the past posts that I've read, opinions on the safety of many areas are quite varied. We are in our early 30s and don't plan on having children so schools are not a concern. We live in Back Bay in Boston and enjoy being able to walk everywhere but we are also aware we will be driving much more in the bay area than Boston. Thank you for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 08:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Check out Alameda. Not on BART line, but has bus to BART. Has express bus to SF. Safe, charming town, lots of Victorian buildings. Close to Berkeley, Oakland, SF. Is actually an island, but doesn't seem like one as far as getting on and off of it. No giant bridges, etc.

You can get views of SF, lots of water views, places with docks on a canal type waterway, etc. Farmer's market, decent places to eat or go out to. I love Alameda :-)

People wonder why Alameda has remained such a little secret gem, and I think it's because it's not right on the BART line. But, it's not that inconvenient and worth it, IMO.

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Transportation | City of Alameda

Quality of Life | City of Alameda

Alameda Victorians: Architectural tour of city - SFGate

Old 01-17-2014, 10:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
University and San Pablo is a little transitional. No groceries in walking distance but restaurants and such, it is closer to walk to North Berkeley BART. I don't really like it over there.

Look around areas like uptown, piedmont ave, Temescal and Grand Lake. All will be fairly comparable in safety to where you are leaving and pretty walkable at least to restaurants and night life. Drug stores and groceries, YMMV. (A little bit of property crime, not much violent crime, serious violent crime is like once every 5 years or more). You can also try Jack London, but it is less walkable and neighborhoody than other places. It is a shiny new condo/loft zone. I'd consider all of the areas I mentioned much nicer than San Pablo/university. Way less sketchy characters.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:26 PM

11 posts, read 18,727 times
The San Pablo Ave / University Ave area has a walk score of 89. There are lot’s of cafe’s, markets, etc. around. A new library branch recently opened up near the intersection.

San Pablo Corridor, Berkeley

The area can look a little dicey at that busy intersection. It’s always good to have street smarts, but it is a safe to walk to downtown and if you can’t handle it, you probably wouldn’t do well in any urban environment.

Biking is a great way to get around the flats of Berkeley and you’ll cover a lot more ground quickly using the convenient Bicycle Boulevards.

StreetFilms: Berkeley’s Bike Boulevards | Streetsblog New York City

There have been recent homocides in the West Berkeley area, but they were not random acts of violence.

West Berkeley neighbors ask for answers after homicide | Berkeleyside

Crime seems to be on the uptick a mile or so away in South Berkeley.

South Berkeley robberies on the rise near Ashby BART | Berkeleyside

Another thing to consider (which bothers some) is the noise coming from from Union Pacific trains that run in far West Berkeley. The closer you get to the Bay, the louder the whistles will sound.

Last edited by Leo.city.data; 01-17-2014 at 10:38 PM..

Old 01-17-2014, 10:36 PM

The neighborhoods I mentioned in Oakland are all safer than th San Pablo corridor in Berkeley. The only thing going for it above the places I mentioned is that the north Berkeley BART station is a bit safer than 19th or MacArthur. But not so many people are walking from north Berkeley BART and it is in the middle of a quiet residential area. 19th and MacArthur are in the mididle of busy commercial streets with lots of foot traffic and bus traffic. Way more eyes in the street with you. I wouldn't live west of Sacramento in Berkeley, that's really the line of sketchy/not sketchy below university. The mainstream grocery stores are far as well, but mi Tierra is pretty awesome. And there is grocery outlet. But if you want Safeway/trader joes they are all 1-2 miles away.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:16 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,909 times
I've lived in Oakland for the past 6 years and I can tell you that it is not like the Back Bay. I grew up in MA and lived in Boston through college. Unlike the Back Bay, you are not protected from the lower classes in Oakland. I never worried about being robbed at gunpoint in Boston. In Oakland, the middle class areas are not protected here. At least in my opinion. So, keep that in mind. You'll have to be more vigilante out here!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:56 PM

74 posts, read 149,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The neighborhoods I mentioned in Oakland are all safer than th San Pablo corridor in Berkeley. The only thing going for it above the places I mentioned is that the north Berkeley BART station is a bit safer than 19th or MacArthur. But not so many people are walking from north Berkeley BART and it is in the middle of a quiet residential area. 19th and MacArthur are in the mididle of busy commercial streets with lots of foot traffic and bus traffic. Way more eyes in the street with you. I wouldn't live west of Sacramento in Berkeley, that's really the line of sketchy/not sketchy below university. The mainstream grocery stores are far as well, but mi Tierra is pretty awesome. And there is grocery outlet. But if you want Safeway/trader joes they are all 1-2 miles away.
Don't forget that Berkeley Bowl West is at Heinz and Ninth, two blocks west of San Pablo. I'd say it's one of the best grocery stores in the East Bay.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:41 PM

540 posts, read 652,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I've lived in Oakland for the past 6 years and I can tell you that it is not like the Back Bay. I grew up in MA and lived in Boston through college. Unlike the Back Bay, you are not protected from the lower classes in Oakland. I never worried about being robbed at gunpoint in Boston. In Oakland, the middle class areas are not protected here. At least in my opinion. So, keep that in mind. You'll have to be more vigilante out here!
Sure you do. Roxbury is so nice and nobody leaves that area right.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:01 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,909 times
You're right about Roxbury. Although, I don't know what it is like now. I was addressing the Back Bay only. I do love living in Oakland (much more than SF -- for various reasons) I admit that I really pushed it with my posting and I apologize. I just think you have to be more aware out here compared to the Back Bay! That's all.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbehs View Post
Don't forget that Berkeley Bowl West is at Heinz and Ninth, two blocks west of San Pablo. I'd say it's one of the best grocery stores in the East Bay.
It is a great market. Still 1 mile away .

I shop there often
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland