Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 12:54 PM

76 posts, read 108,717 times

Advertisements

I've posted a lot lately about our search for a home in the East Bay. To recap, we are a family of three with a four year old daughter, looking for:

*safe, family friendly town
*decent commute to Emeryville
*townhome/duplex/SFH (no large apartment complexes)
*budget up to $2,500 for a 2 bedroom

We have been focused on Alameda but there is very little inventory in our price range, competition is fierce and I'm running out of hope that we'll find anything. I'm also looking in Walnut Creek and Castro Valley. But, we really only care about elementary schools, not middle or high schools, since we'll be moving again in the next few years. So...are there other towns out there that meet our criteria but offer good elementary only schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 04:34 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
There's a good elementary school in upper Rockridge, north Oakland. There's a good one in Claremont, adjacent to upper Rockridge, but in Berkeley. There are probably good elementary schools in north Berkeley as well. Albany has good schools, and good rents, relatively speaking. You can get a nice place for $2500 in Albany.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:51 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
No. Read all previous posts and threads where countless posters have been taking time to help you and advise you. As much as we'd love to pull a rabbit out of our hats for you, what you want ain't there. You will have to compromise. This is a recording.

You could try asking the questions in Spanish. Answers would be the same.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:19 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,706 times
Albany is tough on that budget these days if you don't want to be in an apartment building, unfortunately. Prices and inventory tend to be on par with the East End of Alameda. The Claremont elementary school (John Muir) is not very high performing (Great Schools 4)--I'm guessing Ruth4Truth is thinking of the Oakland school near Claremont (Chabot, Great Schools 10). But you will probably not find a 2 BR in either area in your price range, so probably moot.

I would keep hunting in Alameda (being open to the West End) and also add to your list, if you haven't already considered them:
- Dimond District of Oakland (Sequoia Elementary--several friends with kids here who adore it)
- Glenview District of Oakland (Glenview Elementary)--may be out of your price range but worth a look
- El Cerrito near Albany border (Madera and possibly Harding Elementary--have friends who like Harding a lot though it's not as high performing if you measure by test scores)--some parts are walkable to Solano Avenue, which is a cute commercial district
- Kensington (Kensington Elementary)--not sure what prices there are like these days but it has the advantage of being off the beaten path for many renters so competition may not be as fierce

These would all keep your commute under half an hour on average (Glenview/Dimond may take a bit longer in the evening but tend to be pretty quick in the morning, barring any I-80 craziness)--not sure how much more than that is decent in your view, since people's tolerance for that varies a lot.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:01 AM

243 posts, read 467,420 times
Single Family houses in Bay Area are for rich. There is nothing wrong with living in apartments, just find a decent one.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:15 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Jane,
I'd say your best bet is to start with a search on greatschools.org and base your search on that.
I have a friend with kids at Chabot Elementary School - Oakland, California - CA - School overview. They think the school is wonderful. The area is great, near Rockridge / Claremont. One of the best areas in the Bay IMO.

I secured my first rental through this website hotpads.com Apartments for Rent in Oakland, CA - 204 Rentals - HotPads
I was living in England at the time and managed to secure a place from there!

Here's a condo in Rockridge:
312 63rd St, Oakland, CA - For Rent - Powered by Postlets

Excellent location. But at $2995 you will have to up your budget.

Other areas I would look at are Montclair, Trestle Glen/Lakeshore and Crocker Highlands in Oakland, and Elmwood area in Berkeley. You may be lucky. All good family friendly areas but checkout the schools.

Remarkably came across this house in your budget in Trestle Glen:
725 Haddon Pl, Oakland, CA - For Rent - Powered by Postlets
Trestle Glen is lovely but not sure about the local school. You would have to check with Oakland Unified School District.

Here are a couple of places in Alameda in your budget:
1539 Encinal Ave Apt 7, Alameda, CA - For Rent - Powered by Postlets

1807 Lincoln Ave Apt E, Alameda, CA - For Rent - Powered by Postlets

I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:33 AM

Thanks everyone for the additional suggestions, very helpful and exactly what I was looking for. Will add these areas to our list and keep on searching!

Old 02-26-2014, 10:18 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Jane you may like this news. I just did a quick check for you:

That house / condo I posted in Trestle Glen $2450 per month:
725 Haddon Pl, Oakland, CA - For Rent - Powered by Postlets
is zoned for an excellent 10/10 school, Crocker Highlands elementary:

School and District Boundaries Map | GreatSchools

This is an excellent school in a beautiful area of Oakland (I promise you - you will not be disappointed - do a walk about with google street maps).

Trestle Glen has great walkability to the shops and lake too.

I'd get on this one quickly if I were you!

Old 02-26-2014, 11:48 AM

Cruithne - thank you so much for the additional legwork. As an example of what we're running into, the Trestle Glen property is exactly what we're looking for, but it is already rented.

Shoot me now.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:53 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I love Trestle Glen, one of my fave neighborhoods in Oakland! Very picturesque, and close to walkable areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland