Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,382 times

Advertisements

Is car theft a legitimate worry in Oakland? I've read recent headlines that Oakland's car theft rate has skyrocketed in recent years, but I'm wondering -- does this affect Oakland residents on a daily basis? Are people in Oakland wary of leaving their car in certain areas? I'm curious.

recent headline about Oakland car theft
[url=http://oaklandnorth.net/2013/11/14/oakland-a-growing-hotbed-for-auto-theft/]Oakland a growing hotbed for auto theft | Oakland North[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 03:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdani View Post
Is car theft a legitimate worry in Oakland? I've read recent headlines that Oakland's car theft rate has skyrocketed in recent years, but I'm wondering -- does this affect Oakland residents on a daily basis? Are people in Oakland wary of leaving their car in certain areas? I'm curious.

recent headline about Oakland car theft
Oakland a growing hotbed for auto theft | Oakland North
Not especially.

But if you have one of the hondas from the 80s to the mid 90s where Honda only had 7 key variations and you can use a ballpoint pen to open the door, you definitely should worry. Those cars are really easy to steal, and their parts are valuable.

Also Toyotas from a similar era are a hot commodity because the Lexus and Toyota parts are interchangeable. It is pretty hard to steal a newer car these days.....so someone needs to be pretty committed.

The Ten Most Stolen Cars In America And The Three You Should Steal

Old 03-05-2014, 05:28 PM

587 posts, read 1,411,052 times
With all due respect, its not just Oakland, the entire Bay Area is the car theft capital of America. Its just as bad, if not worse, in Vallejo. The rate is high in San Francisco as well. Five Bay Area cities made the top ten worst cities for car theft in America list.

Auto thefts plague Bay Area - San Jose Mercury News

However, the good thing about the Bay Area is that many houses are equipped with built-in garages, especially in San Francisco. When I lived in SF, the car was always parked in the garage of the house. And it could be worse. At least the Bay Area is not the carjacking capital like Newark, New Jersey. It must be scary driving a car in Essex County, NJ.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:16 PM

365 posts, read 779,700 times
I see much more shattered glass among the curb when walking around San Francisco then I do in Oakland. But, the only parts of Oakland I walk around in are Piedmont Ave. neighborhood, Grand Lake, Lake Merritt, Rockridge. I imagine it is as bad as San Francisco, if not worse, in some of the sketchier Oakland neighborhoods.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:21 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
It's all over the Bay Area. I used to park my car on the street in West Oakland and nothing happened other than some kids throwing a rock through a window on a hot summer night. Glad to have a garage at my new apartment now, but I honestly never worried about my car getting stolen much. Common sense dictates that you NEVER leave ANY visible objects in the car in urban areas. My father learned this the hard way when he left his government issued laptop in the back seat of a rental car near Crissy Field in SF. We were gone maybe 10 mins and it was gone. Broad daylight, mind you. Luckily, he got it back the next day. Something tells me that if it has been a personal Macbook, he wouldn't have been so lucky.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:21 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,869 times
Car theft is the least of your worries in Oaklandmod cut.

Car theft is a pretty common crime in the Bay Area though, not just Oakland. Keep your car parked in either a garage or a busy area. Don't park it in a quiet lot or back alley.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-06-2014 at 02:34 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 03-05-2014, 09:04 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Drive a stick.

A lot of cars have been stolen in my neighborhood.... except our manual shifts....

Old 03-06-2014, 10:06 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
^^^ I was just going to say that.

Lots of cars stolen in the Bay Area... family members cars have been stolen and none were stolen in Oakland.

That said, SF and Oakland are not car friendly when your car is parked on the street.

Way too many dings, scratches and popped windows.

One of my friends is on her third car in 5 years... she works in SF and it's amazing what her cars look like after 6 months and Oakland is not much better.

Anyone with a car they care about needs at a minimum off street parking... garage is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland