Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:13 PM

12 posts, read 15,855 times

Advertisements

91% of international buyers in CA bought their home in Southern California.

International buyers like the Southern California real estate market

It seems home prices are high in the Bay Area because the job market is strong, so people are stuck there because they have to work there and price is inflated from local buyers. The Bay Area doesn't seem to have that "dream" cachet Los Angeles where people from around the world think its fabulous and want to be there. It seems most intl people who buy in the Bay Area are connected to Silicon Valley in some way. I think only NYC surpasses LA when it comes popular/prestigious/dream locales in America for rich jet setting international people.

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 07:04 PM

23,517 posts, read 23,995,040 times
Having lived in both places extensively, LA has this "Hollywood" style and movie star vibe that has been amplified by the media all over the world. People who have never lived there, think LA is all glamor and glitz. Parts of it are, but only a small subset of the population actually lives that lifestyle. Most in LA are working and struggling to make ends meet.

The Bay Area has a much larger middle to upper-middle class and while it is not as glamorous, the quality of life is much better up here, IMO.

IMO, the Bay Area is more desirable than Southern California. The property prices reflect that high demand.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:49 PM

371 posts, read 454,329 times
Not sure if 'SoCal troll' or just simpleminded, nonetheless I proceed with caution:

The answer is obvious: Southern California offers much bigger mansions and is much more considerate towards people with large wallets. Of course, as the person above me suggested, since Southern California isn't filled with upper middle-class, constant mobility, stronger financial families and individuals like Northern California is--there's much more room for people with money.

Los Angeles is like a fantasy, but the Bay Area is an economic reality. L.A. is where you go to spend your money, the Bay Area is where you go to get your money in the first place. Although it's a little subjective, I find that the Bay Area's wealthy elite, or simply those who buy big houses in Pacific Heights, East Bay hills, South Bay woods, or Marin and Sonoma counties are more 'sophisticated' in their line of work.

Plus our houses are smaller in the Bay Area, primarily because of density issues so that's another reason.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:27 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Haha jealous troll trying to start a flame war. You are as transparent as saran wrap. Nothing to see here folks.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:13 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsantamonica View Post
91% of international buyers in CA bought their home in Southern California.

International buyers like the Southern California real estate market

It seems home prices are high in the Bay Area because the job market is strong, so people are stuck there because they have to work there and price is inflated from local buyers. The Bay Area doesn't seem to have that "dream" cachet Los Angeles where people from around the world think its fabulous and want to be there. It seems most intl people who buy in the Bay Area are connected to Silicon Valley in some way. I think only NYC surpasses LA when it comes popular/prestigious/dream locales in America for rich jet setting international people.

Why?
Hollywood is symbolic of the American dream. As a result, Los Angeles (Southern California, and New York City) enjoys and maintains that "dream" cachet.

On the other hand,

San Francisco Bay Area is synonymous with technology. As a result, it enjoys and maintains that "importance" and "influential" cachet.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:01 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
When SoCal's real estate becomes more expensive then and only then will I believe that.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:31 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
When SoCal's real estate becomes more expensive then and only then will I believe that.
Regional Sales Data

SF Bay Area: $675,000
Los Angeles Metropolitan Area: $383,300

County Sales Data

Marin: $983,690
San Mateo: $965,000
San Francisco: $964,670
Santa Clara: $801,000
Orange County: $677,700
Contra Costa: $629,570
Alameda: $627,550
Ventura: $558,590
San Diego: $476,780
Sonoma: $467,860
Napa: $466,670
Los Angeles: $389,090
Riverside County: $302,370
Solano: $288,300
San Bernardino: $185,590

California Association of Realtors, 2014

Last edited by Stephen1110; 04-07-2014 at 03:50 AM..

Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 AM

12 posts, read 15,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Bay Area is more expensive because you guys have better jobs at the moment. It's expensive because people working there need a place to live and there is regional demand.

I was wondering why it doesn't have global appeal amongst rich people who roam the globe who aren't tied down to one location. This is something completely different. People who don't work in the US who are looking for second homes. And 91% of them in California chose SoCal. Thats a staggering amount.

Even Bay Area's super rich seem to all buy homes in Malibu and Bel Air (the Ellisons, Elon Musk and the rest), but I know so many super rich people here in SoCal and have never heard of anyone here buying a home in Bay Area. More of our super rich are more apt to buy a luxe home in Hawaii or NYC.. not a mansion in the Bay Area.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:18 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
It's expensive because demand is greater than supply.

I actually don't understand the appeal of SoCal. If you want that kind of lifestyle then live in South Florida because it practically offers everything SoCal does except it's nicer. They have nicer beaches, warm crystal clear blue oceans, new modern buildings, very clean streets, very little homeless, gorgeous houses and condos and it's a fraction of the price with no state income tax. SoCal has more grimy places than nice, yet you still get charged a premium to live in a suburban environment, it doesn't make sense to me. San Francisco also charges a premium, but it is one of the few cities you don't need a car, not to mention, it's one of the most beautiful and unique cities in the country.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:45 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsantamonica View Post
People who don't work in the US who are looking for second homes. And 91% of them in California chose SoCal.
Good. We don't need a bunch of vapid Eurotrash, nouveau-riche Emiratis, Putinite mafia scions, and Chinese ruling party oligarchs jacking our property values up even higher than they already are. Let them parade their Botoxed, spray-tanned, silicone-implanted selves around Brentwood and Malibu. That's not what the Bay Area is about, nor has it ever been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland